Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Buying a Jaguar Car

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you so much for the post!
    You answered a lot of my questions!

Post Thanks / Like
    Ask how long the battery lasts without the car being driven. My battery on my new XJ Portfolio lasts 2 (two) weeks. Absolutely scandalous. They suggest it is not a defect, but a misuse of the car!!!!!
    I

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks David, Just going through this process and your advice is spot on.

Post Thanks / Like
    One of the paragraphs opens with: "Hire purchase is great."

I'm not as sure as everyone else here that this is such a tract of wisdom.

5. Likes lfc72 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd say HP is one of the simplest and easiest forms of car payment, after paying by cash obviously. Its also simpler to just sign a few papers at handover than fill in applications etc.
    trade in values are a fallacy. A garage will only ever give you bottom book. They may make it look better but all they're actually doing is giving you some of their discount against it. The cost to change will be the same, good or bad offer.
    That ad on TV that claims people saved thousands by selling their cars to them rather than trading in is a total lie. You only save if you sell the car privately and get more for it, as he OP explained. If the dealers hasn't offered an unbelievable trade in, you'll not get any better deal without a trade in.

My recent experiences tend to tally with the OP. I've always negotiated a good discount on used cars in the past ( merc would give £1000 off for asking) but having recently bought a Fiat 500 and a Jaguar XF-S I find things seem to have changed. The fiat, I couldn't get anything off. Perhaps my daughter falling in love with it had some influence but I pushed quite hard and nothing. Perhaps he knew I wasn't going to walk but he could fave offered me something to keep me happy and he didn't.
    On the jaguar I was determined but again, no. I got £500 off after much haggling, which on a £26,000 car is rubbish.
    We discussed the finance over several days, finally coming down to the just released jaguar used offer - 2 years warranty and 2 years servicing. Interest worked out at £300 more over the 3 year term than the bank so a good deal. Then the dealer calls back to say he's had the full details through and finds he has to fund part of that offer himself and can't afford I t with the discount . I guess I could have played hard ball but it can't be an easy call to make so I tended to believe him. After a bit of haggling we agree to split the difference, leaving me with £250 off. Not good.

A couple of things from experience though.
    1) what work does the car need? For example, a car that isn't due a service and had 4 ok tyres may generate a better discount than one with4 bald tyres. Mine need 2 - meaning the dealer was looking at the thick end of £500 to remedy. He has to replace the and he can't spend it on the car and offer it as a discount.
    2) extras. I was buying a Merc E class. We'd pushed the price as low as he'd go so I said ok, but I want a CD changer. We can't. Not enough left in the car. So I said, it doesn't need to be a new one. Pinch one out of another used car. Deal done. The same can be done with mats or even a change of alloys. All things are interchangeable.
    3) only on a cheaper car but I thought this a good trick. Bought a £1800 ford ka. Car came with 6 months MOT. Negotiated down to £1600 then said I want a years MOT. He obviously pushed back. So I said I'll pay for the test and obviously as the car is 100% (as you say) it will pass. I just want to start with 12 months. He has no choice as to refuse a no cost request will make him look like he's not confident in the car. So it goes in...and failed. He had to pay for the repairs.
    2012 XF 3.0D S Premium Luxury

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12