Thread: lambda sensor

Post Thanks / Like

lambda sensor

Hello everyone,

I have been using this forum for a while now and had great advice from all but this is the first time i have actually had a need to post a question...so hello

the car is a 2002 plate but only done approx 35000 miles

I recently purchased a elm diagnostic fault reader(from advice from this forum) as my engine diagnostice light has come on 3 times now and thought a bit of self diagnostics would be good prior to taking the car to my local garage. Each time the issue has been with the the o2 oxygen sensors and this time it is with fault code P1646 bank1 sensor 1 upstream. Note: the car recently passed its MOT (emissions test) with the engine light/p1646 fault code showing.

Getting the garage to change the sensors is starting to be quite expensive so I am thinking about doing it myself as I wouldnt be suprised if i change this one and then another one will fault !!!!!

My question is if anyone has any recommendations for changing bank 1 sensor 1 as it looks like the most awkward of all the sensors to change - took me a while to even spot it !, I cannot get my hand anywhere near that area due to pipes and engine, even the connector(wiring clip) at the other end of the sensor looks awkward to change? Possibly a socket that will reach down through the engine bay so i can wrench it from above?

I have had a look at possible other causes like hoses/wires and things look ok
    I have checked fuse 21 (i believe) and i take it if when popping it out the metal horse shoe shape is broken(which it is'nt) then fuse blown ?

thanks in advance for any replies/help on this

Paul

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the forum Paul, is your car an X-Type? If so then yes it's a bit more involved to change than the other three but if you are handy with the spanners, it's just a few nuts and bolts to get the inlet manifold off and then you need a suitable lambda socket to get the sensor out. Read this on how to change the plugs, it has step by step instructions on removing the manifold.

Jaguar Motor Project: Motor Project # 5 - Changing Plugs

By the way, if the car in 10 years old it might be worth changing the plugs while the manifold is off, also that guide says about using new manifold seals but I've had mine off twice now and never replaced a seal at all, just check them for any perishing or damage and give them a wipe over before refitting.

These are the only lambda sockets I could get to fit, there's not enough room to use the usual straight type.

Oxygen lambda sensor removal fitting sockets 22mm 7/8" 5060028084364 | eBay

I got my lambda sesnor off ebay from Grange Jaguar Swinton and was £68 delivered, you need the one with a grey plug.

Jaguar Oxygen Sensor upstream X Type C2S51801 / C2N3717 | eBay

Post Thanks / Like
    I have no mechanical knowledge at all but I changed the same o2 sensor very fidely but with the right preparation (tools) and your laptop at your side you should be able to do it and the sense of achievement when it's done is wonderful felt I could take on anything after that and as the other post said it would be advisable to change your plugs

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Topanga, Excellent, thanks for the answer thats exactly what i needed to know - yes its an x-type, only other thing i have done to the car is change the ambient air sensor below the radiator which was quite easy so this sounds a bit more of a challenge!

Saxon, thanks for the advice and hopefully i should be able to give it a go soon!

Post Thanks / Like
    hi topanga/saxon, did either of you torque the inlet manifold bolts when refitting? both say to refit in a particualr order but only one says to torque the bolts ?

Post Thanks / Like
    I never removed the inlet manifold to remove that sensor, it took me literally 10 minutes using that removal socket mentioned by topanga. All I did was remove the parts above the o2 sensor to create a bit of space, 22mm spanner on and gave the sensor a good whack with a lump hammer, then put on the removal socket and it came loose, unclip the grey connector off the metal holder, put in the new one and job done.
    Current Car:
    2017 XE R-Sport 25t 250Ps 18MY.

Previous Cars:
    2000 S-Type 3.0L SE Auto
    2004 X-Type 3.0L AWD SE Auto estate.
    2007 XK x150 4.2L Coupe

Resident Super Moderator.
    V6 X-Type Oil Sump Replacement Guide

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Ian, Thanks for the reply. The only parts i can see that may give me enough room is the metal holder you mention that holds the black and grey connectors for the 2 sensors , is that what you mean

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah and the pipework to inlet manifold, I removed all that and this gave me enough room to get access. It's at an angle on the end of the exhaust manifold.
    Current Car:
    2017 XE R-Sport 25t 250Ps 18MY.

Previous Cars:
    2000 S-Type 3.0L SE Auto
    2004 X-Type 3.0L AWD SE Auto estate.
    2007 XK x150 4.2L Coupe

Resident Super Moderator.
    V6 X-Type Oil Sump Replacement Guide

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi All,

Have just finished changing the sensor and warning light has reset ok, managed to do it without removing the manifiold like Ian advised. Was hassle though as took ages to get the sensor off and a few scratches on hand! took me nearly 3 hours in the end though as i coded all the parts that i disconnected with masking tape, bit paranoid from past expereince of other jobs!

thanks again everyone for all the advice regarding fitting and tools/parts to use

cheers

10. Likes Lancealot1969 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just doing my lambda sensor on my 1999 xj8, had taken the header tank off, and the heater diverter valve, then the bit#h of a job. The heatshield three times I droped my little socket wrench down through the engine. three torx t30 skrews and eventually afrer alot of swearing it was off. leaving it overnight with wd40 sprayed on the sensor so hopefully it should be sorted tomorrow with fingers crossed.
    Then I can get to enjoy my Cat again.

Wll the best.

Lance
    1998 Jaguar XJ8 4L LWB in Jaguar Tudor White, Huggy
    1999 Jaguar XJ8 4L LWB in Jaguar Tudor White, Celeste
    Above all, Have Fun