Thread: Me and my ideas?

Post Thanks / Like

Me and my ideas?

While sitting around thinking of things I can do to my car other than the usual boy racer stuff like after market wheels. I want to try to keep the car looking as factory standard as possible with exception to the rear quads I have fitted, I'd would like make it more personal when I came up with keyless entry, I have search the forum and could only find a question on the XK nothing for the X type I wonder if anyone would know what is required and if it would at least be feasible?

Anyone with any thoughts or suggestions would appreciate your input.
    Jaguar S type 2.7 diesel 2007. Liquid silver with full black leather
    interior, satnav, audio connectivity kit inbuilt

OriginalCaruso
    It's worth a thought but how would your insurance be affected?

Things to consider are a NFID tag and a box of tricks which hooks into the unlock wire. Android phones have a built in NFID reader...

Post Thanks / Like
    Youve already got keyless entry... it's that button on your key fob with an open padlock
    2002 Jaguar X-Type 2.5 V6 Automatic, Maroon Red (Sport)
    2000 Fiat Seicento 1.1, Blue (The Beast)

Post Thanks / Like
    Seriously though, these auto unlock things are pretty cool i think a couple of cars have at the minute when you get to a certain distance from your car and it uses a sensor in your key fob to unlock it or something?, And cant you use your android or iphone now to do this? Will probably cost a bomb to get the stuff installed but it would be Sick!
    2002 Jaguar X-Type 2.5 V6 Automatic, Maroon Red (Sport)
    2000 Fiat Seicento 1.1, Blue (The Beast)

OriginalCaruso
    Ford are fitting sensors under the rear bumper of their Kuga to automatically open the boot when you put your foot underneath - It must use some form of infrared sensor coupled with a proximity detector for the keyfob...

Post Thanks / Like
    You could possibly do something with Bluetooth. There's computer motherboards now with on-board BlueTooth that can be paired to a phone, and the computer configured to sleep automatically when you leave your desk and the BlueTooth source goes out of range (i.e. it only works if you take your phone with you).

You could possibly have a "walk away from the car and it locks itself", on the same principle. A Raspberry Pi and a USB BlueTooth adapter would be a good start, I would think. The GPIO on the Pi could then drive a relay (via a suitably beefy transistor) to control the locking.

OriginalCaruso
    @ElectronShepherd - I think you are onto something... nice idea!

Post Thanks / Like
    Excellent Ideas coming in I didn't think of Bluetooth I was thinking more on the lines of original Jag stuff but bluetooth is a much better idea! @electronshepard you have a brilliant idea there although personally I'm not 100% sure of all the terminology used so confuses me a little but I get the gist of it. I think I might look into costing as it maybe that the idea is dead before its even started but definitely worth looking into.
    Jaguar S type 2.7 diesel 2007. Liquid silver with full black leather
    interior, satnav, audio connectivity kit inbuilt

Post Thanks / Like
    Someone is using the same idea to control entry to a house (Dream Green House • Projects • Raspberry Pi & Bluetooth) and details on gettings Pi to control a relay via GPIO (general purpose input/output): Raspberry Pi – Driving a Relay using GPIO | SusaNET

10. Likes G4GRB liked this post
    WARNING: Contents may contain total cobblers
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not into keyless entry but I would like and might just do a keyless ignition 'START' button, its one of the things my wife's Mini has that I fancy!

Si.
    07 S-Type 2.7D SE with many toys, if it offered to massage my testicles while driving it wouldn't surprise me !
    This ones got a lightey up ashtray already Andy !!