Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Free bits and pieces

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Freebies

Quote Originally Posted by Owen
    What I would like to know is, why do people still insist on buying Norton Anti-virus and all its variations. It might work, sort of, but it adds 2 ton lead boots to your PC.
    The amount of people I speak to and tell them get rid, get a freebie!
    I just had a freebie from Norton. I was using AV 2006 and it was time to update my subscription. They gave me a free upgrade (full install files etc.) to 2008 and 250 days extra subscription.

Didn't cost a penny!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Free bits and pieces

The whole psychology surrounding scaring people who just want to use their computers and would rather not have to learn too much about viruses is just awful and it's the same scaremongering that nets PC World fat wads of cash for their 'repair' and virus removal services (not to mention sales of software). It's morally criminal and really gets to me when I hear peoples stories after having these people empty their wallets.

I personally would use AVG over NAV or McAfee even if they were free, well if I still used Windows but that's my advise for anybody who cares to hear my opinion.
    X-Type 2003 53 2.0d SE
    Sat-Nav ~ Leather Interior
    Voice Control ~ CDC ~ PF Mirrors
    Reverse Sensor ~ Four Wheels

Post Thanks / Like

Heres a great FREE program for getting rid of ALL spyware, Adware, Malware, Trojans, Dialers, Worms, KeyLoggers, HiJackers, Parasites, Rootkits, Rogue Security Products and many other types of threats etc not just the easy ones
    http://www.superantispyware.com/
    Mate had trojans on his PC making internet access impossible due to flashing security alerts.
    I told him about this but he couldnt download due to above so I installed and ran this on his PC from my copy on a CD and it cleared the lot out...good as new
    BuckMR2

07 XJ LWB Sovereign TDVi, 141k,
    X358 Grille, Modified Torque Convertor,
    DECARB'ED, Mina Stainless Bpr Grill,
    Redstuff Ceramics, 20" Callistos,
    Rear Entertainment , 2012 Nav
    DPF removed, EGRs deleted,
    Methanol injection..being finished as you read this.
    kitchen sink...
    12 Reg Qashqai+2 Teckna 2.0 TD Auto best bar none (for sale in General Items for sale)

Post Thanks / Like

Handy to know that Buck. Cheers.
    Get me a coffee and no-one gets hurt.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Freebies

Quote Originally Posted by stevem
    Same reason people buy PCs with Windows on, I guess - they don't realise there's a better way.
    Show me a way to run all my Windows based software and apps on Linux trouble free and I'll join you! Till then I'll be sticking with Microsoft.
    XF S 3D Portfolio,Polaris /Charcoal/Jet headlining, Parking pack, Heated steering wheel, Sills and Pedal kit, XFR body kit, Spires 20" wheels, Spires quad exhaust, Spires Remap to 305BHP! .

Post Thanks / Like

Heres a handy site that converts your video format,picture formats, units etc without having to install or buy anything
    For example the youtube vid I have of my X type...just entered the url of the video and it emailed me back a short while later with a link to download it in MPEG format from the format used in Youtube (flv???)
    www.YouConvertIt.com
    BuckMR2

07 XJ LWB Sovereign TDVi, 141k,
    X358 Grille, Modified Torque Convertor,
    DECARB'ED, Mina Stainless Bpr Grill,
    Redstuff Ceramics, 20" Callistos,
    Rear Entertainment , 2012 Nav
    DPF removed, EGRs deleted,
    Methanol injection..being finished as you read this.
    kitchen sink...
    12 Reg Qashqai+2 Teckna 2.0 TD Auto best bar none (for sale in General Items for sale)

Post Thanks / Like

Just out of curiosity, are there any unix or linux users who don't use an anti virus?

Post Thanks / Like

I use anti-virus, but only on my Windoze box. You're really only at risk of disaster if you run a UNIX/Linux system as root. And anyway it's much easier to get at the innards to fix things (with a rich included set of tools) than it is with Windoze, which is really a toy system that's been trying to grow up.
    2010 Kyanite Blue/Caramel 5.0 XKR

Post Thanks / Like

I have to smile at some of the comments from Linux users sometimes -

"Windoze, which is really a toy system that's been trying to grow up."

Actually it is Linux which is playing catch up, and to be fair it is doing really well, has come on in leaps and bounds. There are some clever people developing and supporting it.

As an engineer I chose the best tool for the job, sometimes Windows, sometimes MAC and sometimes Unix/Linux which is good for servers. Depends what you want it to do really.
    Regards, David.

Life is too short.......................

Post Thanks / Like

Makes me smile too, the ONLY reason Linux users have little trouble with virus/spyware/malware etc is it's relatively small user base, if it were the most popular system by miles they would be the ones needing protection. I use unix at work on server equipment and it fabulous for that job, with well written software it's incredibly stable and our servers often run for years without ever being rebooted or shutdown. But for user interactive tasks it's just not user friendly enough, I dual boot ubuntu with Win7 on my laptop at home, but the user experience is still not as good as windows, plus you just can't get Dj software for linux/ubuntu that's anywhere near as good as the one I use on Windows. As you say PCV, some OS are better at certain jobs than others.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast