Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Free bits and pieces

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Free bits and pieces

Quote Originally Posted by djdex
    .. the ONLY reason Linux users have little trouble with virus/spyware/malware etc is it's relatively small user base...
    It's certainly not the ONLY reason - UNIX/LInux had security built in from the start and the idea of letting apps screw with system files was never dreamed of, whereas it's the normal mode of operation in Windoze boxes (else why else would you need to reboot when you've installed a new or upgraded application?). And the fact that Windoze systems by default do lots of "clever" things like running scripts in emails without telling the user what's happening is the main reason it's so easy to infect them.

The "user experience" depends entirely on the window manager you're using, and there are quite a few to choose from in Linux, whereas Microsoft gives you the choice of take it or leave it. I agree the Windoze has improved mightily over thedecades but it has had rather a lot of cash pumped into it, hasn't it, so you'd think they'd have got it right by now, but how many security fixes do they release, and how frequently? Says it all, really.
    2010 Kyanite Blue/Caramel 5.0 XKR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scm
    why else would you need to reboot when you've installed a new or upgraded application?).

And the fact that Windoze systems by default do lots of "clever" things like running scripts in emails without telling the user what's happening is the main reason it's so easy to infect them.

... but how many security fixes do they release, and how frequently? Says it all, really.
    You don't or shouldn't have to if the software is written properly. One of the reasons I detest s/w like Norton/Symantics products (Ghost excepted, top program!), too many hooks into files it shouldn't have

That is because of the need to make the OS accessible to some users who are not that au fait with computers and would struggle if everything was locked down IMHO.

Again large user base means more malevolent threats and attacks, something MACs and Linux users don't have to contend with due to not really being worth it with the relatively small numbers.

My main source of free software is download.com as the software is checked and the risk of virus or malware is much reduced, never had a problem from there personally
    Regards, David.

Life is too short.......................

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure its down to the lower number of users to be fair, its not as user friendly as windows which means you have to know what your doing rather than following prompts, if you don't understand what your doing with the command line it is very easy to bugger up your system whereas windows asks you if your sure you want to make the change. This is the main reason Unix and Linux are classed as more secure. Factor in the greater percentage of Hackers/Crackers who are running the various attacks are bored children just playing with a bit of knowledge they have gained and you realise that Microsoft being the most used software is what they are familiar with.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by procomm
    its not as user friendly as windows which means you have to know what your doing rather than following prompts, if you don't understand what your doing with the command line it is very easy to bugger up your system whereas windows asks you if your sure you want to make the change. This is the main reason Unix and Linux are classed as more secure.
    The main reason? Come on, the main reason they're classed as more secure is that they had the security model designed in at an early stage, not bodged on top when Bill Gates finally cottoned on to the internet. Applications run in their own space and can't take out the OS (unless you try very hard) so you don't have to keep rebooting when they fail. Or when you install upgrades.

Factor in the greater percentage of Hackers/Crackers who are running the various attacks are bored children just playing with a bit of knowledge they have gained and you realise that Microsoft being the most used software is what they are familiar with.
    Now I'll agree with you here, and the main reason Windows is targetted is because it's easy - even kids can do it. Kids like toys.
    2010 Kyanite Blue/Caramel 5.0 XKR

Post Thanks / Like

just badly worded on my part i think, made sense when i wrote it lol

Post Thanks / Like

Windows v unix/Linux - I've heard it so many times! My advice is use what you are comfortable with and don't get all evangelical about it. I worked as a forensic computer examiner for five years and have worked with just about every variety, and if money was no option I would get a Mac book pro and duel boot it with a variant of windows.
    Day to day I just use an iPad.
    Re av s/ware consider Avast which is free and will auto upgrade etc. Not sure if avg is still putting out 'real' updates.

Another good free utility is irfanview. It is a graphic viewer which has a number of handy functions such as auto correcting your pictures and resizing pics.

Regards

Post Thanks / Like

Yes Infranview is good, used it before. I currently use FastStone image viewer which has lots of editing features despite the name.
    Regards, David.

Life is too short.......................

Post Thanks / Like

malwarebytes is also a good one, it found stuff that avg could not find on my pc. you have to update regular but it works fine and its FREEEEEE. i dont know heaps about PC,s but i am city and guilds and comptia qualified lol. the reason that unix and linux are so stable is because they are freeware o/s with code that can be freely obtained whareas windows seems to be a big secret where code is concerened.

Post Thanks / Like

Some good downloads are available from here too.

http://download.cnet.com/windows/?tag=hdr;brandnav
    My Wife just asked me for a double entendre............ so I gave her one!!

X-Type Saloon
    Black 2.2d Sport Premium

Post Thanks / Like

To assist with the risk of Windows s/w vulnerabilities, google "Secunia PSI".

There is a free "community" edition, which checks ALL the s/w on your PC, and alerts you the minute a new version comes out, so you don't wind up with old versions which may be risky/bugged. It'll also auto-install the upgrades for you, if you let it - kind of like Windows Update for everything other than the O/S itself.
    2010 XF 3.0D Portfolio S
    Not your average Jag driver...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast