Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking to buy a laptop/PC?? Read this first!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CARZ
    Just to give you guys a preview of how computer numbers play in the real world. I wont give u the specs of all 5 of my PC's...but will show you some of my main ones.

HP Pavillion DZ8000 Laptop
    screen = 17inch widescreen
    Video card = 256mb ATI Radeon X800 Mobile
    RAM = 1 gig
    Memory = 100 gig
    CPU = 3.4ghz Pentium 4HT
    age = 2 years old

I mainly use this as my development station...as well gaming. I can have Flash, Dreamweaver, IE, Firefox, AIM all running at the same time...and it wont hiccup a bit.

In the past 2 years ive only had to replace my harddrive due to a huge scratch on the disk. I believe the scratch was caused by the needle due to being shaken while running.

Due to having a P4 processor rather than a Centrino or Mobile....it generates a LOT of heat (comes with 4 fans on the bottom). I have never had a melt down problem before..nor has it shut off on me due to heat...but it does get burning hot around the harddrive (where your wrist would be laying)

Sony Vaio (forgot model number) - PC
    Video card = 128mb Nvidea FX5400 (upgraded from 32mb)
    RAM = 512 mb (upgraded from 12
    Memory = 200 gig (upgraded from 60)
    CPU = 2.0ghz Pentium 4
    age = 6 years old

This is one of my older units. I use it everyday for normal usage and a little bit of development. As you can see I have upgraded it a bit from original specs. It got a bit slow about 2 years ago and figured it was time for a change. The only problem I had was a blown modem from a thunderstorm.
    // 2010 Jaguar XFR
    // 2013 VW Beetle

Mac42
    What happend with that one looked like a double post LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Carz,

Great idea to have this thread.

I have a reasonable laptop (HP Pavilion Entertainment PC much like your own - around $2,000 (£1,000) about a year ago). I use it, in the main, to manipulate photographs. I shoot in RAW and store in either TIFF or JPEG after correcting the RAW file. I use CS2 and Elements5.

I back up to a 500 gig mass storage device (Packard Bell store and save 3500). One of these has already collapsed on me and I lost some good and some sentimental records. The replacement one is starting to make worrying noises like the heads are loose. I think it is because there is no fan in the device?

Anyway - I am contemplating buying a terrabyte split into two 500 so that I can back up the back up. Is there a mass storage device of good build quality that you would recommend?

Just for info - my printer is an Epson R1800 - soon to be replaced by an Epson 2500.

Thanks

John
    Cars that are parked, even perfect ones, are like notes on a sheet of paper: the silence is deafening.

Post Thanks / Like
    John, I am highly fond of Seagate and Western Digital. I think they offer a very nice selection of Harddrives......and are very reliable.

but your saying you want to split a 1 TB into 2 500's? That wouldn't be a good idea...if one crashes.....the other will as well. I suggest getting a webhost instead to backup your backup. I can offer you webspace (250gb) if you need, PM me if interested

Robinhood - I posted it twice, that way incase someone reads the thread for the first time......they will see it in the first post. Most people dont read each post and skip around
    // 2010 Jaguar XFR
    // 2013 VW Beetle

Post Thanks / Like
    John, I am highly fond of Seagate and Western Digital. I think they offer a very nice selection of Harddrives......and are very reliable.

but your saying you want to split a 1 TB into 2 500's? That wouldn't be a good idea...if one crashes.....the other will as well. I suggest getting a webhost instead to backup your backup. I can offer you webspace (250gb) if you need, PM me if interested
    Hi Carz,

Thanks for the offer. I discounted web hosting on the grounds of the time it takes to upload. I never even looked at the prices! Perhaps I need to consider it again? I spent a good hour uploading some Tiff files to the Epson site tonight. Photobucket is useful but it reduces images to thumbnails so print quality on A3 is impossible. I have a 7 meg broadband although not sure of the actual speeds from my exact location.

I explained my plan poorly - I planned to buys 2 500's to give me a terrabyte in total. I wasn't intending to buy a TB and partition it into 500 X 2.
    Cars that are parked, even perfect ones, are like notes on a sheet of paper: the silence is deafening.

Post Thanks / Like
    oh, ok..that makes sense

yes uploading to a host online does take some time, especially with large files. But on the plus side, atleast you can make a website and use it to showcase your work...as well as save.
    // 2010 Jaguar XFR
    // 2013 VW Beetle

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Looking to buy a laptop/PC?? Read this first!

- Second: what company?
    It seems that Dell has the cheapest computers however from past experiences, I have mixed reviews about it. I STRONGLY suggest that you stay away from Compaq, Gateway and Toshiba. They are the most unreliable computers I have ever worked with. Thier internal chips are rubbish and give out quickly. Companies such as Sony, HP and Alienware are companies I do suggest. However they are a little big pricey....but the price is well worth it.
    Alienware are actually a sub-company of Dell - they're just rebranded and are mainly aimed at gamers

In my opinion, you'd be better off buying a cheaper laptop and opting for a 3 year warranty - laptop screns especially are prone to failure within 3 years (due to "work hardening" of the video cable every time you open/close the lid) - this may be a few hundred $, but is worth it if something goes wrong!

Memory (RAM) - This is your harddrive for quick "on the fly" processesing and memory. The smaller the memory size...the quicker it fills up, the slower your cmputer gets. Generally they run anywhere from 128mb to 4 gigs depending on your computer. For any user, I would not suggest anything less than 256 or even 512 mb. Windows Vista alone requires about 512 to run efficiantly. 512 is also enough for moderate user as well. Advanced users should be fine with 1gig and up.
    I would probably recommend a minimum of at least 1GB these days - 2GB if possible, as RAM is dirt cheap and gives you the biggest performance gains for your money!

Processor Speed - These differ depending on the different processor chips. These chips are put straight into the motherboard and can not be changed. Laptops generally come slightly slower than PC's, but that doesnt mean you cant custom order your laptop to have a fast processor. Laptop makers are pushing towards the use of Centrino M....it uses less power and runs relatively cooler...but processer speed is less. PC's are running on Duo-Core chips, which also generate less heat and can process information faster.

For light to moderate users...anything in the 2-3mhz range should be fine. 2-2.5mhz is good for video watching and music playing...while doing some work on the side...2.5 - 3 is good for moderate game playing, 3mhz and up is good for advanced users. It is also good for heavy game playing. especially LAN games.
    Well, unless you're buying a PC in the 1980s, I don't think you'll be measuring the CPU speed in MHz...
    Paul
    ---
    '55 2.7d SE

Post Thanks / Like
    lol...im sorry PJ...i ment ghz....i was typing this up early in the morning...the coffee hadn't sunk in yet.

yes you are correct about alienware, but they still use thier original chips...and not Dells....so they are still reliable
    // 2010 Jaguar XFR
    // 2013 VW Beetle

Post Thanks / Like
    lol...im sorry PJ...i ment ghz....i was typing this up early in the morning...the coffee hadn't sunk in yet.
    Paul
    ---
    '55 2.7d SE

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel3V6
    If anyone is thinking of buying a PC, Laptop or accessories then some sites I would recommend are

http://www.bigpockets.co.uk- especially for Blank CD's/DVD's
    http://www.ebuyer.com for PC's and bits of PC's as they are very cheap!

stay away from the likes of PC World as they have your eyes out for almost everything!
    Would also highly recommend http://www.overclockers.co.uk/ - for parts and accessories. The range of pre-built machines is a bit cack, but for everything else they are great, cheap and fast.

As Daniel said, avoid the likes of PC World

Maybe this should go into a new thread, online stores?

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast