Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Looking to buy a laptop/PC?? Read this first!

Post Thanks / Like
    Another good website for people on the State side

www.newegg.com
    // 2010 Jaguar XFR
    // 2013 VW Beetle

Post Thanks / Like
    Johnthejock,

I explained my plan poorly - I planned to buys 2 500's to give me a terrabyte in total. I wasn't intending to buy a TB and partition it into 500 X 2.
    If you're going to buy this much disk, why don't you consider some form of hardware RAID (Redundant Array of Inexpensive Disks for those who are not so IT literate). I believe they're a lot cheaper than they used to be.

The pluses---you get more usable disk space, e.g. 5 * 200GB disks makes one 800GB RAID5 array, and it will survive the death of one disk; also you wouldn't have to backup everything from one disk to the other.

The downside, reading and writing to a RAID5 is slower, but I can't believe you would notice with the uses you will be putting it to.

What you are suggesting is in effect a RAID1 mirror, except you are doing the mirroring manually. This is obviously safer and faster, but more expensive per GB as you lose 50% of your disk space, since one disk is literally a copy of the other.

It all depends on how much you're willing to spend to protect your data. But I would copy them off to CD/DVD as often as possible, even if it means wasting space on the CD.

HTH

Jon
    04 S-type 2.7D SE
    Jaguar Racing Green

Post Thanks / Like
    G'day Carz,
    so you run a?

HP Pavillion DZ8000 Laptop
    screen = 17inch widescreen
    Video card = 256mb ATI Radeon X800 Mobile
    RAM = 1 gig
    Memory = 100 gig
    CPU = 3.4ghz Pentium 4HT
    age = 2 years old

I mainly use this as my development station...as well gaming. I can have Flash, Dreamweaver, IE, Firefox, AIM all running at the same time...and it wont hiccup a bit.

Well that pleases me as I've just bought an hp pavillion in the post Xmas sales...I'd been looking and umming and aahing for ages...I guess as its a little newer its specs are a little higher, but its the reliability that counts in the long run.

My old computer was built for me back in Gawler (South Aus) and is a 433mhz Celeron in was it 99 or 00??? Anyway the overly large case was packed in a turn in a suitcase...with much to my son's horror, various things in turn packed into its voids ...and followed me around the world to the auld country...where it continued (with a new SH monitor) to give me good service....My son (the computer one.....mustn't upset tkwup by calling him scientist) collared it a few weeks back...to integrate as a server or something (dunno what really) into a burgeoning network we have around our house he gave me an old pc of his to use in the meantime...
    ... now I have the aforementioned laptop....
    ...I'm hoping to use it in conjunction with a 3ccd camera (not yet bought) to work on an animation project.

Mike
    "A Vodka Martini."
    'Shaken or stirred?'
    "Do I look like I give a damn?"

X-Type SE 3.0L Auto silver, SE 2500 Auto, Adriatic Blue, deceased

Post Thanks / Like
    The new laptop I got was only £719 from a Dell supplier on ebay and the spec is as follows... oh and still comes with Dell 1 year warranty

Dell Vostro 1700 Laptop
    screen = 17inch widescreen
    Video card = 256mb Nvidia 8600GT
    RAM = 4 gig
    Hard drive = 160 gig
    CPU = Dual Core 2.2Ghz
    age = 1 Month
    additional - built in webcam, wireless, DVD RW dual layer

very good spec for the cash, plays all the new games no problem.
    comes with windows Vista Buisness edition (which I hate but im trying to get used to it - although I havent seen so many Blue screens of death in a long time!)

I might go back to XP but at the minute im taking advantage of my very own CD key
    I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.
    2002 X-Type 3.0 Sport Modified SOLD
    Mercedes E55 AMG - Aka the beast - Sold
    Vauxhall Astra 1.7 CDTI..... well it get's good MPG!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel3V6
    ... I havent seen so many Blue screens of death in a long time!)
    That's one area where M$ beats Linux - Linux doesn't even have a BSoD.

Post Thanks / Like
    You also need to know if whatever it is you are buying will take third party components. A lot of destops won't. If you can't fit a new third party motherboard, video card or memory it ain't a lot of use. Some companies have motherboards especially made and they are a particular shape and no other board will fit.

Mac42

Re: Looking to buy a laptop/PC?? Read this first!

Can anyone update this topic with anymore information. I am looking for a laptop to run AutoCad 2008LT
    Office 2007. Adobe CS3. Any suggestions. I appreciate this topic was posted in 2007 and well worth reading
    but things change. I am looking at the HP and Sony variations.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RobinHood
    Can anyone update this topic with anymore information. I am looking for a laptop to run AutoCad 2008LT
    Office 2007. Adobe CS3. Any suggestions. I appreciate this topic was posted in 2007 and well worth reading
    but things change. I am looking at the HP and Sony variations.
    I agree, I am looking at buying a laptop now (2009) and most of the information here appears to be 2 years old, and I am sure the 'benchmark' has risen since then?

Thanks
    Now: 2003 S-Type SE 3.0 automatic
    Sold: 1998 XJ8 X308 3.2 automatic
    Sold: 1993 XJ6 XJ40 3.2 automatic
    Sold: 2003 X-Type SE 3.0 manual

Post Thanks / Like

To be honest chaps go for a dual or quad core Dell. Most of them have 2Gb+ ram and will run anything for not a lot of money. I used to build my own (desktops) but stopped that lately as you can now buy cheaper.

I had a Dell mini been given to me by work to test for two years and it is a superb piece of kit considering it's size.

Post Thanks / Like

What about being Windoze free. Apple computers are smooth, neat and at the forefront of technology. iMac's and iBooks with intel dual core processors and they can run Windows as well. Ordinary PC's can't. Then there is the new iPad. A definite 'I want' and of course the iPhone with it's thousands of apps. I'm never without mine. Alternatively load a Linux distro. Free to download and burn to CD. Partition your hard disk and run both or more. My old iMac G5 has Mac OS X Leopard, Ubuntu Linux & Debian Linux. When booting the computer I just select which one I fancy using. Software is all open source such as Open Office and is all free. By the way, did you know Open Office is also available for Mac OS and Windows for free.
    Colwl

2005/6 S Type Sport 2.7 ltr twin turbo diesel
    Member of Jaguar Drivers Club Bedfordshire area 17
    Web Administrator for jaguar17.co.uk
    MacBook Pro 15" iPhone 4s (awaiting a 6s Plus)
    Wife 2 kids 4 grandkids 4

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast