Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: S-type supercharger removal (with pics)

Post Thanks / Like
    His technique is to remove the four bolts that hold the throttle body elbow onto the supercharger. Once they are separate, there is just enough movement to allow the elbow to be moved enough to allow a long open ended spanner to reach the rear supercharger fixing bolt. Once off, the rear bolt hole in the s/c is slotted to make it a lot easier to re-fit as the bolt can then be located before the supercharger is in position.

I'll try this technique when I carry out the procedure then the weather warms up a bit.
    Currently enjoying:
    2006 S Type R. Slate Grey with Dove Grey Interior. Full Burr Walnut upgrade, Rear DVD screens. 63,000 miles.
    1999 XKR Convertible. Meteorite Silver with Ivory leather. 76k. LOUD pipes. Great!
    Previously enjoyed: 1970 XL6 4.2 1974; 1982 XJS HE V12 5.3 1987 - 1990; 2000 S Type 3.0 manual 2001-2015; 1998 XK8 Convertible Mar/Apr 2016. 2009 Red XK convertible Nov 2016 to March 2017: 2010 All black XKR May to Oct 2017.

Post Thanks / Like
    I left the EGR valve on the throttle body, just remove the 2 bolts from the exhaust but they're a pig and make sure the socket is absolutely square on. Lots of PlusGas and swivel-joint adapters. If I knew what I knew before I did the job, I'd run the engine to get those bolts hot first.
    Previous : 1992 3.2 XJ40, 1997 4.0 V8 XJR - Current 2003 4.2 Black STR

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by paulkebab View Post
    I left the EGR valve on the throttle body, just remove the 2 bolts from the exhaust but they're a pig and make sure the socket is absolutely square on. Lots of PlusGas and swivel-joint adapters. If I knew what I knew before I did the job, I'd run the engine to get those bolts hot first.
    Did you then remove the EGR and the elbow to allow you access to the rear s/c bolt?

Post Thanks / Like
    That's correct Stagnite, and the throttle body. I also found a small split in the EGR pipe so renewed that too, the new design is far better than the old one. I just took everything off if only to replace all the gaskets and inspect everything etc, 11 years can take its toll on rubber seals.
    There's so much in the way and I wouldn't say my hands are big but space is non-existant. Not something I'd like to do again!

EDIT : The rear bolt sits in a depression so it's not as simple as an open ended spanner, it needs to be bent at a certain angle too. I believe on the later models Jaguar did away with that rear bolt.
    Previous : 1992 3.2 XJ40, 1997 4.0 V8 XJR - Current 2003 4.2 Black STR

5. Thanks Stagnite thanked for this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12