Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 31

Thread: S Type or XJ ?

  1. #11
    Senior Member scm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Hampshire
    Posts
    8,773
    Post Thanks / Like
    Probably because this thread is nearly two years old - if he still needs your advice he will never make his mind up.
    2010 Kyanite Blue/Caramel 5.0 XKR

  2. Likes Bluechem liked this post
  3. #12
    Senior Member hughjaynus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    198
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckMR2 View Post
    Class leading XJ all the way..whether tootling about town or wafting along the motorway
    XJ is the flagship model of the two
    Best you know where all the filling stations are then, unless you have lots of money to burn.
    JAGUAR S TYPE 2.7D SE AUTOMATIC 2006 79,000 miles

  4. #13
    Senior Member hughjaynus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    198
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve S Type Sport View Post
    We go camping with loads of gear in the S. An 8 man outwell tent, tables, chairs etc etc etc etc lol. there is 4 of us but I must add I have a roof box. I went with petrol too. Its all down to personal choice some people don't like the retro look of the S Type. From my point of view its just sublime.
    Couldn't agree with you more, just bought an "S", last car was an "X", new Jags just don't look like Jags anymore in my opinion.
    JAGUAR S TYPE 2.7D SE AUTOMATIC 2006 79,000 miles

  5. #14
    Senior Member hughjaynus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    198
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by elhug View Post
    Why is there a question mark? XJ
    because, wait for it................................................ ...........................................IT SIGNIFIES A QUESTION! "DU"
    JAGUAR S TYPE 2.7D SE AUTOMATIC 2006 79,000 miles

  6. #15
    Member Bogbrush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    35
    Post Thanks / Like
    I had an S-Type V8 as a company car, and later bought my own XJ Sovereign (diesel), both from new. My humble opinion is that the XJ is a far better car. The V8 S Type is no slouch but you must avoid the early models with the 5-speed Ford gearbox as this is the car's Achilles heel when trying to drive hard on A and B roads.

  7. #16
    Senior Member Cybercontroller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Middlesex
    Posts
    111
    Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting to read the comments here as I am looking at similar options. Test drove an XJ8 today and liked it. it was the 3.5 litre engine and felt very smooth. few things I was a bit concerned in my checks. Only one proper key and a basic cut type. Bodywork was not too bad but the boot looked a different shade. Also part of the underside cover was damaged. But I suppose you need to remember a thirteen year old car is not new. Not sure how much a new proper key would be but I imagine an intact underside panel second hand would not be to expensive. Still need to test drive an S type but at least I now have a benchmark. Of course, any further advice would be appreciated.

  8. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    805
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hughjaynus View Post
    Best you know where all the filling stations are then, unless you have lots of money to burn.
    Either a 3.0 XJ, or S type is significantly more economical than a 2.7 diesel S type.

  9. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    805
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybercontroller View Post
    Interesting to read the comments here as I am looking at similar options. Test drove an XJ8 today and liked it. it was the 3.5 litre engine and felt very smooth. few things I was a bit concerned in my checks. Only one proper key and a basic cut type. Bodywork was not too bad but the boot looked a different shade. Also part of the underside cover was damaged. But I suppose you need to remember a thirteen year old car is not new. Not sure how much a new proper key would be but I imagine an intact underside panel second hand would not be to expensive. Still need to test drive an S type but at least I now have a benchmark. Of course, any further advice would be appreciated.
    They are both really good cars, whether 3.0 or 4.2. Personally, I wouldn't bother with the 3.5 XJ, it's a bit of an orphan; there's nothing really wrong with it, but it's no quicker than the V6, but as expensive to run as the 4.2. That is relative; they are all as reliable as you like, and reasonably economical. The XJ rides better, and is bigger, doesn't have the same potential corrosion issues as the S type, but do check that there are no impending air suspension problems; anything other than a perfect ride, body control, and sitting level, indicates trouble ahead. Not the end of the world, but can be expensive, especially if you can't DIY. £4,000 should buy you a very good example of either, unless you want an "R".

  10. #19
    Senior Member Cybercontroller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Middlesex
    Posts
    111
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for that. There does seem to be a good choice out there. And I am in the good situation of being able to wait if necessary. Possibly going to look at another tomorrow which is £300 less but 25,000 miles more. But I understand a higher mileage is not a problem if proper maintenance has been performed.

  11. #20
    Senior Member agent47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    ipswich
    Posts
    361
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybercontroller View Post
    Thanks for that. There does seem to be a good choice out there. And I am in the good situation of being able to wait if necessary. Possibly going to look at another tomorrow which is £300 less but 25,000 miles more. But I understand a higher mileage is not a problem if proper maintenance has been performed.
    Just be watchful if you get a 4.2 after 2006 as the emissions stupidly put it in the high car tax bracket,
    Keep us posted
    current jags; xtype diesel, 02 daimler super v8

    previous jags, x351,daimler super v8, 2 x xjr (all x30

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •