Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: S Type or XJ ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by agent47 View Post
    Just be watchful if you get a 4.2 after 2006 as the emissions stupidly put it in the high car tax bracket,
    Keep us posted
    Thanks for the heads up but my budget would not get to one of those. Seen a couple of top spec cars advertised somewhat out of my range.

However saw another yesterday that is I am going to pass on. Looked to have been sitting for months, last verified service over 30,000 miles ago. All four discs rather rusty (which probably caused the ABS error message), aluminium corrosion in several areas and I suspect an interesting read if I had got as far as an HPI check.

Post Thanks / Like
    I know of a very nice 4.2 SE for sale up here in Cheshire. PM me if you want details. I think it will shortly be advertised in the JEC magazine. I have seen the car and been driven in it, it is very nice.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybercontroller View Post
    Thanks for the heads up but my budget would not get to one of those. Seen a couple of top spec cars advertised somewhat out of my range.

However saw another yesterday that is I am going to pass on. Looked to have been sitting for months, last verified service over 30,000 miles ago. All four discs rather rusty (which probably caused the ABS error message), aluminium corrosion in several areas and I suspect an interesting read if I had got as far as an HPI check.
    That one sounds like a bargain, for £150.

Why don't you show your location, state how far you will travel to view / buy, and give an idea of budget so that members aware of anything suitable within striking distance, can let you know?

Post Thanks / Like
    What car are you talking about Phil for £150 ?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by reddiesel View Post
    What car are you talking about Phil for £150 ?
    I was being facetious about:

"However saw another yesterday that is I am going to pass on. Looked to have been sitting for months, last verified service over 30,000 miles ago. All four discs rather rusty (which probably caused the ABS error message), aluminium corrosion in several areas and I suspect an interesting read if I had got as far as an HPI check."

You must still be half asleep.

Post Thanks / Like
    You should have seem the car!

Seriously, I would have regarded it as a project. Although it did start first time after being connected to a booster for a while, I took the opportunity to gain a bit more experience looking it over. The salesman kept telling me to make an offer and after major badgering, I made what I thought was a very generous offer under the circumstances and was asked to leave.
    Still, it allowed me to see areas to check in the future.

As far as distance, I am in West Middlesex. I will travel for the right car potentially 150 miles but budget is really £4000 tops which I know limits me somewhat. Pity because I saw a nice looking 3 litre in the latest JE magazine just out my range. Ticks a lot of boxes for me except for not having the Sat Nav. Still I am not in a hurry so can wait for the right one.

The one I saw near Brighton may have potential. Not perfect but the shortcomings I found are not insurmountable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by agent47 View Post
    Just be watchful if you get a 4.2 after 2006 as the emissions stupidly put it in the high car tax bracket,
    Keep us posted
    Noticed that it does not just seem to be the 4.2 litre after 2006 that is in the higher tax bracket but all post March 2006 cars.Which is rather annoying as I have found a decent looking 3.0 litre S type that is just new enough to be hit by the higher rate. it makes me wonder whether the threshold will change in the next few years of will all cars since then still be liable for the higher rate? Of course, could be a negotiating point but any saving made will quickly be eaten up after a few years' tax.

Post Thanks / Like
    Whatever a car tax band fell into when registered remains with it for the life of the car, unless it reaches the age of classic tax band, whatever that currently is.

Don't be put off a car for lack of a Sat Nav, it's mediocre at best and the last update disc was 2012, a top spec Garmin, etc would be much better.

Also I'd not let the current difference of £205 extra on VED persuade you to pass up on a newer car because of it.

Rich
    Silentum Sicarius

Born 24 November 2005
    Jaguar Super V8 LWB in Midnight Black with Ivory
    All options except Sunroof. Lambswool Overmats are MIA
    Longlife Exhaust - Rear Silencers Removed
    Nextbase 412GW Dashcam for the idiots in front of me
    Nextbase 312GW Dashcam for the idiots behind

My Showroom Thread

2000 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 ES Td5
    A 7 seat, go anywhere family bus
    Back up and running, ready for the summer

Post Thanks / Like
    Would certainly live with the higher tax for the right car. Currently got four I want to look at some within my price range and a couple a bit high. One being the 06 S type. The big advantage is the large choice out there so should not have to compromise. In all likelihood, some work will be required on whatever I end up getting on my budget. For example, a very nice looking XJ appears to need tyres, discs and pads from its MOT advisories. If those can be negotiated in the price then happy days.

Post Thanks / Like
    Still looking, fortunately able to wait for the right one. Saw one advertised in the JEC magazine that is also on Autotrader that is in Sheffield. Looks good but got a few reservations such as no mention of any service history. Not looking to travel that sort of distance for one without history.
    Even so, there are more appearing for sale.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast