Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: S Type or XJ ?

Post Thanks / Like

S Type or XJ ?

Hi, I have driven Mercedes E Class Estates for years, now I fancy a change and would like a Jag, but which one? I only do about 6k a year, mainly town driving so performance is not a huge issue, I like a 'soft' ride and have noted both models have different spec wheels, is the bigger the wheel the softer the ride generally? I have a budget of up to £4000, seems like I can get either car dating around 2000 to 2004, maybe an XJ a bit older, I am leaning towards an XJ because I prefer the shape but will the newer S Type be more reliable and less to maintain? Thank you in advance Mick

Post Thanks / Like
    answer to half your question.

smaller wheels are softer ride.

eg small wheels fat tyres
    large wheels thinner tyres
    SE05 JAG stype, 2. 7 DIESEL,zircon/barley,sat nav2012,xenons,winter pack,rear park assist,
    Retrofitted > cdc,bluetooth phone module, pairs 5phones, jaguar voice, Led cabin lites.chrome grille &light surrounds, power points +leds in boot, ,DRLs, boot spoiler, Dash cam front/rear, Folding mirrors on double lock, Intergrated Reversing camera, Webasto heater manually selectable, Half wood st/wheel,burr walnut interior, dash clock, 84,000 mlies umbrella.

Post Thanks / Like
    MJB I belief the XJ has air suspension which also makes a difference. The 3ltr V6 would be a good engine for both cars based on your driving. Room in the rear of the S Type is limited and boot a little shallow, worth also considering depending on your needs.
    Jaguar S Type 4.2 V8 2005 40,000 miles
    Previous Car
    Jaguar S Type 2.5 V6 2003 53,000 miles

Post Thanks / Like
    I wish I`d got an XJ instead of the S type

Senior Member Steve S Type Sport's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't.....

I think the XJ will be a bit to big for just tootling about town.
    2.5 V6 S-Type Sport
    JOUEC Jaguar Owners Unite Enthusiasts Club.
    Google is our friend!

Post Thanks / Like
    Class leading XJ all the way..whether tootling about town or wafting along the motorway
    XJ is the flagship model of the two
    BuckMR2

07 XJ LWB Sovereign TDVi, 141k,
    X358 Grille, Modified Torque Convertor,
    DECARB'ED, Mina Stainless Bpr Grill,
    Redstuff Ceramics, 20" Callistos,
    Rear Entertainment , 2012 Nav
    DPF removed, EGRs deleted,
    Methanol injection..being finished as you read this.
    kitchen sink...
    12 Reg Qashqai+2 Teckna 2.0 TD Auto best bar none (for sale in General Items for sale)

Post Thanks / Like
    I personally went for the XJ but I am sure that I would have been just as happy with the S-Type assuming it ticked all the right boxes.

A lot of the time it comes down purely to personal preference and there is no right or wrong answer. As a lot of people have said here, test drive both and see which is more suited to your taste and circumstances.

My main observation would be the move from estate to saloon and which choice would give you the least space compromise - assuming space is still a requirement? If it helps, we used to go camping in my XJ and got all of the camping equipment including a 5 man tent, albeit there were only 2 of us and a lot of the stuff went in the back seats effectively making the car a 2-seater. But we managed for 3 years until I pointed out to my other half that she kept buying new camping gear and my car wasn't getting any bigger ... funny that.

As for wheels, my car has 19 inch customs and personally I wouldn't like to go larger as the ride is just on the right side of harsh if I had to be honest.

... and I'm not going to go anywhere near the "should you go petrol or diesel" route! It will cause far too much aggro for my liking. I went petrol but, hey ho - personal choice. If you are looking at pre 2005 then it might not be an option so we may all live that little longer by not having that debate again!

Regards,

Brian.

Senior Member Steve S Type Sport's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    We go camping with loads of gear in the S. An 8 man outwell tent, tables, chairs etc etc etc etc lol. there is 4 of us but I must add I have a roof box. I went with petrol too. Its all down to personal choice some people don't like the retro look of the S Type. From my point of view its just sublime.
    2.5 V6 S-Type Sport
    JOUEC Jaguar Owners Unite Enthusiasts Club.
    Google is our friend!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you very much for your replies.
    I am in no rush to buy so will take a ride in both models and go from there

best regards, Mick

Post Thanks / Like
    Why is there a question mark? XJ

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast