Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: How to: Change Auxiliary Pulley, Tensioner, Belt and Shield

Post Thanks / Like

Post How to: Change Auxiliary Pulley, Tensioner, Belt and Shield

How to fit Upgraded Lower Pulley, Tensioner, Belt and Shield

If your X-Type Diesel is rattling and clattering at tickover and then gets worse when you put the aircon on it is most likely to be the lower pulley or tensioner.

Having read everyone else’s posts on this I have tried to make the job as easy as possible as some steps were unclear and to make it easy for FMs to have a go at by taking lots of photos and adding descriptions. You don’t have to do it this way but this took just 2.5 hours to do inc. tea breaks. I used the tensioner tool for this job everything else most people will have.

I used:
    7mm socket
    10mm socket
    13mm socket
    15mm socket
    Extension bars
    Breaker bar
    Torque wrench
    Trolley jack and Axle Stands
    Torch (it gets a bit dark trying to route the belt)
    8mm Allen Key to remove tensioner from alternator mounting bracket

Tensioner Tool
    Auxillary Fan Belt Tensioner Tool Duratorq Ford Mondeo Laser 5208 | eBay

Genuine Jaguar full upgrade kit
    Which includes:
    Upgraded pulley
    3 pulley fixing bolts
    Tensioner
    Drive Belt
    Deeper pulley shield
    Don’t use cheap and nasty get a genuine kit
    GENUINE JAGUAR X TYPE MODIFIED AUXILLARY TENSIONER & PULLEY KIT | eBay

I have taken close up pictures of the part numbers so you can source from a different supplier if you wish.

Start by jacking car and use axle stands, remove offside wheel and undo fixings holding pulley shield, disconnect battery cable as you will be moving alternator later.

Torque settings are:

Lower Pulley 100Nm then a further 90 degrees

Alternator Nuts and bolts 47Nm

All Tensioner Bolts 47Nm

Thanks to all whose info I used to do this job

Hope this helps
    Cheers
    Steve
    Last edited by S C B Jaguar; 25-05-15 at 21:41. Reason: Stickied!

2. Thanks Jonno, saroo786, Jay D, Drewski, Daz69 and 2 others thanked for this post
    Likes oyster, gwj, rowtrak098, twiddler, rolo and 12 others liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice How To Steve, thanks for that
    57 X-Type Estate 2.0D SE. Better Brakes, Moar Powah, Mesh Grillage, Quad Zorstage, Full blank and no MIL. Oh and HIDS that pass an MOT

Maprica GWJ Jag

4. Likes S C B Jaguar liked this post
    OriginalCaruso
    Cracking stuff Steve!

Nicely illustrated and well put together mate

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations on a 1st Class " How To " sir.

You deserve at least 2 gold stars and a smiley badge !!
    Jaguar X Type Estate SE - 2.0d - 2006 / 56 - Shadow Grey metallic
    Warm Charcoal leather - Sat Nav - Jaguar Voice - Touchscreen - Bluetooth - Climate Control
    CD player - Heated seats - Cruise Control - Rear Parking Assist - Winter Pack - Comfort Pack
    Manifold cleaned and full EGR blank - Interior lighting ~ Ice White LEDs - Exterior lighting ~ LEDs and 55w/6000k HIDs - 106k - Clutch, DMF, Upgrade pulley kit - Mesh Grills and a load space full of dog hairs !!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you fantastic guide, i did mine yesterday, not as quickly as you.It took me a little while to orientate myself with the alternator etc,and i made a couple of mistakes, like forgetting the lower bolt in the tensioner mounting bracket, i didnt realise until i had finished and was just doing a mental check before testing, hence had to take it all apart again because that bolt is behind the alternator, then i couldnt get the top alternator bolt back again the whole thing was back together and belt under tension i think this was just pulling the alternator out of line. Still persistence pays off and it is now done, sounds soooooo much better.
    06 xtype sport 2.0d Chilli Red 194,000 miles Blanked EGR, Upgraded aux pulley & tensioner, poly bushes on rear ARB, new droplinks poly bushes on rear shocks, leaper's on front brake callipers. Sadley gone

58 X-Type SE Autofold on double lock, Blanked EGR

Post Thanks / Like
    ****** good work Sir

Far better than any Haynes manual!!!!
    How about doing something similar for everything on the X Type??? haha

One question though -- what is the main significance of the modified pulley?

Andy
    X Type XS 2.0 Diesel Blue, Colour Coded Bumpers, 18" Aruba Wheels ​MAPRIKA: AndyThomas

Post Thanks / Like
    Andy the upgraded pulley is stronger than the standard one. The standard rubber separates and the inner and outer become detached eventually failing dramatically!
    There is much more rubber around the upgraded unit so it doesn't wobble and vibrate its about twice the weight of the standard pulley.
    some of the pattern parts around are pretty crappy as Rowtrak found out, he got a wobbly one from transitparts on ebay.

The genuine kit is not much more than the cheapo ones, dont do the job 2 or 3 times just once is enough!

Difference between old and upgraded pulley below

The extra pulley way is for another belt not used on the X
    Last edited by S C B Jaguar; 25-05-15 at 21:42.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great guide Steve. I suppose I'll have to save the pennies and do mine now. The noise is the one thing I hate about my Jag(and the missing washer jet and towing eye covers)
    05 2.0D SE black everything. Bluetooth, Jag dust caps, 6cd, heated leather, EGR blanked, leaper on ashtray, rear tread plates, wooden gear knob, bluetooth OBD and torque app. 55W 6K HIDs.Blue interior LED. Maprika name martyn kenney.

"I can see clearly now the HIDs are on I can see all obstacles in my way"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quick question Steve................. IF i have no rattles or strange noises from this end but I have noticed that the belt looks a bit "tired" couldn't I just change the belt and leave the original pulley and tensioner in situ?

Just a thought

Andy
    X Type XS 2.0 Diesel Blue, Colour Coded Bumpers, 18" Aruba Wheels ​MAPRIKA: AndyThomas

Post Thanks / Like
    Andy you could, but to do it you need to remove the tensioner to get the belt through, if you are planning to keep your X, I personally would leave the belt a while and get a new tensioner as well, I think if you are going to the trouble of getting the tensioner off to change the belt it would be daft not to put a new tensioner back on. The lower pulley is probably the easiest bit of the job which you could do at a later time, a knackered pulley can wreck the new tensioner though so if you go this route you would need to keep a close eye(ear!) on the pulley.
    gone but not forgotten 2.5 X-Type Sport XK8 4.2S X100 XKR 4.2S XK X150 ST220 Estate Slimer BRG 2.0d S Estate
    Current - Midnight Black 2.2 Sport XS Saloon - Ebony Black 2.2 Sport XS Estate on the look out for a new toy now!
    Jaguar Drivers' Club Admin Team

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast