Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Mongoose V134 install

Post Thanks / Like

Mongoose V134 install

Hi In the mongoose thread there's all sorts of good info about installing the software, but it is a bit scattered by now. I got a lot of PM's about how to install V134 so I thought it might be handy to have it all in one batch. Maybe a little long, but I think it covers most questions.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER THAT NO ONE READS: Don't blame me if anything goes wrong, I didn't do it, I wasn't even there when it happend, you're messing with your machine on your own risk, it can go horribly wrong if you press the wrong buttons or your cat jumps on the keyboard. Also there is a great risk of loosing your patience when installing JLR SDD: it can easily take hours because it's put together in the most stupid way I've ever seen. Hope the engineers that put this together had nothing to do with our Jags. Example? It asks for a language when it starts, you happily choose english, and you'll never know that regardless it installs 2GB worth of portugese russian japanese and who knows what languages, all in minuscule files that take ages to copy at your expense and time. Had to get that off my chest, apologies.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    First there are descisions to be made about how you want to run JLR SDD: If you have a fancy modern laptop, you can use XP, Windows7 (it needs to be the 32bit version) or Tiny7 or either of those running in VirtualBox. If you want to use it on a recent laptop that needs to do "regular" work also, then run it in a Virtual Machine. Your machine will suffer if you install it as you normally would install a program: The 10 gig program size is not the problem, but it adds (no kidding!) 396.394 files in 7.369 directories (That's V134). That can really slow down certain functions like defrag, a virus scan and windows search. With VirtualBox you avoid that. If VirtualBox is a bridge to far, consider a dual boot. That way you install a second operating system next to the one you have, and at boot choose the one you want. Especially good for older machines: you get the max out of your ram and processor speed that way. With windows XP as second OS it's sometimes a problem, but with Tiny7 it's not that difficult. If you still have an outdated laptop, make it a dedicated machine. An older laptop will do nicely, 1024 x 768 resolution (XGA) will give you a slider free screen. USB2 ports are nice too, they really speed up things. Everything with at least a 1mhz processor and 512 mb memory and a 20 GB disk will work. You might have noticed (really?) in other posts I like Tin7 a lot and this is why: Install takes only 15 minutes, much faster than a XP install. It's very low on recources, and when you install Tiny7, you only need to tell it where to install, and everything is automated after that. Updates work out of the box, it will find most drivers, so no worries there. Nothing you need to change in settings. Also it's easy to dual boot. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want to go with Tiny7 this is how you do it (same procedure if you want to make an XP bootdisk or stick with a downloaded ISO file):

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Method 1 (If your laptop has a CD player):
    1 Get Tiny7.iso (If you don't know how, google "bittorrent" and "Windows 7 Tiny Unattended")
    2 Get ImgBurn (Free software that works very well) and install (http://download.imgburn.com/SetupImgBurn_2.5.8.0.exe)
    3 Open ImgBurn, choose burn from iso and point it to tiny.iso
    You'll end up with a bootable install disk.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Method 2 (If your laptop has no cd player and/or can boot up from USB stick):
    1 Get Tiny7.iso (If you don't know how, google "bittorrent" and "Windows 7 Tiny Unattended")
    2 Get the little prog called Rufus (free) it can creat a bootable USB stick (http://rufus.akeo.ie/downloads/rufus-1.4.7.exe)
    3 Open Rufus, choose the USB stick you want to install on (make sure you got the right drive: doublecheck!)
    4 Change FreeDos to iso and point Rufus to the Tiny iso, leave everything else at default.
    Result is a bootable USB to install Tiny
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want to have Tiny only you can install now. (remember you will wipe the whole drive that way)
    All you need to do is tell the installer what partition to install on, and off it goes. 15 minutes later everything is done and you're ready to install the Jaguar software.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want a double boot system you need to take some steps beforehand:
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You need to "shrink" the partition that you're using on your laptop by 20Gb. Make sure you have enough space to do that.
    1 Start your laptop as usual, and make sure you have about 40Gb free space (your other OS needs some breathing space too).
    2 Download and install "Minitool Partition Wizard" (free) ("http://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html")
    3 start the minitool, and choose Partition Wizard
    4 You now have a graphic view of your disks and the partitions on it. Choose the one you want to shrink
    5 Rightclick on the "bar" and choose resize.
    You can drag the arrow on the right side of the bar to the left until you free 20Gb. Click OK
    6 You're back in the previous screen: the bar now shows a new partition called unallocated space. Rightclick that and choose create
    7 Choose an appropriate label like Jaguar and confirm. So far, Part Magic hasn't done anything but put your actions in a list: you can see that in the lower leftside of the screen.
    If you're confident you did everything right you can press the V (apply) button on the top left side. It will tell you the disk is in use and it'll need to reboot.
    After reboot it will resize your partition and format the new 20 gb partition.
    After the program is finished you can install Tiny the usual way: you will see at least two partitions. Point Tiny installer to install on the 20gb partition you just made, and it will create a boot menu automatically so you can choose the one you want everytime you start your laptop. Tiny7 will show up in the menu as Windows 7

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When that is al done and your OS is running, rightclick the desktop and choose screen resolution: slider to max and click apply. In Tiny7: Connect to your Wireless.
    Rightclick the computer icon, and choose properties, and then advanced system settings / performance: Choose best performance. Back in the system properties window choose the hardware tab. Click device installation settings, tick the first box: Yes do this automatically. Windows will now update /install needed drivers. When that's done, go back and tick the "never install.." box.
    Just for fun: start IE and download a nice jag logo (http://www.logodesignbuzz.com/logobl...first-logo.jpg)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thats the OS done, on to the SDD install.. choices are V130 or V134. For V130 and XP, BenedictWhite did a good writeup, you can find it here: http://www.jaguarforum.co.uk/f26/che...tml#post583131

NOTE: If you install V130 on windows7 or Tiny7 you need to manually install Mongoose drivers cause the setup file does not work in win7. Instructions below.
    Somewhere. V137 is downloadable too, but I couldn't get it to install without an error. It does continue to install after that, but I would not trust it writing data to my car.. so for me V137 is out for now.

If you want to try V134 here's how:

MOST IMPORTANT: DON'T TOUCH THE LICENCE FILE SUPPLIED ON DVD WITH v134; IT CONTAINS A VIRUS! It has a virus in it, a very nasty one: I tried it (on a standalone machine that wasn't used anyway).
    Avast antivirus went crazy: Within seconds I had dozens of infected files all over the place, even on "idle" extra harddisks in the system. You're warned!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you're going yo install V134 you need a workaround for the virus infected file. The virus is not in the file itself, it's in the package.
    I've extracted the clean file for you and can download it here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/lqyzt0ggafad59h/app.zip
    Unpack and save the app.war file for later use.

EDIT: I canged it to an installer file: Just run it and it installs app.zip for you : https://www.dropbox.com/s/qu8nfaqjzw...stall.exe?dl=0

If you're installing on Windows 7 (or Tiny) you also need the Mongoose Driver files, cause win7 does not know what to do with an ancient installer file (procedure explained later): https://www.dropbox.com/s/qu8nfaqjzw...stall.exe?dl=0
    If you don't need the wireless internet connection anymore goto device manager, look for network adapters and disable your wireless. If you have the files you need you can proceed to the next step:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Assuming you run SDD only on your laptop or in a Virtual Machine (if not, skip this section): If want to be sure the software does not stop working or start to ask for updates later, fix the date of your PC.
    You can do it manually everytime you start SDD, but that's easily forgotten. With a small .bat file it's easily automated:

Goto Startmenu - search and start notepad.exe: and write only two lines:

@ECHO OFF
    DATE 08-08-12

Save the file to the desktop and name it Date.bat. Note that you need to save it as "all files", otherwise you end up with a autoexec.bat.txt.
    If you do, just rename it. If you want another date: the format is MM-DD-YY.
    Next open Start Menu - All programs, rightclick on startup and choose explore.
    Drag the autoexec.bat file to the startup folder and close explorer.
    Check if the file is in startup now. If it is, open it.
    You should see a black window open and close very fast. Hover over your desktop clock to make sure it's saying august 8 2012 now.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You should have a these files on your CD or USB stick:

SDD_DVD134_FULL = JLR SDD MAIN PROGRAM
    SDD_DVD134.01 = UPDATE 1 SDD_DVD134.04 = UPDATE 2
    SPA_DVD134_V0 = PINPOINT TESTS
    VDF_J_DVD134_V5 = JAG SPECIFIC FILES (J in the file name, L is Landrover)
    AND: If you got them on CD with your cable also the dreaded licence file that makes all the virus alarms go off! NEVER run that! The downloaded version doesn't have the licence file.

Now you're ready to install:

1 SDD_DVD134_FULL Is the first one to install: don't reboot, go to the next one
    2 SDD_DVD134.01 and SDD_DVD134.04 Are the update files for 1, don't reboot, go to the next one
    Next: SPA_DVD134_V0 PINPOINT TESTS This one take very long to install, it runs in the background. Can take an hour easily. Don't give up, at some point the popup (Additional Pinpoint Tests) will tell that it's finished.
    As soon as the SPA installer runs in the background, no need to wait, you can install the last one:
    VDF_J_DVD134_V5 The VDF install is finished before the SPA (pinpoint tests). Don't think you're finished and reboot, the SPA install is still running.
    In the meantime you can install Mongoose drivers: If you have XP you can use the Mongoose.msi installer.
    With Windows7 or Tiny7 the mongoose.msi file, may give an error: (not an valid 7 installer):
    Unpack the Mongoose JLR folder from the zip and save the complete Mongoose JLR folder.
    Plug in the mongoose, it will be recognized but will find no drivers.
    Goto device manager - mongoose, select update driver - browse my computer, and point to the mongoose folder you unzipped from the downloaded file.
    It will now install your driver.
    LAST THING: For V134 no password. Instead you need to unpack the app.zip file to get a file called app.wad.
    Copy this to the C:\Program files\JLR\IDS\SDD\ folder and overwrite the existing file.
    When the pinpoint tests are finished installing (They give a popup eventually....really), you can reboot and run your JLR SDD.
    All that's left is to pimp and polish your installation: you know you want to.. I'll do a howto later.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good Luck and please be aware that you can screw up your car badly with it...

Regards, Opa

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    NEW MONGOOSE EDITED July 26
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    It could be that you get a MongoosePro ( Together with V138 software )

It doesn't work with the Mongoose driver I provided. You need to use the installer on the DVD to get it working.
    Or use this installer: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jnftpnkwsh....1.12.msi?dl=0

Regards, Opa
    Last edited by Opa; 08-09-14 at 14:35. Reason: Link changed

2. Thanks GreatOldOne thanked for this post
    Likes BuckMR2, sijones, Winco, N/A, graham-r and 3 others liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    How to make it look better?

Written for Tiny but XP is similar in many ways exept for the first steps.

In Tiny you have an icon for quick launch: drag that in the experience folder above it. Then rightclick the Experience folder, choose move to folder, and move it to C:

Delete the "navigation installer" icon. (you could uninstall the prog too if you want, it's unuseable)

Next, the desktop: delete all icons, exept JLR. You don't need them. Besides, all links are in the start menu too. You'll be left with some system icons that you cannot delete. R-click the desktop and choose personalize / change desktop icons and untick all the boxes.

While in the personalization screen you also might change the mouse pointer: the standard one is hard to see when working on your car. I chose the "magnified" scheme that is much better.
    Next change the desktop backgound. Change to white (if you downloaded the suggested logo in the install section) On top of the screen you find picture location. Browse to the folder the logo is in and click ok. The logo appears: On the bottom of the window change "fill" to "center". Save changes.

Result: (almost) clean desktop with a jaguar logo.

Goto start menu / all programs and find the startup folder. Rightclick it and choose explore. Drag the JLR icon in the startup folder. It will now start automatically when you fire up your laptop.

Start Internet Explorer, R-click the menu-bar and untick menu bar, status bar and command bar. Hit F11 and you should have a full screen window when running SDD.

Last thing, Rightclick the taskbar, choose properties and tick the auto-hide box.

Done. You now have a good-looking auto-starting JLR SDD machine.

Opa
    Last edited by Opa; 16-05-14 at 07:17.

4. Thanks billdrives thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

mongoose V134

Brilliant write up Peter even a computer illiterate like will be able to follow that.
    Many Thanks
    John Kerr

OriginalCaruso
    @mods - sticky please, and a medal for Opa...

7. Likes John Kerr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow! You've really put some time in on that haven't you. Fantastic work.

Simon
    '05 2.0d X-Type SE Estate Xircon blue. Euro 3 with fully blanked EGR
    '02 Honda XL650 Transalp
    '54 BMW K1200RS

Post Thanks / Like
    Just want to say a huge thank you to opa for all your help mate, got me spare sony vaio all set up now with tiny7 and v130 mongoose, I have v134 on its way , but can someone tell me the advantage/disadvantages/ differences between them, cheers all
    05 S-Type X204 2.7D Re-mapped with attitude and two powerflow twin cans on the rear, black diamond combi disks n predator pads..........

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice job.

When the VDF_J_DVD134_V5 file completes the window says to run another setup from within SDD, didn't see any mention above so.....

From the SDD menu (after VIN has been loaded - or not found) go to settings menu/system utilities and click the button for 'Combined as-built calibration file update' (or something like that). Some magic happens and SDD is happy.

Now dare I try it on my car....
    S Type 4.2 SE Plus 2002 std spec: Xenon HID/SatNav/Voice/CDC/TV/GSM Phone (for now)/Sun Roof/Rear Blind/CATS.
    Retro-fitted: Dash Cam/USB PSU in Armrest.
    Todo: Bluetooth phone/Reversing cam/Wireless Phone Charger in Dash, maybe Premium Sound/Garage opener/Front parking sensors.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've just got to figure out the best way to install on MacBook pro
    2003/2004 X type V6 2.1 Auto SE with touch screen sat nav.
    Also added sport front grill colour coded and Adamesh lower black grill

Post Thanks / Like
    You need a Virtual Machine host that runs on Mac, then load XP/SP3 (I know nowt about Tiny7).
    S Type 4.2 SE Plus 2002 std spec: Xenon HID/SatNav/Voice/CDC/TV/GSM Phone (for now)/Sun Roof/Rear Blind/CATS.
    Retro-fitted: Dash Cam/USB PSU in Armrest.
    Todo: Bluetooth phone/Reversing cam/Wireless Phone Charger in Dash, maybe Premium Sound/Garage opener/Front parking sensors.

Post Thanks / Like
    May have a look for an old windows laptop instead
    2003/2004 X type V6 2.1 Auto SE with touch screen sat nav.
    Also added sport front grill colour coded and Adamesh lower black grill

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast