Thread: Jaguar XJ220 - Investment

Post Thanks / Like

Jaguar XJ220 - Investment

Hi all,

I'd like to introduce myself, my name is Phil Avery.

Production of the Jaguar XJ220 began in 1992 and continued until 1994. Over this time period 275 cars were made.

The Jaguar XJ220 was the fastest production super car, 213mph (343km/h) until it was superseded by the McLaren F1 in 1993, 231mph (372km/h) but it continued to hold the Nurburgring lap record from 1992 until 2000 with a time of 7:46:36.

I have been keeping an eye on several cars which I feel are iconic to the industry.

One of these cars is the Ferrari F40, I kept a note on the cost of this vehicle over the last few years, when I first looked about 7 years ago the car was for sale around £230,000.
    Several months ago the value was £340,000 & is now in excess of £700,000.

Ferrari F40, production ran from 1987 - 1992 and over this period 1,315 cars were made and sold. The car is now classified as a Classic car which it has definitely earned as even today people will say their dream car would be one of these.

Now what I am hoping to do is give information about the potential investment opportunity that we all have with the Jaguar XJ220. If we look at the facts it is rarer than the example I gave with the Ferrari, it has held world records, it has not yet hit the Classic car status of 25 year mark in which it will see a rise in price.

I am not a business man, I don't work for the banks, I am an engineer with a passion for Automobiles, I believe that if other people with the same attitude/interests as me want to invest in such a beautiful car with the potential of increasing their investment over time then it is easier done as a group.

The current asking price for a Jaguar XJ220 is around £230,000.

By taking one of the market it will increase the prices of the others, imagine owning several, once this car hits Classic status we could name our price (so to speak).

This thread might not gain much interest, which is fine but I hope it has been informative to others.

Please feel free to comment any thoughts or if this is something that could be of interest please get in touch.

Thanks
    Phil Avery

Post Thanks / Like
    A few years ago you could buy one for £70K ! They are going up in value. To get real investment potential you need the whole marque to have the appeal. The 911 has been made in much larger volumes than the XJS/XK yet values for that are much greater than the equivalent Jaguar. Ferraris have an appeal beyond the car. Whilst the XJ220 was a great engineering masterpiece it never had the appeal of the F40 and I doubt it will ever "catch up"
    Nice thread idea and we all need to give the marque a more up beat image if the values are to rise
    1998 XKR Convertible, 2004 S-type V8 SE

Post Thanks / Like
    Agreed, the unfortunate part of that is the massive investment & it would create complication with the number of investors involved unless higher figures from fewer people could be arranged.

The 911's are fantastic cars, and yes they hold value very well but as stated the volume of the cars could have a knock on effect for long term investment and would never see a large enough return to consider financially.

I am 100% with you that the Ferrari F40 has the wow factor and that the XJ220 will never catch up with this but that is where I believe that the rarity of the XJ220 will help it to hold its value & increase steadily over time.

Thanks, it is something I would like to do myself but to beat it to the 25 year mark it will be easier with others. As for an up beat image you just never know what future cars might be released/returned to production.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Phil In actual fact there were 277 Production cars built

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Phil In actual fact there were 277 Production cars

Post Thanks / Like
    I think classic car prices have hit about as high as they're going to go. This is the result of quantitative easing (just like house prices) and as soon as we have a recession they will tumble. Nice idea, but you're too late for this one.

Post Thanks / Like
    I’ve got one in Silver and I got it for peanuts almost 20 years ago. It’s still got “factory mileage” and currently sits in my conservatory. Only problem is the drivers door mirror is broken off.

I wonder if Burrago do spares for them.
    Now relying on my trusty Rover 75 Connoisseur

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by badbob View Post
    I think classic car prices have hit about as high as they're going to go. This is the result of quantitative easing (just like house prices) and as soon as we have a recession they will tumble. Nice idea, but you're too late for this one.
    His post was from 2014! Nice post, but you're too late for this one.
    2000 Jaguar X308 4.0
    1973 Jensen Interceptor Mk III 7.2
    1969 Jensen Interceptor Mk I 6.3