Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: X-Type engine differences?

Post Thanks / Like

X-Type engine differences?

Hi all!

I shall at some point treat myself to a X-Type and up until last weekend I hadn't ever driven one.

I have always thought I would get a 2.5 or 3L, not just for the extra power but because I love the twin pipes sticking out the back!

I drove my brother in law's dad's 2.0 over the weekend, (only around the block!) and thought how lovely it cruised along. I didn't thrash it because its not my car but it has me wondering if the 2.0 is much different to the 2.5 and 3L?

Your thoughts anyone?

Thank you!

Clarkie
    I shall one day treat myself to a X-Type I had better not just yet as my missus will do her nut If I change my car AGAIN! (Her words!!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Some info here

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/review...e/saloon-2001/

This includes specs

http://www.helpfindmea.co.uk/cars/sp...fications-598/

Maybe a 2.2 with a remap

http://www.midlandremaps.co.uk/

You can add the twin tailpipes to a diesel
    2008 XF SV8 Pearl Grey

3. Thanks Clarkie1978 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    2.1L is only FWD and the diesels, the 2.5L and 3.0L is AWD.

I had a 3.0L auto estate for 3.5 years which was great when I lived in Germany, 231bhp 0-60 in the mid 6's and plenty of power for overtaking. I hit 150mph on the autobahn and regularly cruised at over 100mph, was a great family car.
    Jaguar XK Coupe 4.2 2007 indigo blue with many mods and retrofits.

New car, XE R-Sport 25t 250Ps 18MY coming September!

Previous:
    S-Type 3.0L SE Auto
    X-Type 3.0L SE Auto estate.

Resident Super Moderator.
    V6 X-Type Oil Sump Replacement Guide

5. Thanks Clarkie1978 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The X type was designed to have 4x4 go for it !! small petrol engines made it an upgrade from Mondeos . Diesel engines were recession Fleet manager specials . Go for the highest spec you can affordin 2.5 or 3.0 Petrol 4x4 . If you must buy a diesel , that's up you . I'm lucky I can afford to run a proper Jag . As my mate would say "Its the difference between the brown stuff & Pudding "
    Last edited by Ian D; 16-07-15 at 07:04. Reason: Profanity removed.
    I'm an Ex , X type owner X2 .. Petrol man & auto..

Now I'm a Yeti & Fabia owner Petrol man & auto..

7. Likes jagryan85 liked this post
    Dislikes Martin2, X-type_Bobstar, Iken, gwj disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    That comment makes it sound like my X-Type is a recession fleet manager special and that I don't run a proper Jag?! What a daft comment Tiptronic, come on. We both got Ford engines and the cars are great.

If the OP is after a petrol model, there are plenty of good models out there and the 3.0 especially is a very quick car. The 2.5 auto and 2.2d are same specs for 0-60 and the 2.1 V6 is smooth and surprises you how well it does go, although a little slow off mark. Plenty of help is available on here from people with petrol and diesel models. I have got stainless twin exhaust on my 2.2d which looks great and a few others have done similar mods. Which brings us on to modding, if you want to add more features, then a lot of us have done that and can help too. It's a good car to work on and retrofit bits and my 2.2d has been extremely reliable in 5 years ownership. It is a proper Jag in every way, just like my XKR - ignore some of the silly comments you hear, both my babies have got Ford bits on them.
    62 Jaguar XF 3.0d S Premium Luxury Saloon. Ultimate Black
    20" Hydra's • Heated/Cooled Charcoal Memory Seats • Reverse Cam • Autofolding Mirrors • Heated Screen • Meridian Sound System • 275bhp • XFR Quad Exhausts • XFR Diffuser • Illuminated Treadplates

9. Thanks Clarkie1978, Ian D thanked for this post
    Likes Martin2, Clarkie1978 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by X-type_Bobstar View Post
    both my babies have got Ford bits on them.
    And are none the worse for it ! ! !
    Last edited by Ian D; 16-07-15 at 07:06. Reason: Large quote removed, not required.
    Remember, one good turn gets most of the duvet !

'09 Sovereign 2.2 diesel Auto facelift saloon, Ultimate Black and Oyster.

11. Likes Clarkie1978 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

X-Type engine differences?

Not all of us bought a diesel because we cannot afford to run a petrol, I run two V8 Land Rovers which are by far more thirsty than a Jaguar especially one with such a small capacity V6. The diesel is just better suited as a daily driver it has bags of torque and a lazy power curve that means on the motorway it barely needs to go over 2000rpm. And no transfer box to crap itself which the AWD ones have.
    2006 Jaguar X-Type 2.2 Sport (6 speed manual)
    Interior lights changed to LED's. LED projector lights in trunk. 50w LED sidelights. 80w LED fog lights front and rear. Main & Dipped HID's. Kelsport decat pipe. Drilled/Grooved/Vented disc brakes & EBC Red Stuff pads. Stainless lower mesh grill. Jaguar branded interior mats. In car DVD/TV/MP3/Bluetooth/CD/DAB Radio. Dashcam. Jaguar lettering on engine cover in red vinyl with leaper logo. 1800w twin 12" subwoofers in trunk.

13. Likes X-type_Bobstar, Martin2 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Don't bother with the 2.1 - slow as heck and more thirsty than the 3.0.

I speak from experience as I've owned all three petrol engines.
    2.5 has the same torque as the 3.0 mid range but floor them both and the 3.0 leaves it way behind.

As others have said, buy the highest spec possible - lots about at silly money.

Or if you are feeling like a daredevil, skip the X altogether and buy a V8 S Type - you'll soon be smitten

Ryan
    "One shall not fix something if something need not to be fixed"
    2005 4.2 V8 S-Type Executive - Sat Nav with Reverse Camera, DVD, Winter Pack - Auto HID's & Wipers, Headlamp Washers & Heated Seats. F&R Parking Aid, Power Folding Mirrors, Mesh Grille, Memory Seats, 18" Mercury's, Towbar, Privacy Shades, Parrot MKi9200, Dash Cam, Loud Cans.
    Previous: 01 X-Type 2.1 SE, 01 X-Type 2.5 SE, 02 X-Type 3.0 Sport
    Summer Toy - 2007 Triumph Sprint ST 1050 in Caspian Blue

15. Thanks Clarkie1978 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Me and Ryan swapped keys to our V8s for a blast, his S-Type sounds like no S-Type I've ever heard before! Naughtier than my XKR!
    62 Jaguar XF 3.0d S Premium Luxury Saloon. Ultimate Black
    20" Hydra's • Heated/Cooled Charcoal Memory Seats • Reverse Cam • Autofolding Mirrors • Heated Screen • Meridian Sound System • 275bhp • XFR Quad Exhausts • XFR Diffuser • Illuminated Treadplates

17. Likes jagryan85 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know your circumstances of course but recently searched out a petrol v6 for my son's partner. A medical condition meant it had to be auto, her budget ruled out the 2.2 diesel auto, besides which she really doesn't cover the miles to warrant a diesel.
    First considered fuel consumption of the 3 versions and found there was very little difference between the 3
    Tax and insurance however was a different matter with the 3 litre being out of reach on both counts, in the end she went for the 2.5 but the tax was still a hefty £290 a year.
    It may be a consideration for some people

Dave

19. Thanks Clarkie1978 thanked for this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast