Thread: Daimler Super V8

Post Thanks / Like

Daimler Super V8

I've had a quite a few jags over the years and am now looking at getting myself a Daimler Super V8 (X30 as a weekend car (have always wanted one but its never happened). I currently have an X-type Diesel as my run around which is proving an incredible car but I do find it a little basic.

I've had the Non-supercharged version of the X308 Daimler and found it to be incredibly reliable, and I had the X350 4.2 supercharged Jaguar after it which was also incredible but I have no experience of the Supercharged version of the 4.0 litre X308 engine.

Can anyone tell me is this as reliable as the later 4.2 and are there many things to look our for other than the timing chain tensioners?
    Regards
    Chris Clark
    2007 XJ X358 Sovereign Diesel LWB

Previous... 1992 XJ40 Sovereign, 1994 XJ40 Sovereign, 2000 XJ Sovereign, 2000 Daimler V8, 2003 X350 Super V8, 2008 XJ X358 Sovereign Diesel

Post Thanks / Like
    Early cars pre 2001 had Niksil engines. But if you buy one nowadays that is still good then it will be fine as it was the sulphur content in fuel that caused the Niksil engines to wear and fail but with low sulphur fuel the Niksil engines will be good for many miles.
    Jaguar X350 XJR Freeflow SS Exhaust. / Jaguar X308 XJR

3. Likes C16RKC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you look under the XJ V8 subforum (rather than XJ 4.0), you'll find lots of threads relating to the foibles of the 4.0 V8 engines in the X308.

If took me a while to work out how the sub-forums on here work Its not very obvious.

I think the XJ 4.0 relates to the 4 litre engined XJs that preceded the X300... the XJ40 perhaps with the AJ6 inline 6 cylinder engine

Basically, the 4.0 V8 has design faults with the camchain tensioners and the cooling system (thermostat housing, thermostats, water pumps) most of which will have been fixed by previous owners by replacing plastic parts with metal ones.

The supercharger has one common fault but I can't remember what it is as I don't have a forced induction model Something to do with pulley oscillation ?

Anyway, as I say, loads of info in XJ V8

The Super V8s seem to command quite a premium over the n/a models with quite high mileage cars going for 3-4 times the price of the equivalent Sovereign. You do get stuff like deep pile carpets and picnic trays but they don't seem that much more sumptuous than a fully-loaded Sovereign to me.

You can get them in the X350/X358 variant too. The 4.2 engine seemed to have the 4.0 design flaws fixed at the factory.
    ex-owner of a 1999 X308 4.0 Sovereign LWB in blue

5. Likes C16RKC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks - I remember the Nikisil issue (although I only even had 2000+ X308 models so never worried about this) and I also remembered the cam chain tensioner issue.

It's starting to come back to me about the thermo-stat, water pump, heater valve troubles... but these never resulted in anything major in my previous experience.

Seems like the addition of a supercharger will probably not change things too much - worth a go in my opinion. I actually love all those Daimler extras (I've had both Jaguar Sovereign and Daimler 4.0 litre X308 models) and have always fancied a Super V8. I have to say I thought the 4.2 engine was fabulous but found the ride quality in the X350 and X358 models a little harsh. The harsh ride in my last X358 Sovereign pushed me to try a Mercedes S-class which did have a better ride quality and has been great if I put aside the extortionate running costs - but it just doesn't have that Jaguar interior that I have missed ever since... I also found one particular bullying moderator kind of ruined the atmosphere on the X350/X358 forum but no names mentioned....

I'm thinking around the 4-5K mark so will have to wait around for the right one, but that will give me a chance to get shot of my Merc!

Thanks for the advice guys!
    Regards
    Chris Clark

Previous... 1992 XJ40 Sovereign, 1994 XJ40 Sovereign, 2000 XJ Sovereign, 2000 Daimler V8, 2003 X350 Super V8, 2008 XJ X358 Sovereign Diesel

Post Thanks / Like
    Ian, who moderates the XJ V8 subforum, seems very fair handed. I've only been around 12 months or so so I don't really know much about what used to go on.
    ex-owner of a 1999 X308 4.0 Sovereign LWB in blue

8. Likes C16RKC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks - looking forward to getting myself behind the wheel of an XJ again... there is nothing quite like the Jaguar experience...
    Regards
    Chris Clark

Post Thanks / Like
    You mentioned finding the suspension a bit harsh on the x350. Did you have the XJR model ?
    I have the Super V8, it is mechanically the same engine as the XJR but has the softer Sovereign suspension. I have found it to be fine even running on 20" rims.
    Previous Jaguars : 1985 4.2 Sov, 1988 3.6 Sov, 1990 4.0 Sov, 1994 3.2 Sov, 1998 4.0 Sov lwb, 2000 4.0 Sov lwb.2003 XJ 350 3.5se
    Current cars : 2011 XJL 3.0 Luxury, 2004 Xj Super V8, 2007 Transit ( my work van ), 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland

MacMasters Beach Central Coast NSW Australia
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have found the X350 suspension to provide a good ride running on 18 inch rims. Australia did not receive a Daimler in the X350 but we did receive the Jaguar Super V8. I have not spied any privately imported Daimler X350's.

The X350 has a reliable reputation in Australia and has the advantage of a full size spare tyre, something later models do not provide. Jaguar Service Centres can only be found in larger metropolitan areas and so reliability is paramount. It is a very lonely feeling being stuck in the middle of nowhere between metropolitan centres in a broken down Jaguar. The only option is a costly ride on the back of a tow truck.

I also would not like to entertain the idea of travelling great distances on a space saver wheel. There is a presumption of puncture but if the side wall is damaged finding a suitable replacement tyre in more remote areas would be a challenge in itself. Travel up 400 to 600 miles on a space saver at 50 mph ! Then subsequently damage a space saver tyre and there is no way to obtain a replacement outside a major city. Then it still may be a matter of ordering one. Local conditions should be a consideration when marketing a vehicle in a foreign land.

Oh rust/corrosion is not a big issue with modern cars here. We do not have salt on our roads.