Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Replacing Tensioners - Lots of Pictures

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Replacing Tensioners - Lots of Pictures

Post removed due to copyright infringement.
    Last edited by BigE; 22-12-16 at 08:13.

2. Thanks jimforrest, payno, dogbreath, P700DEE, AngusH and 2 others thanked for this post
    Likes rowtrak098, jimforrest, james25, payno, N/A and 6 others liked this post
    Dislikes payno disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Terrific post and very good photos. If you own an V8 and you don't know if the tensioners have been replaced or not, then you'd better read this post!
    2000 Jaguar X308 4.0
    1973 Jensen Interceptor Mk III 7.2
    1969 Jensen Interceptor Mk I 6.3

4. Thanks BigE thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great pics Ed. I have a 2001 R and I don't know which tensioners are fitted ................. I guess I'm going to have to take the plunge too!
    2001 XKR 4.0L & 2000 XJ8 Sovereign 4.0L

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Jim, I took these pictures (and more) because it occurred to me that normally, people just drop off their car at a garage and don't get to see what really goes on and how things look in situ. Also, I enjoyed it a lot and got to ask all the questions I've wanted to ask - the what's that thing there sort you can't normally. And finally, these are parts of the engine I'll probably never see again (hopefully) so worth documenting - just in case.

Having now seen what condition the guide and tensioners were in, I know I should have got them changed sooner, but then again, I could maybe have driven another 30K miles without issue, you just don't know. The guides were in a really bad state.

it seems some things are just worth doing for piece of mind and this is probably the biggest bit of preventative maintainance we can do.

7. Likes jimforrest, james25 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ok Ok - I'll have a word with Kevin at DesignXKR!
    2001 XKR 4.0L & 2000 XJ8 Sovereign 4.0L

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    well done BigE a costly job. but worth it, agree with you totally on who you can trust garage wise, have a habit of marking thinks with felt pen to make sure they have BEEN replaced, you like me and love your jaguar good luck my friend may it serve you for many a happy year. old Scottish saying love don't come cheap. also when poverty comes in the door love goes out the window. lang ma yer lum reek

10. Likes danielfromaustin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    This thread should be a sticky, entitled "Before you even start thinking about upgrading your stereo, changing your wheels, fitting a sports exhaust or clay barring your paintwork, check your tensioners before your engine grenades itself".

Its easy to check, just remove the right hand cam cover and have a look. If the tensioners are plastic, order a new set and don't drive the car until they are fitted. Once done, then it is time to consider giving the seats a good leather treatment.

12. Likes dogbreath, BigE, danielfromaustin liked this post
    Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm happy for this to be a sticky is people want it to be. You're so right Nerja, I feel ashamed I'd left is 6-8 months before I got this done. A word to people, taking off the rocker cover sounds an awful lot more daunting than it really is.

The chaps have just been back this morning to finish off installing the cooling tower, thermostat and reconnecting all the pipes etc.
    Other than it blowing a gale and lashing it down with rain, everything has been completed easily.

We had a few nervous minutes where the LPG system refused to turn on but the chap knew instantly that it was air in the system which could only be bled once the thermostat had fully opened. i.e. input pipe hot, output pipe cold. Once he gave it a good revving the the thermostat opened, water flowed and LPG enabled. I'll check it tomorrow morning from absolute cold to be 100% sure it still works. I'll take one last picture once the weather improves.

We had to adjust the bonnet position after it was refitted as it was a few mm's out of alignment, still closed etc but they wanted to make sure I was 100% happy.
    The only complaint I had about their work, when they took the engine apart they used compressed air to blow the dust out of the engine bay. It happily settled on the bonnet on the ground so I now need to give it a bit of a clean. I'll let them off this one though.

Last thing left to-do is MOT on the 29th Jan, they are coming to collect the car, MOT it, help if it needs attention and return it to me for £55, as an MOT if £50 or something, that's good value and piece of mind the can realign headlights and stuff while there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great set of pics. Good to point out it is wear on the guides that could be the death of the engine. Little hint to those who just change the secondary tensioners.
    1998 XKR Convertible, 2004 S-type V8 SE

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just to clarify, the primary tensioners were absolutely fine, no cracks at all ,it was only the secondary tensioners that were cracked. The guides have metal cores with plastic around them, it looks to me like the plastic would just get chewed up in the engine and then probably drained out with an oil change. I can't see a broken guide actually taking out the engine unless it snapped right at the top where the bolt goes in.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast