Page 1 of 27 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Hacking the Jaguar touchscreen head unit for the XJ X350, S-Type and X-Type

Post Thanks / Like

Hacking the Jaguar touchscreen head unit for the XJ X350, S-Type and X-Type

Hi all, I’ve noticed that there seems to be quite a bit of interest in upgrading the Jag touchscreen with a higher resolution screen that can run multimedia apps, such as an Android or Raspberry PI system, and as I would like to do this myself I thought I’d start a thread about my own experiments with the OEM head unit as well as using it as a general information thread and personal brain dump.

Some other forum members have already successfully integrated an android system with the OEM head unit, and there’s a great deal of really helpful information on the forums about how this is done thanks to them!

So, first a little explanation of how the touchscreen system works – the two main components are the touchscreen head unit in the dash and the navigation control unit in the rear entertainment stack, which both work together to make a complete system. The navigation control unit in the boot which holds the nagivation DVD is more than just a sat-nav unit – it also renders all the graphics that display on the touchscreen for every available function, e.g. audio controls, climate control etc and thus is essential for the whole system to function. The video signal is sent from the navigation control unit as an RGBS (RGB + Composite Sync) signal to the touchscreen unit, and the touchscreen unit sends touch position data and other commands back to the navigation control unit over a 2 wire bus.

It’s thanks to this ‘split’ system that it is possible to feed a different video signal to the head unit by intercepting the RGBS video signal and replacing with a signal from a different source, e.g. android system etc, but with this we are limited to the maximum resolution of the internal LCD panel (480x234 pixels) which is certainly workable, but it does present difficulties in finding a modern system that can output a resolution low enough to be compatible.

I acquired a spare touchscreen head unit to experiment with so that I don’t have to drive around without a working system. My aim is to replace the LCD panel with a higher resolution unit, and allow switching between the external source (which might be Android or Raspberry PI) and the internal functions seamlessly. i.e. no external buttons to change source.

I’ve disassembled the head unit and taken a few photos which I’ll put in the next post.
    2004 XJ X350 Super V8 LWB - Custom 19" alloys, 4 zone climate control, rear business trays

Android upgrade to Jaguar Touchscreen for XJ X350/X358, S-Type and X-Type - HOWTO

2. Thanks Cambo351, Xag, ozrkr, kbizet thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, ozrkr, Thomasx liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here's my shiny new head unit, model number 2W93-10E889-DF. There are a few different variants of these touchscreen head units, they are used on the XJ X350, X-Type and S-type, the S-type and X-type have matt plastic bezels and the X350 has gloss black, plus some versions only have single zone climate control, and some don't have the front heated windscreen button. This particular one is from an X350, with dual zone climate, heated windscreen, and the Television option (which I thought might give me more things to experiment with, but of course is of no practical use now that there is no analogue TV anymore)

The front bezel comes off easily with just a few screws. you can see the two connectors that plug into the board in the bezel that connect the buttons and touchscreen matrix:

Underside of the bezel:

The LCD panel is attached by 4 screws, with a ribbon cable and 2 x backlight connectors. The panel is a Toshiba TFD70W20. I've had no success finding a datasheet for this panel, the closest equivalent seems to be the TFD70W10, but the pinout is completely different.

Underside of the panel, the two connectors on the flying leads are for the backlight, the ribbon cable is in the centre. It's a slightly unusual screen in that it incorporates the panel driver circuitry - most panels that you get now require a separate video driver board to convert the RGB or HDMI signal into the low level signals the panel uses, but this Toshiba panel takes RGBS directly:

Here's the panel laid into the recess of the boards in the bezel. Any panel that replaces this cannot be any larger as it's restricted all around by the touchscreen LED matrix. The panel is 104mm high and 170mm wide, and the active pixel area is 87mm high and 154mm wide:

The panel has a protective plastic panel mounted on top of it which is the bit you actually touch. This incorporates the black rounded edge masking that you see on the edge of the screen:

The jag head unit is a little unusual in that it doesn't use a normal touch membrane, but rather a matrix of 13x19 infra red LEDs all around the edge of the screen. When the beams are broken by a finger the X/Y position can be determined. This board unscrews from bezel and the 2 ribbon cables detatched:

This is the 'touch' matrix board. One of the diagnostic screens in the head unit (accessed by holding down PHONE and MENU together for 5 seconds then entering the code 1971) draws horizontal lines and then vertical lines for each LED beam in the matrix which can be tested by touching each one in turn:

The buttons around the screen are the carbon-impregnated rubber type, which completes a circuit by the action of the conductive rubber connecting two tracks on the board. As I plan to interface with these buttons to control the switching between external source and the internal OEM functions I mapped out which pads on the board connect to which button. I'll worry about how I actually do anything with them later (but probably with an Arduino):

At this point I put it back together and powered it up!
    Last edited by benwillcox; 07-02-16 at 17:47. Reason: Corrected LCD panel dimensions
    2004 XJ X350 Super V8 LWB - Custom 19" alloys, 4 zone climate control, rear business trays

Android upgrade to Jaguar Touchscreen for XJ X350/X358, S-Type and X-Type - HOWTO

4. Thanks Cambo351, Xag, ozrkr, kbizet, Ray the Spray thanked for this post
    Likes ozrkr, Ray the Spray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I started by powering up the screen to make sure everything is working before I start trying to swap panels around. I'm not sure whether it's possible to get hold of the connectors that are used on the unit, but the header plugs commonly found inside desktop computers to connect the case LEDS etc fit nicely on the pins, so I just wired up the pins individually to my bench power supply (+12v, ACC +12V and 0V). The problem first of all is that unfortunately it seems that the head unit doesn't activate the backlight of the LCD or in fact do anything of use unless it detects the data bus from the navigation control unit, so all that happens is the temperature LCD comes on and displays an error code corresponding to a communication fault.
    So, I've had to temporarily borrow the navigation control unit from my car to get it all working.

The navigation control unit requires +12v, ACC +12V and 0V to power up, and then also needs at a minimum the + and - communication bus connecting to the head unit. I switched on at this point and straight away the LCD panel backlight comes on, and the temperature LCD panel no longer displays any communication error codes. With a few more scrap cables from an old computer I wired in the Composite Sync, Ground, Red and Green between the two units - I didn't have enough for the Blue but that's not a problem for testing!

We have success (obviously slightly off colour due to the missing blue)!

What was interesting was the TV module. I had previously assumed that there must be a CVBS (composite video) signal internally somewhere between the RF processing and the RGBS output to the LCD panel that potentially could be a point to inject composite video as a quick way to get external video in, but it does appear to be RGBS at all stages. The teletext board does actually have CVBS screen printed at a test point on the board, but testing on the oscilloscope as well as feeding this line into a composite monitor it didn't seem to be a valid composite video signal. RGBS lines are also present from the teletext board too.
    This potentially gives a couple of ways of getting external RGBS into the unit without using an external switcher - one input from the RF demodulator board, and another separate one from the teletext board. It would mean that to select these if it were possible, would be to press MENU, then TV, to display the TV RGBS input, then there is a 'Teletext' on screen button that when pressed appears to change to the RGBS signal from the teletext board. Probably not really practical, plus the aim is to replace the internal panel anyway so not worth pursuing.
    Here's what you get on analogue TV these days:

Whilst fettling in the diagnostics menu (hold PHONE and MENU for 5 secs then enter 1971) I thought it would be fun to have a Daimler screen instead of a Jaguar screen:

Another interesting function in the diagnostic menu is the ability to run tests that are internally generated by the touchscreen head unit itself and not reliant on the external RGBS from the navigation control unit. You can see from the picture that all RGB colours are present on these screens despite the Blue line not being connected. It seems a bit of an oversight that the data bus (and RGBS signals in order to see anything) must be present and working before the screen will power up and allow you to enter diagnostic mode and then select the internal diagnostics.

That'll do for the time being.

6. Thanks Cambo351, Sailor, u102768, Xag, DarrylB and 3 others thanked for this post
    Likes stanboy, N/A, DarrylB, ozrkr, Ray the Spray and 1 others liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is very cool. I wanted to get into this a while back but too many projects. Keep us updated

8. Likes benwillcox liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've been looking at the various different LCD panels available to retro-fit into the position of the old panel, as well as controllers to drive it. There are a number of sellers on eBay selling bundles of LCD panel, controller, touch overlay, keyboard (to control the On Screen Display of the controller) and with/without remote control, with different combinations of model of each component.

There are a couple of different model of video controllers, but by far the most common is one known as VS-TY2662-V1 or PCB800099. There's some information about this controller here: http://tech.mattmillman.com/lcd/pcb800099/ but better still, Venelin (who posts here as veffremov, and creator of the D2B bluetooth audio streaming upgrade module) has already done some work on this board as described here http://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/au...-input-153508/ proving that it does work with the OEM RGBS signals when loaded with his custom firmware. This is enough for me to decide that this is the controller I'll use.

The good features of the controller are that it has connections for HDMI, VGA (which can be used with RGBS), and 2 x composite video inputs. This would be ideal as the VGA input could be used for the RGBS source from the navigation control unit, the HDMI from the Android tablet/Raspberry PI, and the composite video for a reversing camera or other video input if wanted. BUT, a big potential problem with this is that it appears the only way to switch input is using the On Screen Display menu. This is not compatible with my 'seamless' integration requirements! But, I will deal with that as and when, if worse comes to the worse I can use the VGA input for everything with an input switcher in front of it and convert the Android/PI output to VGA.

So on to panel choosing. The standard LCD is 480x234 resolution which is considered pretty low by modern standards, so the aim is to fit a replacement that is a higher resolution. I found a great resource here: http://www.panelook.com/ which is a database of LCD panels and you can search and filter by most attributes including resolution, screen size, panel dimensions and active area dimensions, so perfect to find a replacement that will fit.
    Looking at the panel models of the various eBay sellers there seems to the the following common models in a 7 inch size:

Panel model Resolution Case
    dims
    Active area
    dims
    N070ICG-LD1 1280×800 161×107 149.76×93.6
    AT070TNA2 1024×600 165.75×105.39 153.6×90
    HV070WSA-100 1024×600 164.05×100.86 153.6×90
    HV070WS1-105 1024×600 163.6×102.9 153.6×90
    AT070TN92 800×480 164.9×100 154.08×85.92
    TFD70W20
    (Standard OEM
    panel)
    480x234 170x104 154x87

Obviously higher resolution is better, but the 1280x800 panel is just too tall to fit (veffremov also has confirmed that this is the case).
    I think 1024x600 should be sufficient - the AT070TNA2 is also slightly too tall, panelook.com shows that HV070WS1-105 is discontinued, so leaves the HV070WSA-100 which is small enough to fit and has hopefully close enough active area size (there will be 1.5mm visible area lost top and bottom masked behind the plastic panel with curved black masking).

This: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HDMI-VGA-2...MAAOSwo6lWLtZV seems like its the right combination of panel and driver.

In addition I also need a touch overlay with USB interface to go on the panel, but I'm struggling to find one that is the correct dimensions to fit the HV070WSA panel. If I go for the 800x480 option instead its simple as the full kit with LCD, touch overlay, remote control, keyboard and video driver is available for £30 from China.
    Needs a bit more thought....

10. Thanks Cambo351, Xag, ozrkr, kbizet thanked for this post
    Likes ozrkr, Lost it, Ray the Spray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Will be following with interest, thanks Ben.

Got a spare unit with TV also, so would like to modify it sometime.
    Super V8, X358 Facelift + Portfolio Vents + Wald Spoiler, Black Cherry with Ivory/Charcoal leather + Rear Entertainment, Picnic Trays and Split Rear Reclining Seats. 200 Cell Cats, 2.5 SS Custom X-Pipe Exhaust
    Ex. XJ X350 3.0 Silver/Dove

12. Likes benwillcox liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Ben,

As I suspected, you are indeed a brain surgeon

Another great how to thread or at least it is for those who can understand, sadly I ain't one of them.

Still going to follow it though in the hope I get a bit brainier
    Silentum Sicarius

Born 24 November 2005
    Jaguar Super V8 LWB in Midnight Black with Ivory
    All options except Sunroof. Lambswool Overmats are MIA
    Longlife Exhaust - Rear Silencers Removed

My Showroom Thread

2000 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 ES Td5
    A 7 seat, go anywhere family bus
    Currently not going anywhere - Saggy Back End Syndrome

14. Likes benwillcox liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Ben, as a retired electronics display hardware engineer I'm following your splendid efforts with great interest!
    Quote Originally Posted by benwillcox View Post
    In addition I also need a touch overlay with USB interface to go on the panel, but I'm struggling to find one that is the correct dimensions to fit the HV070WSA panel. Needs a bit more thought....
    Unless I missed something, why can't you use the LED 'touch' matrix that's already in the mounting bezel? This technology is still used on many ruggedised military displays and I would have thought that its resolution is sufficient - unless you want new 'iPhone' type features like drag and swipe etc. when it may become more difficult to resolve where the finger is going.
    2006 X350 XJ8 3.5 V8 Sport Premium (Midnight/Ivory)
    Previous:
    2006 XJ6 2.7 TDVi (Indigo Blue/Barley Straw)
    1999 X308 XJ8 4.0 V8 (Meteorite/Warm Charcoal)
    1996 X300 3.2 Executive (Spruce green /cream)
    1994 XJ40 3.2 Sport (Gunmetal/Saville grey)

16. Likes benwillcox liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great topic but way over my head. If it's if any interest, my S Type has an after market DVD player and screens in the rear headrests and by flicking a couple of switches the DVD will display the picture on the front screen simultaneously. Sound is connected via an FM transmitter in the boot.
    Currently enjoying: 2009 XK Convertible 5 litre Red 22,222 miles.
    2006 S Type R. Slate Grey with Dove Grey Interior. Full Burr Walnut upgrade, Rear DVD screens. 62,000 miles.
    1999 XKR Convertible. Meteorite Silver with Ivory leather. 75k. LOUD pipes. Great!
    http://www.jaguarforum.com/album.php?albumid=998
    Previously enjoyed: 1970 XL6 4.2 1974; 1982 XJS HE V12 5.3 1987 - 1990; 2000 S Type 3.0 manual 2001-2015; 1998 XK8 Convertible Mar/Apr 2016.

18. Likes benwillcox liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the interest folks.
    Brian, I wasn't aware that the LED matrix type of touchscreens were still in common use, but the main reason for adding a touchscreen overlay is for the ease of interfacing. With the LCD touchscreen kit comes a resistive overlay to USB controller board, meaning that the touchscreen can interface with the Android tablet or Raspberry PI just by plugging in the USB and working as a standard touch interface. I don't know how one would go about decoding the output of the matrix system and converting it to something that a normal computer would understand, I'm sure its possible but a lot harder and with a lower resolution output as the end result.

It's an interesting point about the iPhone style touch interface - I believe that for multi-touch inputs i.e. 'stretching' and 'rotating' the view using multiple fingers (e.g. in Google Maps for example) that a capacitive type of touchscreen would be needed, but as far as I can see these are not readily available as overlays like the resistive type. It looks like these are actually often incorporated into the LCD panel itself, so a different beast altogether. With a resistive overlay swiping and dragging will still be possible, just not multitouch.

20. Thanks ozrkr, Eric.Desmond thanked for this post
    Likes ozrkr liked this post
Page 1 of 27 1234511 ... LastLast