Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Moving F1 forward

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just a thought but with Volkswagen pulling out of the WRC and Audi retiring from WEC - I wonder if this is a precursor to pool all resources into a Formula 1 entry?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BigE View Post
    Just a thought but with Volkswagen pulling out of the WRC and Audi retiring from WEC - I wonder if this is a precursor to pool all resources into a Formula 1 entry?
    I think they may struggle with Fuel Consumption!!

Cheers

Mike.
    2005 2.5 AWD X Type, 2005 MGTF, 2008 Volvo C70, 1971 Triumph TR6 owned & modified for 15 years

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikeadman View Post
    I think they may struggle with Fuel Consumption!!

Cheers

Mike.
    And the emissions.
    Jim.
    2009 XK 5.0L PortfolioPast:-87'XJS 3.6L, 93'XJ40 3.2L gold, 95'XJ6 4.0L sport, 00'XJ8 3.2L sport, 2005 XK8 4.2L coupe in that order and enjoyed all of 'em.

I do not offer advice, I only say what I would do with the set of circumstances presented. Your choice always.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    They have software for that!

Post Thanks / Like
    They have software for that!
    So did VW.
    Jim.
    2009 XK 5.0L PortfolioPast:-87'XJS 3.6L, 93'XJ40 3.2L gold, 95'XJ6 4.0L sport, 00'XJ8 3.2L sport, 2005 XK8 4.2L coupe in that order and enjoyed all of 'em.

I do not offer advice, I only say what I would do with the set of circumstances presented. Your choice always.

Post Thanks / Like
    The emissions scandal has hit VAG massively, they've pulled out of nearly all motorsports completely, stopped production of some new models and scrapped some entirely. I doubt they would even entertain F1 in the near future at all.
    Current Car:
    2017 XE R-Sport 25t 250Ps 18MY.

Previous Cars:
    2000 S-Type 3.0L SE Auto
    2004 X-Type 3.0L AWD SE Auto estate.
    2007 XK x150 4.2L Coupe

Resident Super Moderator.
    V6 X-Type Oil Sump Replacement Guide

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Their fine is a blip in the ocean Ian.
    VAG group spend more than any other car manufacturer in the world on R&D every year, some $40billion I think I read. If they get fined $13billion (I'm sure I read that also) by the disgruntled types then all they need to do is cut back in R&D/Sports for a year then come back quite strong. I guarantee the burden will be moved to shareholders etc quite easily. I'm sure they are limbering up for an F1 return, and my bet is with Audi and as an engine provider to Red Bull and maybe as Lamborghini to Toro Rosso

Post Thanks / Like
    VAG are in deeper Kack than you may imagine they are no longer going to sell diesel products in the USA ( pop 330mill) with 2 cars per family . It was a HUGE market for dirty oilers & one that VW wanted to crack . Not that the Americans were in love with diesels in the first place , this has kocked the confidence in VAG petrol products also. In a land where the biggest selling family car is a BIG pick up truck RAM. Chevy. Ford & assorted Jap . Golfs & Passats are mere novelties . Unless you sell BIG Pick ups or BIG SUV's forget it .. Trumps " America first " will kick in & Americans will start buying domestics again . Mexican , Brazilian & Canadian factories wil shut & return to a streamlined Detroit style scenario, with the lions share on hybrid /, electric transport. In 10 yrs the European market will be dominated by Chinese products .AS an aside Ford sell 600.000 F model P/ups a year & the Americans buy just over 2 million annually ( Scrap yards must be full of them )
    I'm an Ex , X type owner X2 .. Petrol man & auto..

Now I'm a Yeti & Fabia owner Petrol man & auto..

Post Thanks / Like
    VW are planning to cut 30,000 jobs. "Wasting" money on motorsports does not go down well in such negative atmospheres. I doubt you will see VW and Audi back in top-line motorsports for quite some time now. Look how long it has taken since selling PAG for Ford to start spending on racing again and they did not have the same level of problems as VW?
    S-Type 3.0 Manual MY2001 in Pacific Blue with Cashmere Leather Sport Seats, Sunroof, Melbourne Alloys, Premium Sound plus some other stuff ... 55k miles.
    XKR 5.0 Speed Pack MY2011 in Polaris White with Ivory/Charcoal Leather, Nevis Alloys and R-Performance Interior plus some other stuff ... 16k miles.
    FIAT Coupe MY1997 in Steel Grey with Tan Leather ... 55k miles.

10. Likes Ian D liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Neilr View Post
    VW are planning to cut 30,000 jobs. "Wasting" money on motorsports does not go down well in such negative atmospheres. I doubt you will see VW and Audi back in top-line motorsports for quite some time now. Look how long it has taken since selling PAG for Ford to start spending on racing again and they did not have the same level of problems as VW?
    I must admit though not a great Motorsport Fan I totally agree with your thoughts regarding VW,it would be a Public Relations
    Disaster in the present climate.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast