Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving F1 forward

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Moving F1 forward

I was watching the F1 show last night on Sky and they had an older chap on (not sure who) who was suggesting that F1 cars would benefit from using more ground effect grip but critically removing the front wing entirely as per 1982 as it becomes redundant once the ground effect takes over. I thought it was a great and simple idea as how often do we see a tiny contact on the first corner knock the front wing which then spoils a race? remove the wing, no problem. I think he also suggested that the back wing could be removed but not sure.

What I'd think is good would be:
    1. Re-introduce ground effect/venturi tunnels
    2. Remove the front wing, this would stop the issue pf people loosing front downforce when getting close to the car in front.
    3. Require front suspension can withstand XYZ strength knocks
    4. Remove the rear wing but ensure the rules contain a appropriate clauses to ensure the air coming off the back of the car is clean, maybe just retain a gurney strip
    5. Wider tyres and wide track cars (already in the 2017 rules)

These would be huge changes for F1 and would very much reduce the effect of downforce.

Barney100golf
    Quote Originally Posted by BigE View Post
    What I'd think is good would be:
    1. Re-introduce ground effect/venturi tunnels
    2. Remove the front wing, this would stop the issue pf people loosing front downforce when getting close to the car in front.
    3. Require front suspension can withstand XYZ strength knocks
    4. Remove the rear wing but ensure the rules contain a appropriate clauses to ensure the air coming off the back of the car is clean, maybe just retain a gurney strip
    5. Wider tyres and wide track cars (already in the 2017 rules)

These would be huge changes for F1 and would very much reduce the effect of downforce.
    Would the venturi/ground effect still be lost by the following car when getting close to the car in front? we would need an aero guy to answer, but the best bet is to remove all aero and just go back to mechanical grip

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Apparently not, the venturi tunnels effectively suck the car to the ground so it doesn't matter what air is coming from the car in front. The idea is that it would let cars run much closer. The mechanical grip comes from sucking (rather than pushing) the car to the road and with bigger tyres it maximises grip in the corners at a slight reduction of straight line speed. This then allows the engine people to churn out more power to recoup the lost speed.

There was an interesting article about all this from Paddy Lowe: here it is: http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/...ing-means-2017, obviously knows a thing or two about such things.

Barney100golf
    I think any thing that gets rid of the ugly great wings and allows closer racing would be for the good also the cost of all that Aero is stopping privatiers from being able to compete

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    The only downside I guess is that the big sponsors go on the rear wings so removing them gives less visibility.
    i agree the front wings, although they are works of engineering art, are very ugly.

Barney100golf
    well with ground effect the side pods would get bigger so the advertising could go there

Barney100golf
    Also sadly wings seem to be fitted to Motogp bikes

Barney100golf

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Engineers will keep creating downforce wherever they can until they are told they can't. The governing body needs to be strong and lead, not be reactive and weak.

10. Likes N/A, Irish Pappy liked this post
    Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Excellent news, if true.

Ross Brawn has already signed a contract to succeed Bernie Ecclestone as Formula 1 chief.

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns35180.html?

12. Likes Tiptronic liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast