Thread: silent start

Post Thanks / Like

silent start

Hello,
    since some days I have a F- Type S.
    Now my wife asks me, if it is also possible to start the engine more quiet!?
    Has anybody an idea?

Kind regards from

Klaus

Post Thanks / Like
    Give her a pair of ear plugs.
    Welcome to the forum.
    Jim.
    2009 XK 5.0L PortfolioPast:-87'XJS 3.6L, 93'XJ40 3.2L gold, 95'XJ6 4.0L sport, 00'XJ8 3.2L sport, 2005 XK8 4.2L coupe in that order and enjoyed all of 'em.

I do not offer advice, I only say what I would do with the set of circumstances presented. Your choice always.

3. Likes rchiv, JPJag liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the forum.

Roger
    HEY I THOUGHT I HAD RETIRED, Ex Auto Electrician
    2006 X Type 2.2d SE Manual Estate. Zurcon Blue Champagne/Mocca, F/R Parking sensors, ,Auto Lights, Auto Wipers, Headlight Washers, Sat Nav 2012 update, 17 in Wheels, 102K Mods:- Electric Autofold Mirrors on Locking , HID Dip Beams
    Simple Autofold Mirrors on Locking,http://www.jaguarforum.com/showthrea...irrors+locking
    UPDATE YOUR SIGNATURE http://www.jaguarforum.com/showthread.php?t=91945

Post Thanks / Like
    Know the feeling, I have to work on call and starting the car up at 3 or 4 am is a bit embarrassing
    Salsa Red F type V6S, 20 inch turbine wheels, performance seats, meridian, carbon fibre pack, reversing camera and other bits I will remember at some point

Post Thanks / Like
    Probably giving away a bit about what I do for a living now. The starting strategy to fit inline with EU regs allows a start "flare up" to around 3k. Then to get the catalytic converters up to operating temp faster the car will idle around 1800-2000 rpm then when up to temp the car will revert to normal "idle" levels of 800-1000rpm. This is normally 90 -120 secs

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine starts reasonably quietly when cold, but when you re-start when warm, for example after filling up at a petrol station, it revs and pops, attracting a lot of looks. I bet everyone thinks I do it on purpose, but that's just what happens. Makes me grin from ear to ear though! I just love that exhaust note!
    F Type V6S Convertible, Italian Racing Red

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, it can be an anti-social start-up, depending on where you park. I garage mine at home and if I'm leaving very early in the AM I'll park outside the night before -- that way I wake up the neighborhood vs. everyone in the house.

The car's noises are part of it's character. I love how she snarls and growls at the slow cars as we pass them on the highway...
    2015 Jaguar F-Type V6S Coupe Rhodium Silver
    2006 Jaguar X-Sportwagon Liquid Silver
    "Keep it between the hedges with the rubber side down."

Post Thanks / Like
    I lived with the F type S for a weekend and loved every minute of it, yes the start up is loud but gorgeous music to my ears ( maybe not so much the neighbours ) but I think it is what it is I'm afraid

Jim
    MY2008 ( 58 ) XJ X358 2.7 Tdvi Sovereign LWB remapped to 245bhp, Black, Ivory leather interior with black piping, 20" Alloys
    MY2007 Audi A6 3.0 Tdi SE Quattro 176bhp Stratos Blue, Front & Rear park assist, Comms Pack High, Sline grille badge, 19" 7 twin spoke RS4 alloys,
    Rear tints, Dipped bulbs 80W, Mainbeams 100W, Foglights 100W, Number plate bulb LED's, Interior bulb LED's, First Aid Kit

Post Thanks / Like
    If when you press the start button you then put it in gear very quickly (<1 second) that will dim down the start up flare.

Post Thanks / Like
    Gridout's technique is what I use - start the engine and immediately put it into gear and the revs will drop to normal idle speed quickly enough for bystanders to think "oh, maybe I just imagined that noise". If you are not going to move off straight away you can put it back into park and it will remain quiet. You've got to be quick to catch it as the flare is just starting otherwise you'll still get a full bark before the quiet.

I do wish there was a silent start option, like holding down the exhaust button while starting the engine. I don't take my F-Type anywhere where I know I will be leaving very late or very early because of the noise. Having lived in the same street as neighbours with loud cars I know just how antisocial they can be at the wrong time of day.
    2015 F-Type R 5.0, White, full spec with CF pack, Mods: 360 camera
    2010 XJ LWB 3.0D, Grey, Mods: BSM, 2013 RSE, DAB, LED headlamps, Faster touch screen, Illuminated vents
    2004 XJR 4.2, Silver, Mods: 2008 facelift inside & out, RSE, BT, SC pulley
    2004 XJ 3.0, Grey, Mods: RSE, BT
    2004 X-Type 2.0D, Mods: full spec infotainment, RSE