Thread: What to do when selling one car, having bought another

Post Thanks / Like

What to do when selling one car, having bought another

When changing car, I almost always sell my existing car privately which means there is usually some overlap when I have got the new car but not yet sold the old car. Normally I just switch insurance on to the new car at this point because the old car is sitting in the garage awaiting a buyer and not getting used. Without giving it too much thought, I was under the impression that the old car would still be covered "fire and theft" but not fully comp.

However on looking at my current policy, I see that I'm only insured for the existing car and any other car not owned by me (where I have the owner's permission). In other words, my old car sitting in the garage is not covered at all.

I should therefore be insuring both cars.

Is that what others do?
    2009 XK 5.0 Portfolio

Post Thanks / Like
    Make sure you declare SORN on the old car if you do not intend to insure it.
    2007 XJ diesel Sovereign
    KTM 1290 SuperDuke R
    Triumph Tiger Explorer XC

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry it's a bit late for this thread but most insurers now cover you for 24 hrs for both cars so that you can drive to a dealer and drive you new car home.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Phil, didn't know that, although when I am selling privately I need longer than 24 hours! Typically two or three weeks.
    2009 XK 5.0 Portfolio

Post Thanks / Like
    In your case I would contact my insurer and see if they will cover both cars for a short period. When you take it for a test drive for example the prospective buyer may be covered to drive other vehicles not owned by him but with the owners permission on his insurance but the car has to be insured by the owner for that to be valid.

Roger
    HEY I THOUGHT I HAD RETIRED, Ex Auto Electrician
    2006 X Type 2.2d SE Manual Estate. Zurcon Blue Champagne/Mocca, F/R Parking sensors, ,Auto Lights, Auto Wipers, Headlight Washers, Sat Nav 2012 update, 17 in Wheels, 102K Mods:- Electric Autofold Mirrors on Locking , HID Dip Beams
    Simple Autofold Mirrors on Locking,http://www.jaguarforum.com/showthrea...irrors+locking
    UPDATE YOUR SIGNATURE http://www.jaguarforum.com/showthread.php?t=91945

6. Thanks Beefbeefbeef thanked for this post