Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2000. Jaguar S-type 2.5 V6

Post Thanks / Like

2000. Jaguar S-type 2.5 V6

Hi everybody,

so, little background, I was a fan of Jaguar since I first saw XJ model when I was a kid. I am a car fan, I don't settle with new Kia or Hyundai, or anything that is "compromise" and yes, I love cars from 2000. to 2005. the new ones aren't that beautiful IMHO. I live in Zagreb, Croatia, so finding a Jaguar is always a luck. I own an Mazda Miata NB generation, 1.8 Icon model as a second car / wife and I share it, and main car is na Lancia Lybra SW 2.4 JTD, beautiful with Italian problems. And now, my wife is supporting me to achieve my child dream - Jaguar.

I felt in love with Jaguar S-type when I saw it on Sting's Desert Rose music video back in 1999.

I found at a dealer an Jaguar S-type 2.5 V6 model, early model from 2000. with only 107.000 km (about 67.000 miles) it has great service history and it is from 1st owner, so pedigree is great. It is priced with only 4.000 EUR.

So my main questions is, what is life with an S-type?

Main questions:

1. Reliability of the engine
    2. Reliability of automatic transmission
    3. Cost of service (remember I live in Croatia, so I would mainly buy parts from UK/EU)
    4. MPG - who much is the Jag tearsty? In the city? On the highway (my usualy highway speed is 140 - 150 km/h or 85 mph - 95 mph)
    5. What else do I need to know about that model?

I will usually expect the car as I would any used car.

Thank you for your help!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi and welcome!
    The Jaguar S-type 2.5 V6 should be from 2002 onwards and if an automatic will have the ZF 6HP26 gearbox. Both engine and gearbox are generally regarded as reliable. The some early gearboxes were improved with later software and do need the occasional oil change. There is a lot of info around about these areas.

You may find that the suspension bushes and other components need some attention at these mileages/ages so look out for a smooth, quiet ride. If there are noises and directional instability, some attention is probably required. ARB bushes and drop links don't seem to last long on these cars but are easy and cheap to replace. Wheel bearings also seem to be a common wear item, so check for quiet running.

Plastic components, such as header tanks, pipe joints, headlight light adjusters, window regulator parts, go brittle and break, so may need replacing - check for water leaks and clonky electric windows etc.

Rust is not a major problem but the sills are prone to poultice corrosion. Mud holds moisture under the sill covers and the sills suffer. Take a close look at these areas and rear wheel arches, etc.

Some electrics need particular checking, such as parking aids and door/boot locks. These are often problematic. Also water leaking into the boot via the boot lid seal or the rear light seals can cause problems. Look for signs of water in the boot. A good battery is also a prerequisite as low voltage throws up random non-errors that disappear with a new battery. Maybe budget for a new one or get the dealer to fit one as part of any deal

The heater distribution valve often fails too and results in only hot or cold air, so another item to check.

The rest is standard stuff for any older car.

Btw, my 3.0 manual drinks about 12-14 l/100km in town but can be pursuaded to take only 9 on the Autobahns at about 120km/h. At upto 150km/h, I think it is more like 10-11 l/100km.
    S-Type 3.0 Manual MY2001 in Pacific Blue with Cashmere Leather Sport Seats, Sunroof, Melbourne Alloys, Premium Sound plus some other stuff ... 51k miles.
    XKR 5.0 Speed Pack MY2011 in Polaris White with Ivory/Charcoal Leather, Nevis Alloys and R-Performance Interior plus some other stuff ... 14k miles.
    FIAT Coupe MY1997 in Steel Grey with Tan Leather ... 51k miles.

3. Thanks zriha thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Neilr,

thanks for helping me out, so should I avoid this 2000. model?

Best regards!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by zriha View Post
    ... so should I avoid this 2000. model?
    No, not necessarily. Dig a bit deeper. It should not be pre-2002. The 2.5 V6 was only fitted from that date and the ZF automatic also. The Ford automatic on the first gen cars is not anywhere near as reliable and should probably be avoided when the ZF-equiped models are only a little more expensive. The manuals are generally reliable but not very popular so rare - it is an "old mans" car after all

If you have any pictures or links, post them and we can give you more pointers. The 2.5 should have the more traditional interior, the electro-mechanical handbrake (no traditional lever, but a switch in the back of the console) and the growler in the grill and not on the bonnet.

- Neil
    S-Type 3.0 Manual MY2001 in Pacific Blue with Cashmere Leather Sport Seats, Sunroof, Melbourne Alloys, Premium Sound plus some other stuff ... 51k miles.
    XKR 5.0 Speed Pack MY2011 in Polaris White with Ivory/Charcoal Leather, Nevis Alloys and R-Performance Interior plus some other stuff ... 14k miles.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I don't have VIN number, but I will go and check the car in upcoming days, so I will get VIN number.

Here are the photos for the ad, maybe it can help:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jaguar-type-2.5-v6-automatik-slika-33678881.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	120.0 KB 
ID:	19627

Name:	jaguar-type-2.5-v6-automatik-slika-33678882.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	114.0 KB 
ID:	19628

Name:	jaguar-type-2.5-v6-automatik-slika-33678883.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	98.8 KB 
ID:	19629

Name:	jaguar-type-2.5-v6-automatik-slika-33678884.jpg 
Size:	121.9 KB 
ID:	19630

Name:	jaguar-type-2.5-v6-automatik-slika-33678887.jpg 
Size:	75.7 KB 
ID:	19631

Name:	jaguar-type-2.5-v6-automatik-slika-33678888.jpg 
Size:	68.0 KB 
ID:	19632

Name:	jaguar-type-2.5-v6-automatik-slika-33678889.jpg 
Size:	76.8 KB 
ID:	19633

Thank you for helping.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmm ... that is a Gen I car. It does look in good fettle and may be fine. Nice colour combination - just like mine And nice wheels. Though, I would expect it is a 3.0 V6 as the 2.5 was not fitted to that generation of car (3.0 V6 and 4.0 V8 only).

But it has the Ford 5R55N transmission. Some hold up well, but read any car forums where that gearbox was fitted and it always throws up a very high proportion of problems/failures. A transmission replacement is not financially sensible with cars at these price levels so you should try and stack the odds in your favour as far as possible. The ZF is the safer bet but also needs the occasional oil change which is also not cheap. How much more do the slightly later cars go for?

Currently in Germany, you can get something like this for a little more:

https://www.autoscout24.de/angebote/...b-be58784bc8bb

8. Thanks zriha thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the help,well I will avoid this model, so in general what models and years should I look for S-type to be in the "safe zone" as much as possible.

I am aware that it is also all about the previous owner, did he drive it good or not, did he service it good or not.

So I am not having a problem with the mileage, because I often saw that some models with 1 owner and high mileage is in better shape then some models with low mileage and maybe few owners.

Post Thanks / Like
    Basically anything after 2002 with the new dash will have the ZF gearbox (if automatic). The 2.5, 3.0 and 4.2 petrol engines are generally very reliable as are the manual gearboxes. The diesel does seem to throw up a few extra problems but is also a reasonable choice. The later cars are technically more refined as Jaguar continually improved the car, but there seems to have been a trade off in quality of some components with items like exhausts becoming thinner and lighter but not lasting as long. Take your time, do your research and pick on condition, and you should be fine.

11. Thanks zriha thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you, and what to expect from MPG?

I would look for automatic, as it would be in majority of situations in the city so it is more comfortable to drive with automatic.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by zriha View Post
    Thank you, and what to expect from MPG?
    I would expect anywhere between 8 (Autobahn 120 km/h) and 14 (town, cold) l/100kms depending on driving style, tyre/wheel size and tyre rolling resistance. Since I changed from 16" wheels to 18" ones with new tyres with a higher rolling resistance, I can't get the mileage I used to with the 16" wheels.

14. Thanks zriha thanked for this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast