Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ingenium six cylinder

Barney100golf
    Quote Originally Posted by graham-r View Post
    Don't go there - selling RR & Bentley were crimes against humanity.

Can you imagine the German govt allowing the sale of Merc/BMW/Porsche, the French wouldn't sell their major car companies either as they are effectively state owned.....
    I agree, hence my tongue in cheek comment

Post Thanks / Like
    Aren't the AM V12's BMW engines ?
    No, apparently they are cobbled together from Ford stuff
    S-Type 3.0 Manual MY2001 in Pacific Blue with Cashmere Leather Sport Seats, Sunroof, Melbourne Alloys, Premium Sound plus some other stuff ... 55k miles.
    XKR 5.0 Speed Pack MY2011 in Polaris White with Ivory/Charcoal Leather, Nevis Alloys and R-Performance Interior plus some other stuff ... 16k miles.
    FIAT Coupe MY1997 in Steel Grey with Tan Leather ... 55k miles.

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't go there - selling RR & Bentley were crimes against humanity.

Can you imagine the German govt allowing the sale of Merc/BMW/Porsche, the French wouldn't sell their major car companies either as they are effectively state owned.....
    Well the Chinese are buying up German companies. There is nothing much the governments can do against such sales in the private sector. France protects Renault as the government has a stake in it.
    S-Type 3.0 Manual MY2001 in Pacific Blue with Cashmere Leather Sport Seats, Sunroof, Melbourne Alloys, Premium Sound plus some other stuff ... 55k miles.
    XKR 5.0 Speed Pack MY2011 in Polaris White with Ivory/Charcoal Leather, Nevis Alloys and R-Performance Interior plus some other stuff ... 16k miles.

Barney100golf
    previous governments always had the option with High profile national companies, in the effect of a golden share, but they think free markets matter more so do not interefere,

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Neilr View Post
    No, apparently they are cobbled together from Ford stuff
    I didn't know that, well I wish they had taken a little more time - they might have made quite a good engine
    S Type 4.2 SE Plus 2002 std spec: Xenon HID/SatNav/Voice/CDC/TV/GSM Phone (for now)/Sun Roof/Rear Blind/CATS.
    Retro-fitted: Dash Cam/USB PSU in Armrest.
    Todo: Bluetooth phone/Reversing cam/Wireless Phone Charger in Dash, maybe Premium Sound/Garage opener/Front parking sensors.

Post Thanks / Like
    The AM v12 is 2 x V6 Ford engines stuck together with some fettling by Cosworth.

The new AM v12 is downsized slightly with twin turbos and has quite a few differences from the NA v12.

They are still made at the Ford engine plant in Cologne in their own building on the site.

The new AM V8 is to be bought in from Mercedes AMG.
    Current Car:
    2017 XE R-Sport 25t 250Ps 18MY.

Previous Cars:
    2000 S-Type 3.0L SE Auto
    2004 X-Type 3.0L AWD SE Auto estate.
    2007 XK x150 4.2L Coupe

Resident Super Moderator.
    V6 X-Type Oil Sump Replacement Guide

Post Thanks / Like
    I didn't know that, well I wish they had taken a little more time - they might have made quite a good engine
    They are "cobbled together" from Ford stuff in the same way that the Jaguar 5.0 AJ-V8 is.

It's true that the out-going 5.9 litre Aston Martin V12 engine can trace its evolution back to the Ford Duratec V6s, but if the Jaguar 3.0 V6 in the X-Type, S-Type and early XF was heavily modified from the Ford engine using new heads, intakes, exhausts etc then Aston Martin had even more to do to make a competitive V12 from them.

New block castings, completely new cylinder heads, new crankshaft, new camshafts, new intakes ... in reality all that's still compatible it's only a few bits and pieces that might still be interchangeable with a Ford engine.

I agree with OP however, turbocharging is horrible.
    2005 S-Type 3.0 Sport
    2005 X-Type 3.0 Sport Premium
    1999 TVR Cerbera 4.5
    1972 MG Midget
    2014 XFR-S (French Racing Blue with the proper spoiler)

Post Thanks / Like
    I think most of us are aware that Ford have been very central in the support and supply of engines to Jaguar. That goes to show how much of a task it is for a company as small as JLR to start building new engines for themselves, which will also cover the majority of their needs. However much we might like our Ford V8s, the numbers here don't add up anymore and buying them in is the only way. I think AM got the better one though - those hand-built AMG V8s are a nice piece of engineering.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12