Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ingenium six cylinder

Post Thanks / Like

Ingenium six cylinder

Hi all,

Not sure if this has been discussed before - I am a very happy owner of a F-Type V6 S Coupe - but I am concerned about the future of this amazing V6 engine (and the V8 too).
    All the reports I have read indicate that the upcoming Ingenium straight six is going to be turbocharged as apposed to supercharged - the latter which has been a Jaguar hallmark for many years now.
    I am concerned that the glorious V6 sound is going to disappear (As is the case with many other manufacturers that is going the inevitable route of downsizing/turbocharging).

Is there any indication that Jaguar might still stick to supercharging? The instantaneous throttle response is also
    fantastic - it would be terrible if these amazing characteristics of supercharging are going to be ditched in favour of turbocharging. That said, I do love the advantages of what turbocharging bring - I would not mind another turbocharged
    XF for example - for that application, it makes perfect sense - for a sports car however, I like the more "pure" powerplant.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated!

Post Thanks / Like
    the straight six is what Jaguar were renowned for the V6 is the interloper and
    isn't a true Jaguar product I think its good news that Jag are going back to there roots with the new engine
    and as for turbocharging there is no choice as they have to keep emissions low and MPG high

would be nice to see them make a new all Jag V8 too
    S TYPE R 2003
    BMW M3 EVOLUTION 1998
    You can not beat me in a argument
    I am too stupid to know when I am beaten

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by payno View Post
    ... would be nice to see them make a new all Jag V8 too
    That seems already out the window as they will be buy a V8 from BMW:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars...ar-land-rover/
    S-Type 3.0 Manual MY2001 in Pacific Blue with Cashmere Leather Sport Seats, Sunroof, Melbourne Alloys, Premium Sound plus some other stuff ... 51k miles.
    XKR 5.0 Speed Pack MY2011 in Polaris White with Ivory/Charcoal Leather, Nevis Alloys and R-Performance Interior plus some other stuff ... 14k miles.
    FIAT Coupe MY1997 in Steel Grey with Tan Leather ... 51k miles.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Neilr View Post

That would be a really bad move.
    2002 2.5 V6 SE S Type in Seafrost green (Soon to have: HID/Dashcam/Touch screen/Sat Nav/Reversing Camera/Std Bluetooth/Voice & Rear Aux Power socket)
    2005 2.0D X Type SE Estate
    (Winter pack/HID's/Dashcam/Touch screen/Sat Nav/Reversing Camera/Voice/ACM/Bluetooth) - Gone to the great scrapyard in the sky

Barney100golf

Lets call them a Rolls royce engine

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by graham-r View Post
    That would be a really bad move.
    why would that be Graham ?
    S TYPE R 2003
    BMW M3 EVOLUTION 1998
    You can not beat me in a argument
    I am too stupid to know when I am beaten

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by payno View Post
    why would that be Graham ?
    Credibility - I think any car manufacturer that wants to be taken seriously should do as much as possible in-house.

I am aware that Jaguar started out using other manufacturers engine/gearboxes/chassis/running gear etc - but they are not that company any more.

I am also aware that the Ford influence (aka money) required them to use Ford based engines which they then modified for their own use - the V8 (AJ27/AJ28 etc) AFAIK are entirely down to Jaguar design (using FMC money....), the X100 R used a Merc gearbox - but to buy in a complete engine - the heart of the car....... Doesn't work for me - not for this type of car manufacturer anyway.

That is what I think.
    2002 2.5 V6 SE S Type in Seafrost green (Soon to have: HID/Dashcam/Touch screen/Sat Nav/Reversing Camera/Std Bluetooth/Voice & Rear Aux Power socket)
    (Winter pack/HID's/Dashcam/Touch screen/Sat Nav/Reversing Camera/Voice/ACM/Bluetooth) - Gone to the great scrapyard in the sky

Post Thanks / Like
    So you won't be buying a new Aston Martin either then?

http://www.executivestyle.com.au/ben...n-martin-2qoba
    S-Type 3.0 Manual MY2001 in Pacific Blue with Cashmere Leather Sport Seats, Sunroof, Melbourne Alloys, Premium Sound plus some other stuff ... 51k miles.
    XKR 5.0 Speed Pack MY2011 in Polaris White with Ivory/Charcoal Leather, Nevis Alloys and R-Performance Interior plus some other stuff ... 14k miles.
    FIAT Coupe MY1997 in Steel Grey with Tan Leather ... 51k miles.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Barney100golf View Post
    Lets call them a Rolls royce engine
    Don't go there - selling RR & Bentley were crimes against humanity.

Can you imagine the German govt allowing the sale of Merc/BMW/Porsche, the French wouldn't sell their major car companies either as they are effectively state owned.....

10. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    So you won't be buying a new Aston Martin either then?

http://www.executivestyle.com.au/ben...n-martin-2qoba
    I'll just check the piggy bank, no not looking good.

Aren't the AM V12's BMW engines ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast