Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sketchy Jaguar X-Type MOT History?

Post Thanks / Like

Sketchy Jaguar X-Type MOT History?

Hello,
    I'm looking to purchase my first jag!
    I've found quite a few old dogs but I'm shortly going to see a 2.2D Sport Estate on 06 plate. All the bells and whistles etc.
    Anyway, I've done the MOT check and my first slight concern was it's first ever MOT at 3 years old was clocked at only 3,500 miles? Not overly concerned about this.

The most recent MOT's are however a worry...
    In April it failed due to:
    Reason(s) for failure
    offside rear Braking system leaking (3.6.A.1)
    offside Front position lamp(s) not working (1.1.A.3b)
    nearside rear Subframe mounting prescribed area is excessively corroded outter sill (2.4.A.3)
    offside rear Subframe mounting prescribed area is excessively corroded outter sill (2.4.A.3)
    offside Front wheel bearing rough when rotated (2.5.A.2)
    nearside rear Seat belt anchorage prescribed area is excessively corroded outter sill (5.2.6)
    offside rear Seat belt anchorage prescribed area is excessively corroded outter sill (5.2.6)
    Advisory notice item(s)
    nearside front brake disc worn, pitted or scored, but not seriously weakened (3.5.1i)
    offside front brake disc worn, pitted or scored, but not seriously weakened (3.5.1i)
    steel wheels fitted at time of test

Quite a scary list!!!
    This car was retested in June and sailed through and now up for sale in November having only covered 500 miles since...?

Am I being silly to still consider this vehicle or seeing as it's past the MOT with flying colours everything was rectified?

Any and all feedback appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ryan,I am at risk of incurring everyones wrath here but if I was you,I would forget about it and get yourself an early X350,
    whats a couple of thousand more on finance over three years? not a lot.
    Its a better car and would give you just as good mpg, theres a beautiful one at a dealer on Ebay for around £5000 with 70,000 miles,
    you just can't fail with it chap,and you will feel like a king riding around in it.
    X Types have little value and for a first time Jaguar buy,you won't do any better than take my advice.
    I am off to get some protective clothing now I have nailed my colours to the mast

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello, thanks for swift response bud. I do very much love the X350 however I do need an Estate.

I've arranged to see this one in an hour or so, it's not far away - I'll just have to go over it thoroughly.

If it ain't the one then so be it - surely there must be a good X-Type Estate out there? 🤔

Post Thanks / Like
    Well that first MOT is always difficult to prove as theoretically it could have done any mileage in the previous three years,
    my feeling is that if the 3500 miles which equates to a thousand miles a year happened under only one owner,then that
    is more believable than it happening under two or three.I would be looking at the service history during that first three
    years in order to back up the low mileage,paying attention to the dates.
    You don't say how many previous owners and you don't say the total mileage now.
    I wouldn't take the current MOT as a guarantee of anything and the corrosion would be for me a worry,I don't know how
    much they are asking price wise and is it a private sale or a Dealer.
    I would have put a request for "anyone selling" on the X Type section on this Forum.

Post Thanks / Like
    Personally with that much corrosion I wouldn't go near it. The sills will be hidden if it has the plastic over-sills fitted, which most do, and you can only get a good look by being under the car. You could figure £500+ per side for this to be fixed by a garage, let alone everything else that you state. Discs are cheap and easy to do if you can DIY. You don't say how much the purchase price is, but bear in mind you could be looking at £1k+ just on sills, and thats woithout knowing what the metal is like beyond the sills.
    In July 2017 I'm cycling 100 miles in the Prudential Ride London-Surrey 100 to raise money for the Sue Ryder charity. Please donate whatever you can afford. It is all extremely appreciated and it goes to help people with many different terminal illnesses nearing their end of life, to make them more comfortable. Thank you.
    http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/GoDazGo
    http://www.jaguarforum.com/showthread.php?t=94689

Post Thanks / Like
    I hope the OP hasn't gone flying in with his wallet opened,he left it a bit late to take onboard any advice when he
    said he was going to view in an hour.

Post Thanks / Like
    +1
    Bodywork repairs are comparatively expensive and often lead to further premature corrosion as compared to sound factory preparation and paint. I would also look for a less rusty one.

Wear items are part and parcel of used cars, that is why they are cheap. Get one which is in completely good order and that is a bonus.
    S-Type 3.0 Manual MY2001 in Pacific Blue with Cashmere Leather Sport Seats, Sunroof, Melbourne Alloys, Premium Sound plus some other stuff ... 51k miles.
    XKR 5.0 Speed Pack MY2011 in Polaris White with Ivory/Charcoal Leather, Nevis Alloys and R-Performance Interior plus some other stuff ... 14k miles.
    FIAT Coupe MY1997 in Steel Grey with Tan Leather ... 51k miles.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the advice guys.

It's got 109,000 on, I'm still with the car now.
    6 previous owners - service history and mileage all adds up.

Price was 2k
    We originally agreed at £1600
    I've said cus of previous MOT I'm a bit worried so he's agreed £1400.

I haven't done the deal yet - still looking around, like you guys said though some of this is impossible to see without ramp!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    has the chain or belt been replaced????? 6 owners my advice is to walk

Post Thanks / Like
    Also the sat nav and radio ain't working, require a pin. Only £15-20 to obtain but I knocked him down another £50 for it.

Quite a few black marks here, but it's still the nicest and lowest mileage I've seen 😖

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast