Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie and future owner S-Type 4.2 MY2003

Post Thanks / Like

Newbie and future owner S-Type 4.2 MY2003

Hi all,

I'm about to buy a used S-Type 4.2 MY2003, which has a substantial amount of kms (over 160.000 kms, so around 100k miles). VIN is SAJAA01RX3HM87357.

I'm new to Jaguar, come from a Saab history, so sorry for asking naive questions.

Are there some car features to monitor specifically? I know that the automatic transmission oil need to be changed, even if the car manufacturer don't advice to do it.
    Are there some weak points to check out? I already read some post for XJ/XJR V8 which had nikasil and timing chain tensioner problems before 2002. Same kind
    of weaknesses ?

Also, for Saab (to refer to something I know); you can easily get the WIS (Workshop manual software) and the EPC (Parts catalogue software). Is it the same
    for Jaguar?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Post Thanks / Like
    The 4.2 litre engine does not have the problems of the previous 4 litre and is a reliable unit.

Where S-types (and also cars like my X350) have issues is with the suspension components that do not seem to last long. In particular the various bushes on the front and rear lower wishbones wear out earlier than one would expect. Oncwe these were eye-wateringly expensive, but nowadays, with internet suppliers keen for business, the parts are now merely a bit expensive. Best thing to do is have a look at the S-type forum to see what owners have trouble with. Generally speaking though, the petrol S-types are reliable cars.

3. Thanks vicarius31 thanked for this post
    Barney100golf
    you can download a PDf workshop manual from my signature plus other stuff like user manuals Nav manuals and phone manuals enjoy the car

5. Thanks vicarius31 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi all,

Thanks a lot for your answers guys. I called the dealer, it seems the tranny oil change has been done, and the suspension too.
    I don't know for ignition coils which are supposed to be changed around 60.000 miles right ?

I'm just worried to buy such high mileage car, since lots of expensive parts could break...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by vicarius31 View Post
    I'm just worried to buy such high mileage car, since lots of expensive parts could break...
    That is why high-mileage, complex cars are so cheap used You may be lucky and it carries on running well for years or you may have to start replacing worn parts. Try to develop a picture of why the previous owner sold it. if it was because of a load of faults, then it is probably a bad choice.

Coils don't need changing unless they fail. The plugs do at about 70k miles so should have been done at least once. If the car drives straight, handles and brakes well and the gearbox and engine are smooth, then look for the common faults like:

- rusty sills (under the plastic covers)
    - leaky header tank
    - failed heater distributor valve
    - window winders not working smoothly
    - dropped headlights due to failed adjusters
    - door and boot locks
    - signs of water in the boot
    - parking sensor
    - anything else I have missed???

If these all check out, then check the rest of the electrical stuff like seat motors, sunroof, etc. Just like any other car, really Good luck and hope you find a good one.
    S-Type 3.0 Manual MY2001 in Pacific Blue with Cashmere Leather Sport Seats, Sunroof, Melbourne Alloys, Premium Sound plus some other stuff ... 55k miles.
    XKR 5.0 Speed Pack MY2011 in Polaris White with Ivory/Charcoal Leather, Nevis Alloys and R-Performance Interior plus some other stuff ... 16k miles.
    FIAT Coupe MY1997 in Steel Grey with Tan Leather ... 55k miles.

Post Thanks / Like
    Make sure the battery is in good condition, or it could cause all sorts of strange seemingly unrelated errors to occur.
    2005 Jaguar S-Type R in Ebony Black

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi guys,

Thant's a lot for your comments. I'll go and see it soon, I'll keep you posted.

But I'm a little bit reluctant because it's a bit expensive compared to same model sold by other dealers ( ~10.000 € for 100k Miles).
    It'll depend on full traceability and crystal clear history.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by vicarius31 View Post
    But I'm a little bit reluctant because it's a bit expensive compared to same model sold by other dealers ( ~10.000 € for 100k Miles).
    In Germany, it should be worth about 8000€ actual dealer sell price (might be advertised for a bit more). Is the market very different at home?

From ETIS, the car spec looks fairly basic too:

Minor Features

Marketing Level 1
    With Electronic Stability Control
    With Heated Windscreen
    With Console Cup Holder
    Fixed Foot Pedals
    Front Floor Carpet Mats
    Rear Floor Carpet Mats
    With Electrochromic R/View Mirror
    4 Door Saloon
    Dual Power/Heat/Mem Electrochromic
    Less Ski Bag Provision
    With LH Electric Lumbar Support
    With RH Electric Lumbar Support
    With Split Fold-Down Rear Seat
    With Drivers Heated Seat
    With Heated Passenger Seat
    With Driver 8 Way Pwr.Seat Adjuster
    With Pass 6 Way Power Seat Adjuster
    With Programmable Driver Seat
    433 MHZ Door Lock Frequency
    With Automatic Windscreen Wiper
    With Headlamp Washer
    Spare Wheel - 18" Aluminium
    7.5 X 17" Cast Alloy Wheel
    With Standard Suspension
    4.2L Damb NA V8 Gas AJV8-Jag
    For Unleaded Fuel
    Fuel Tank Filler Neck - Unleaded
    Steering Wheel - Wood/Leather
    With Speed Control
    With Interior Scanning Alarm
    With EAO Radio Frequency
    Single Slot CD Player
    With Halogen Headlamp
    With Front Fog Lamps
    With Manual Headlamp Levelling
    6 Speed Auto ZF 6HP26 Steptronic
    Jaguar X200
    Series 30

You are probably very right in believing that the price is too high:

http://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/de...7&pageNumber=1

http://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/de...er=1&fnai=next
    S-Type 3.0 Manual MY2001 in Pacific Blue with Cashmere Leather Sport Seats, Sunroof, Melbourne Alloys, Premium Sound plus some other stuff ... 55k miles.
    XKR 5.0 Speed Pack MY2011 in Polaris White with Ivory/Charcoal Leather, Nevis Alloys and R-Performance Interior plus some other stuff ... 16k miles.
    FIAT Coupe MY1997 in Steel Grey with Tan Leather ... 55k miles.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi all,

I drove the car this afternoon. Nice and smooth. Tranny torque converter changed, oil changed, full history available in Jaguar garage in France. Not sure about suspension,
    but something akin to suspension triangles changed. Recently, a throttle body part was changed, but I can't be sure of what's for: a kind of sensor plugged on it.

.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9eae18737d9756a48b07340633b5654c1dc2578c.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	161.8 KB 
ID:	20759

The dealer is ready to lower the price down to 9500 €. The guy had a lot of Jags, he currently owns on old XJR X308.

Referring to the workshop, I have quite a lot of metric tools. Do I need to buy imperial equivalent or can I get by ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 9eae18737d9756a48b07340633b5654c1dc2578c.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    I suspect that "suspension triangles" is another description for the wishbones. There are two per wheel, the front lower is built up from a straight arm and a curved arm. The others are one piece.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast