Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Light stalk

Post Thanks / Like
    I tried replacing my indicator stalk yesterday, but couldn't for the life of me figure out how to remove the top part of the steering column, after first unscrewing the bottom half. The top was just stuck so much, I feared I might break something.
    I'm sure it can't be as difficult as I'm making out.. how did everyone else go about taking it off?
    55 Jaguar Racing Green X-Type Sport 2.0D | 04 Midnight Black XJ 3.5 SE

Post Thanks / Like
    Top part can stay.

Just gently push it upwards a tiny bit, just enough to get your finger inside to release the top clip of the stalk.

Practice to trigger clips with new stalk first.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Partick the Cat View Post
    x-dave

I don't suppose you'd know if they ever made versions of the lighting stalk, and the corresponding wiper stalk, that fitted the steering column the other way around, ie the lighting/indicator stalk on the right, and the wiper stalk on the left. All the cars that I've had bar one (a Marina - boring !), and including my current other car a Hyundai Getz, had the indicators on the right and I get incredibly confused between the Getz and the XJ and often find myself indicating with the wipers, or flashing the washer.

Dava aka Partick
    Wiper stalk on the left, and indicator on the right, is the correct layout for RHD vehicles, so that one can indicate, and change gear simultaneously. Unfortunately, the British motor industry abandoned this in the late 1970s, when car buyers were grateful for whatever crumbs the manufacturers deigned to offer. The Japs kept the correct layout for another fifteen years or so, and now all of us driving on the proper side of the road have to poke up with the colonial layout.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by andiandphil View Post
    Wiper stalk on the left, and indicator on the right, is the correct layout for RHD vehicles, so that one can indicate, and change gear simultaneously. Unfortunately, the British motor industry abandoned this in the late 1970s, when car buyers were grateful for whatever crumbs the manufacturers deigned to offer. The Japs kept the correct layout for another fifteen years or so, and now all of us driving on the proper side of the road have to poke up with the colonial layout.
    its simple economics really - from a manufacturer point-of-view, the switch pack is designed with the majority of sales in mind. For something like XJ, the vast majority are left-hand-drive, hence us in correct-hand-drive territories having to put up with inboard indicator stalk.

Post Thanks / Like
    So in a nutshell, the part number is the vital bit. The revision letter is purely that and it doesn't matter which model or whether it is left or right hand drive as long as the part number is correct?

I may be putting that to the test.
    2004 Jaguar X350 XJ8 4.2SE Pacific Blue

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybercontroller View Post
    So in a nutshell, the part number is the vital bit. The revision letter is purely that and it doesn't matter which model or whether it is left or right hand drive as long as the part number is correct?

I may be putting that to the test.
    To be fair, I was told something very similar when searching for the airbag cassette recently.
    Many numbers are fine to use and the later suffix is purely revision.

It's more a physical match that counts - surprisingly common sense if you ask me.

Phil.
    Phil Dean.
    2005 V6 3.0 Pacific Blue / Dove Grey.
    Re-named 'Christine'.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gegan View Post
    I tried replacing my indicator stalk yesterday, but couldn't for the life of me figure out how to remove the top part of the steering column, after first unscrewing the bottom half. The top was just stuck so much, I feared I might break something.
    I'm sure it can't be as difficult as I'm making out.. how did everyone else go about taking it off?
    It's not difficult, just fiddly.

Remove the lower cowling - 2 screws.
    Inside the upper cowling, accessible now via the underside are three screws.
    Undo the three and the upper cowling lifts off.

Phil.
    Phil Dean.
    2005 V6 3.0 Pacific Blue / Dove Grey.
    Re-named 'Christine'.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybercontroller View Post
    I wouldn't necessarily say that - the first revision (the first in the pair) would signify a major change, which might not be the same fit/form/function.

The second is a minor change, which should

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12