Page 74 of 74 FirstFirst ... 24647071727374

Thread: Android upgrade to Jaguar Touchscreen for XJ X350/X358, S-Type and X-Type - HOWTO

Post Thanks / Like
    I reflashed my Amazon Prime RTD board. Rovatool 2.0 wouldn't work but the latest Rovatool 2.1 does.
    Then I plugged in the 800cd/m2 screen.
    It works but the board is only putting 8V onto the backlight, and, the entire board including backlight and LCD is only drawing 225mA, so there is no way that this is driving the screen at 800cd/m2.

Next job to do then: disconnect the backlight from the RTD board and drive it through a suitable resistor.

The free sample is definitely water marked, so there is no point in anyone asking them for another sample. If this turns out to be good then we will need to do a group buy and pay for a batch either from Kingtech or someone else.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the update Philip. The current draw sounds about right as the LED driver on the RTD board is a constant current driver set presumably to the 200mA of the 'normal' LCD panel backlights. The datasheet of that IC does refer to a 400mA max current so I wonder whether the current sense resistor can be changed to increase the current to the LEDs. Although saying that, I didn't have a lot of success driving it with PWM anyway so maybe a separate backlight supply is a better idea.

On a different note I have found some differences with the CD player used in the S-type (and possibly later model X350/X358 but I haven't come across any yet), which means that the pins on the board for analogue audio are not the same, and the pin we used to sense whether the CD is playing or not just seems to be a 'CD inserted' flag on these models. So I've been working on a different (more complex) method to sense the CD is playing which appears to work on the X350 version and S-type version I have here.
    The advantage of this method though is that it also detects when the CD goes into pause state, which happens when the telephone system receives or makes a call - this means we can program it to pause the audio playing from the Odroid when the phone is in use, and unpause when it's finished. Still got a lot of testing to do but i'll incorporate this into a new sketch in due course, and the wiring diagram will be updated.

Ben
    2004 XJ X350 Super V8 LWB - Custom 19" alloys, 4 zone climate control, rear business trays

Android upgrade to Jaguar Touchscreen for XJ X350/X358, S-Type and X-Type - HOWTO

Post Thanks / Like

Audio multiplexer in CD player

Universal audio multiplexer
    for Odroid to OEM Jaguar CD player

This multiplexer is to be installed into the CD player. You don't need to bring out and back the signals. It need the left and right audio from the DAC and/or the S/PDIF from the Odroid with the switching command from the Arduino.

For better comprehension, there is the CD player which include the main board and the CD drive which has his own board. On the main board we find the SAA7706H. The CD drive board house the electronics to read the CD.

This multiplexer was only for the audio but with only Three more wire we can manage the digital signal too and don't need to inquire which one is used.

The basic schematic came from this web page :

http://www.geofex.com/article_folders/cd4053/cd4053.htm.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Analog Switching with CD4053.gif 
Views:	40 
Size:	11.0 KB 
ID:	24020

All the OEM signals are taken from the CD drive as the power.

The first SPTD is for the digital signals and the two others are for the left and right audio.

Name:	Multiplexer CD.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	57.0 KB 
ID:	24021

The first SPTD don't need the capacitors and the resistors. The CD4053 have a gain of 1 so there is no problem with the level of the signals send to the SAA7706H.

Take care to connect the Odroid signals to the same side of the SPTD (X1, Y1 and Z1) and the CD drive signals to the other side (X0, Y0 and Z0).
    A pulldown resistor on the command line of the switches let you take out the Odroid and still use the CD player.

I didn't mess with the biasing of the inputs and outputs with the two resistors and the 47F capacitor but used a LM386 wich is automatically biased to half the power voltage.
    See this page where i stole the idea : http://www.geofex.com/circuits/biasnet.htm.

All the parts are easily found and not expensive. This isn't the case of the relay small enough i used previously.
    As i'll instal the board in the CD player i keep it small so you'll need to sold a lot of wires.

I have installed a connector so i can remove the CD drive from the CD player easily. If you install this permanently you can solder the wires before and after the flat ribbon from the CD drive board to the main board. By using some electrical tape you isolate the contacts which transport the various signals.

On the main board side you have :
    CB602 4 Left audio to SAA7706h
    5 Right audio to SAA7706H
    11 GND
    20 +5V

The tape is applied on the main board side of the ribbon.
    CB806 4 Digital to SAA7706H
    20 Rigth audio to SAA7706H
    22 Left audio to SAA7706H

Name:	Main board soldering points.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	289.7 KB 
ID:	24022

You have a secondary spot to solder the wire for the digital output signal. Don't solder after the capacitor.

Name:	Secondary main board soldering point.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	281.5 KB 
ID:	24023

By using tape you don't have to cut any tracks on the CD drive board and can use any soldering point for each signal as input for the multiplexer.

On the upper side of the board you find the soldering points for the outputs of the multiplexer.

Name:	CD drive board recto.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	715.0 KB 
ID:	24024

CD drive board recto

On the lower side you find the inputs of the multiplexer.

Name:	CD drive board verso.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	577.3 KB 
ID:	24025

CD drive board verso

The SPDT X,X0 and X1 is for the digital signal to minimize the wiring over the CD4053.
    The other two SPDT of CD4053 are for the audio signals.
    I've used tantale capacitor which are smaller than electrochemical capacitor. They are polarised too so be carefull not to reverse the polarity when soldering them.

Name:	Multiplexer implantation.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	57.8 KB 
ID:	24026

This is a view above the board with the tracks visible as by transparency.
    GND is connected to the pin 8 of the CD4053 near the 10 KOhm resistor. The letters are the wiring. A connect to A, B connect to B, etc...

Name:	Multiplexer Board final.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	74.4 KB 
ID:	24027

This board may be inserted in the CD player on the side of the CD drive or under it. Do not forget to protect tracks to avoid the short circuits.There isn't a lot of space in there.

If you install it on the side of the CD drive you'll have to insert a space between the LM386 and the 2,2F capacitors as there is a big capacitor in the way on the main board .
    I've realised it was very complex to solder all this wires so i made a second setting-up with only two wires to sold.
    This is the correct picture.

Name:	Multiplexer implantation bis.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	56.3 KB 
ID:	24042

Nicer isn't it ?

Name:	Multiplexer v2 low res.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	235.5 KB 
ID:	24047
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Multiplexer implantation bis.jpg   Multiplexer implantation bis.jpg   Multiplexer implantation bis.jpg  
    Last edited by Henri57; 17-07-17 at 19:45.
    X350 Executive 2004 3.5l GPS added rear sunblind, front parking sensors, 16 way seats

4. Thanks L_Vader, Alec Escolme, C16RKC thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I suspect I've been bittenby "the bug" but without the necessary knowledge will end up relying on the good people here.

Areas of confusion at the moment:

Does it matter which Ordino I buy?
    Does it matter which Arduino I buy?
    I get that the screens will need different drivers but I'm concerned I'll buy a screen, driver board and touchscreen that aren't compatible. Is there a definitive up to date list that spells out to numpties like me the latest kit list and options?

I can see several lost nights in the garage coming up. Thankfully I mainly commute on a bike.

Post Thanks / Like
    The system is based on the Arduino Leonardo and Odroid C2.

As for lcd panels, touchscreen and controller then you have a choice of resistive or capacitive touchscreens. I've got capacitive with a 1024x600 lcd panel and controller from the Ukrainian guy mentioned earlier in this thread.

It would seem that most folk are going resistive with 800x400 but it's a personal choice.

As you can see there's a load of discussion going on at the moment about which lcd panel re the luminescence of the backlight so might be worth holding on a while to decide which is the best?

Do make sure you have read ALL the posts in the thread however

Cheers .... Jon

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Henpecked955 View Post
    I suspect I've been bittenby "the bug" but without the necessary knowledge will end up relying on the good people here.
    In this case stay the more mainstream possible.
    X350 Executive 2004 3.5l GPS added rear sunblind, front parking sensors, 16 way seats

Post Thanks / Like
    In my opinion the single most difficult part of this project is soldering two wires onto the i2c bus of the RTD board.

I would say buy just an RTD board first, and see if you can reflash it and solder on those wires.

I found it quite depressing to spend all the time and money and them be unable to solder those two wires, so my advise is to do that first before making a big investment in other parts.

Post Thanks / Like
    i second that if your not experienced in soldering i would buy 3 cheap boards they all will work you don't need to bother with the saintsmart boards which are expensive the cheap ones work the same

Page 74 of 74 FirstFirst ... 24647071727374