Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 212728293031

Thread: Diesel Gate

Post Thanks / Like
    It appears, from reading the papers, that almost anything we eat is bad for us; but not half as bad as not eating!
    Driving, anything, is bad for the environment but staying in one place would mean starvation.
    Cleanliness is good, except that it means children don't develop immunity.
    We are, it seems, more than happy to pay to be entertained but not to be educated, nursed, policed or cleaned.
    Buying a replacement is often cheaper than fixing what we have.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Jim_S-V6_2004 it looks to me like we can evade the quagmire by not buying a new car. Imagine no one bought a new car for the next year.

It looks like a nice day today. I'm going to visit a friend this morning by cruising cross country in my more than ample Jaguar x type diesel.

They're not going to make me feel bad about that. I planted a tree in '73 to offset all of this.
    Jaguar x-Type 2.2D S Saloon 2006 153k miles. Black. Six speed manual gears.
    No modifications. Owned from 128K miles.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Boy Slim View Post
    Agree. When we was nippers, we used to play dirty, get dirty and be exposed to all sorts of bugs etc. We developed healthy immune systems and ate fresh food bought each day as no one had a fridge (just a slab of marble in the larder for milk etc) and asthma was almost unknown. Fast forward into today's processed fast food life and asthma is so common it's accepted as normal.

Regarding the slabs, I am suffering from wifeitis. Having made the decision it needs to be done, in her mind it is and now she is looking at other "minor" projects. For heavens sake, I'm nearly 70 and still expected to lift nearly one cwt of concrete at a time, shovel 2 tons of sharps sand, compact it, level it and wet it down all before breakfast.

I suppose one day there will be rest but not this week.

Tony
    Hard work can be good for you too I recon. Gets the blood round. Only a problem if there is no end in sight.

I have a desk job but have laboured too in the past. I've been decorating for a week and really enjoyed the sweat aches and pains. Really feel alive. If I don't, I start feeling caged.

Enjoy the fresh air before there is none left.
    Jaguar x-Type 2.2D S Saloon 2006 153k miles. Black. Six speed manual gears.
    No modifications. Owned from 128K miles.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jag-Black View Post
    Hey Jim_S-V6_2004 it looks to me like we can evade the quagmire by not buying a new car. Imagine no one bought a new car for the next year.

It looks like a nice day today. I'm going to visit a friend this morning by cruising cross country in my more than ample Jaguar x type diesel.

They're not going to make me feel bad about that. I planted a tree in '73 to offset all of this.
    Too right J-B.

We need to remind them we ain't driving petrol cars causing more pollution!

Post Thanks / Like
    This has got to be the best thread I've seen on the forum!
    As always keep burning the Diesel...!
    XF Sportbrake 2.2 Portfolio

Previously had
    XF Premium Luxury 3.0 2013
    XF Premium Luxury 2.7 2008
    S Type 2.7 Diesel Sport 2005
    X Type 2.5 V6 AWD Estate 2004
    S Type 3.0 SE V6 petrol 1999

also have Yamaha FJR1300

Post Thanks / Like
    Buuuurrn, baby, Buuuuurrrrrrn!! Heheheh

Post Thanks / Like
    We Huff & Puff but the idiots in Westminster Know what to do , 1st listen to the lobbyist ,2nd don't listen to your constituents , 3rd Find second ,third job elsewhere , 4th vote as your party tells you or suffer the consequences .

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_S-V6_2004 View Post
    Too right J-B.

We need to remind them we ain't driving petrol cars causing more pollution!
    I'm driving a petrol, but I also 'Planted some more in 74'
    Last edited by V8Steve; 21-03-17 at 17:34.
    2002.5 4.2 SE 12th year of ownership. Full Jaguar Paint, Navigation, Music Player, Steering Wheel & Seat that move by themselves,Wheels,Screen,Colour changing Mirrors, Bright Lights,Opening & Closing Doors & Windows. Bluetooth Phone & Voice. Beeps at the back. Now on second with additional TV , warm seats & windscreen, first one died at 190,000.

Post Thanks / Like
    I see that yet another report has found Diesel emissions to be well above the Euro 5 and Euro 6 permitted levels. Great work but where is the balance, we could be forgiven for assuming that all petrol engines meet or exceed the requirements but I seriously doubt this. Come on Which, test some petrol engines and let us have the data to make a reasoned judgement on what to buy.

Not that emissions alone are any reason to buy, or not, a vehicle using a particular fuel. Diesel wouldn't be suitable for me but many people would find their daily commute uneconomic if Diesel were removed as an option.

Please, can we have the whole story?

Post Thanks / Like
    That's the other side of the coin. We all know that burning hydrocabons will create particles, it's blatently obvious. But why aren't the "meedja" chasing and publishing the numbers and sizes forPetrolengined vehicles as well? Political reasons?

This country doesn't do unbiased reporting anymore sadly.
    2001 3.0 SE Auto, Satnav, winter pack. Dark Blue, 120,000 and counting, Grace and Pace..
    2004 3.0 Soveriegn Estate. Winter pack. New project. Green.
    2005 Estate X type 2.0 XS in Black. Sold.
    2000 V8 3.2 XJ8. My "Roundtuit" car.
    2005 "AllyCat", 3.0 XJ6.
    VFR800A too for when the suns out.
    Handling tips: If you see the tree before you hit it, that's Understeer: If you only feel the tree as you hit it, that's Oversteer. Close your eyes, it won't hurt honest.

Living the dream.

Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 212728293031