Thread: End of Year Whinge...PC Optical Drives

Post Thanks / Like

End of Year Whinge...PC Optical Drives

Just an end of year whinge about the 5 changes you are allowed to make to the region setting on a PC optical drive. This is covered twice by the drive manufacturer and Microsoft.

Apart from being against WTO rules and despite multiple complaints from various countries and even the EU, nothing has been done.

I hit this hurdle yesterday when transferring (or starting to) my DVD collection to hard drive. I have DVDs from all regions and have hit the magic 5. Yes I know you can alter the firmware and bios but it is hit and miss and I know I can use VLC media player which strips the DRM but what a palarva. I am also using handbrake with a plug in which strips the DRM but not always on first attempt.

Considering that I own these DVDs (all honestly acquired and paid for...honestly guv) why should I be restricted to just 5 changes of region? All of my DVD players are region free so why not the optical drives?

End of year rant over.

Tony

Post Thanks / Like
    Wouldn't it be easier to convert to MP4 and just put them onto a USB drive? Even TV's now have USB ports and with streaming taking over physical media, DVD's have fast become a thing of the past.
    Current Car:
    2017 XE R-Sport 25t 250Ps 18MY.

Previous Cars:
    2000 S-Type 3.0L SE Auto
    2004 X-Type 3.0L AWD SE Auto estate.
    2007 XK x150 4.2L Coupe

Resident Super Moderator.
    V6 X-Type Oil Sump Replacement Guide

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian D View Post
    Wouldn't it be easier to convert to MP4 and just put them onto a USB drive? Even TV's now have USB ports and with streaming taking over physical media, DVD's have fast become a thing of the past.
    You would think so but it's not that easy. I want to first back them up on my computer hard drive and then transfer them to a wifi portable drive so that I can use my Kindle via miracast onto any TV when travelling.

I have 3 multi region DVD players, none with a USB port. A good DVD ripper can rip a 2 hour DVD in about 20 minutes. The problem comes with the regional codes. I can reset the DVD drive counter, play around with the registry but there is also the player app software. VLC is meant to be a region stripping player but it does not work on my US DVDs.

The clever Chinese have made all of my DVDs from Singapore, Hong Kong, Malaysia and China region O which means there is no DRM to strip out.

I have just purchased a top of the range DVD ripper but guess what, it does not work with US DVDs (region 1) despite claiming to.

I did not want to start thinking in retirement but it looks like I will have to figure this out myself as tech support on these software companies is useless.

hey ho,

Tony

Post Thanks / Like
    Download and install a piece of software called Passkey Lite, choose the free version, this will then by pass the region check on any DVD you want to watch.

Or you can buy region free external DVD drives on the internet.
    Dave

2003.50MY Facelift Midnight Black XJ8 3.5 V8, Electrochromic Rear View Mirror & Electrochromic Folding Wing Mirrors, Heated Dove Grey Leather Memory Seats with 16 Way Adjustment, ARTS Active Headrests, Factory Sat Nav, Factory Bi-Xenons, CATS Air Suspension. Bluetooth & Voice control now retrofitted and working. Currently about to start the rear entertainment retrofit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Region free internal optical drives are not available and region free external DVD drives are as rare as hens teeth,

As this region business was only introduced in the early 2000s, I am looking in my garage next week to see if I can dig up an old drive.

Ripping software that claims to remove the region code is very hit and miss. I have tried over half a dozen including passkey and none of them work.

I have a full version of Aimersoft DVD Ripper which comes top of most revues but again does not rip region 1 DVDs. I am awaiting their tech support input on this.

Its all a con to get us to but multiple DVDs if we use computers. Even though it's against WTO rules for some reason they all get away with it.

I can successfully reset the DVD drive counter, had a bit of success with the reg files but even VLC will not open region 1 DVDs. As I said, next stop is an old drive that does not have any region issues and a constant reset of the reg files. They seem to reset after a single use.

Keeps me off the streets.

Tony

Post Thanks / Like
    I've used passkey for years without any problems and there is software out there that let's you flash your optical drives with pirated firmware to disable the region setting feature.

But by far the easiest way is to buy several DVD drives for £9.99 set them up for the different regions you need and attach them to your pc via a USB hub.
    Dave

2003.50MY Facelift Midnight Black XJ8 3.5 V8, Electrochromic Rear View Mirror & Electrochromic Folding Wing Mirrors, Heated Dove Grey Leather Memory Seats with 16 Way Adjustment, ARTS Active Headrests, Factory Sat Nav, Factory Bi-Xenons, CATS Air Suspension. Bluetooth & Voice control now retrofitted and working. Currently about to start the rear entertainment retrofit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking at a region free external USB drive so will see if this works.

Thanks (but not to Microsoft or drive manufacturers)

Tony

Post Thanks / Like
    Amazing, old technology vs new.

i dug out an old DVD drive from another Dell computer rusting away in the garage. Despite being pre 2000, it has no region codes loaded on it and although a bit slow. is now being used to rip my region 3 dvd's.

Progress is not always better.

Tony

9. Likes Ian D liked this post