Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What exactly is Remote Keyless Entry?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

What exactly is Remote Keyless Entry?

Hi all,

What exactly is Remote Keyless Entry? Is it different from Remote Keyless Access?
    I understand it as having a remote key and not need to touch it or pull it out of your pocket to unlock the door. Is it not? I looked up for all trims of F-Type vehicles, and regardless of which trims, from the very basic to the most expensive ones, they all say that the cars are equipped with Remote Keyless Entry. So, every F-type regardless of trims and options all can unlock the door without pulling the remote key out?

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, just walk up to the door with the remote in your pocket, or within about 2 feet, and press the little button on the door handle.
    Hey Presto, the car unlocks and the door handles spring out.
    2014 F-Type S coupe, Lunar Grey, red seats and nearly all the options.
    The dearly departed - 2010 XFS and 2010 XFR.

3. Likes Ian D liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you OzJagXFS for a quick reply! However, my F type basic trim does not do that. Its door knob does not have a button to press. From the dealer description, it seems like it does but it does not. Dealer tells me that mine is "Remote Keyless Entry" and it does not. He says, it has to be "Remote Keyless Access" in order to do it. However, there is no "Remote Keyless Access" phrase anywhere for any trims of F-Types. I don't understand...
    Where should I go with this?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by met061996 View Post
    Thank you OzJagXFS for a quick reply! However, my F type basic trim does not do that. Its door knob does not have a button to press. From the dealer description, it seems like it does but it does not. Dealer tells me that mine is "Remote Keyless Entry" and it does not. He says, it has to be "Remote Keyless Access" in order to do it. However, there is no "Remote Keyless Access" phrase anywhere for any trims of F-Types. I don't understand...
    Where should I go with this?
    Makes sense, I thought Remote Keyless Access was standard on all F-Types but obviously not.
    I think what Remote Keyless Entry on yours means is simply that you don't have a "key" as such, instead you have a fob (and a start button), like all F-Types, so it's "keyless", but you still have to use the button on the fob to unlock the car.
    It's all a matter of some pretty obscure pedantics used by JLR, no wonder you are confused!

Edit - I just checked my Owner's Manual, and as you say it never mentions Remote Keyless Access, it only ever mentions or talks about Remote Keyless Entry. Also, every diagram it shows of the outer door handle shows the little button, and it never mentions the possibility of a door handle without that button. Are you 100% sure your door handles don't have that little button?
    Last edited by OzJagXFS; 03-01-17 at 02:23.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am afraid so that mine does not have the little button. I bought this car thinking that it has such function, and it is such misleading. By comparing different trims, no where the term "Access" is mentioned and every vehicle is mentioned with the term "entry". It is only natural and obvious that I expect mine would come with such function. I should complain to the dealer, but I am afraid that the dealer will do nothing about this.

Will keep you posted after I contact the dealer on this.

Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like
    What model year is yours?
    Mine is MY2015, maybe on the later model years (2017 or even 2016) the remote keyless entry became optional instead of standard on the base model?

Also, where are you from? There are some weird differences across the different markets, especially the Asian and Middle Eastern markets.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just bought it brand new for 2017 model from California.
    Nowhere in the dealer descriptions for any trims mentions about "Access" vs. "Entry". They all described as having the "Entry" regardless of trims. It is misleading information.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds to me like it may have become optional on the 2017MY base model. Jag have been in the habit the last few years of de-speccing each new MY release and then charging extra for options that previously were standard.
    See if you can get a 2017 brochure from the dealer who sold you the car, even better the "specification and prices" booklet, and see if it/they shed any more light.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think I found both the problem and the solution.
    Go to this page: http://www.jaguarusa.com/Images/F%20...m97-145719.pdf
    Then read page 3, Vehicle Access, and the paragraph headed Keyless entry and locking.
    It seems that the method of locking and unlocking is different to what it was pre MY2017, and there are no longer any buttons on the door handles.
    Instead you simply press the front of the door handle (ie where the button used to be) to unlock the car. Makes sense to me as those buttons always seemed a bit superfluous.
    The actual words are "To unlock the vehicle and disarm the alarm, press a door handle recess or trunk release button".
    To me that reads as though there is no door handle button, but I suppose it possibly is meant to be read as "To unlock the vehicle and disarm the alarm, press a door handle recess button or trunk release button".
    Give it try and see what happens.

Post Thanks / Like
    From the F-Type brochure online, there was a charts of all features between each different trims. There it indicates that F-Type Base does not have the Remote Keyless Entry. Period.... So, it is that my dealer advertised it incorrectly and sold me a car that does not come with such feature while they advertised to have one. Another thing I found out from the brochure is that mine (the base model) does not come with heated side door mirrors (and it does not have them) but the dealer advertised to have them.

Now, I guess I would have a long conversation with my dealer.

Thank you for helping all the way!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast