Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The One Post Thread ??

Post Thanks / Like

The One Post Thread ??

I've been pretty quiet over the past couple of weeks. Yes - with Christmas and The New Year and lots of activity with family and friends, there's not been as much time as usual for browsing and contributing on the forum, but I have also resisted the temptation to add my comments to some threads which, in my sincere opinion, have gone beyond the point of "argument" into abuse and insult.
    Apart from the "car stuff" from which many of us gain valuable knowledge and benefit from the experience of others (and - if appropriate - we can help others in return), there's the sort-of "saloon-bar" area where it is totally appropriate to discuss all those other things which we feel strongly about. I enjoy that, and I would be disappointed if those parts of the forum were to disappear.
    So - just a small request from me. I think we all think that the language filters which are in place are probably a bit too extreme. Rather than complain about them, or try to find ways of getting round them like naughty schoolboys - why don't we just accept that for whatever reasons - they are there and if we want to be members of the club, we agree to the rules ? If the software substitutes a few asterisks for a word that's pretty innocuous and harmless - so what ? Nobody died !!
    I would not want to be a moderator on this, or any other forum. It is a pretty thankless task.
    Do you think our collective New Year's resolution might be to work WITH the owners and moderators here, rather than trying to circumvent their authority ?
    Shouldn't be too difficult should it ??
    David.
    XK8 Convertible 4.0 - 1997. Aerial switch, boot lid switch, remote key-fob operated hood, & tensioners replaced.

2. Thanks JimC64, Ian D, Ashanti, Neilr thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    David, genuinely what a great post and one I totally agree with

Most of us are of a decent age and as you say, really should know better, none of us are 12 anymore ( otherwise we wouldn't be here ) lol

The filters may be as you say a little on the extreme side, but now set where they're set, so rather than moan / whinge and complain, all the while gleefully trying to find ways around them.........just work with them, it really is NOT the end of the world.
    Please bear in mind this is coming from a Glaswegian who probably swears way more than he should........If I can do it, trust me, anyone can.

Also a massive plus 1 from me on the moderators and Admin of the site. They certainly do a thankless task for no pay or reward, other than the love of the marque / forum etc. God alone knows what this site or many others would be like without them policing them

Funny thing is, there's a lot of good guys here, good knowledge and friendship, also a lot of wasted time and energy on what is clearly a pointless exercise trying to fight against the system.

In short David, I applaud your post and I'm all in as I always have been

Jim
    Last edited by JimC64; 03-01-17 at 13:30.
    MY2008 ( 58 ) XJ X358 2.7 Tdvi Sovereign LWB remapped to 245bhp, Black, Ivory leather interior with black piping, 20" Alloys
    MY2009 ( 58 ) X type 2.2d Sport Premium, Heated seats, Front & Rear park assist, Sat Nav, 18" Proteus alloys, tinted rear windows, Heko wind deflectors

4. Thanks DevonDavid thanked for this post
    Likes Ashanti, Eyeballroy, rchiv liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for a great post there DevonDavid. The swear filter was originally put into place as I was putting in a lot of time editing posts for people who felt like they had to swear, the filter was a great add on for myself as it stopped the majority of this until certain members figured out quite quickly how to circumvent it. Frustrating it certainly was indeed as I ended up having to edit posts again and would then be questioned when I did or picked them up on it.

Hopefully this will now stop and we can move on to be a friendly place as it always has been.

I took on the moderator job to this site as I love the marque and want this place to prosper and help others.

Hopefully everyone can join in and help to do that too!
    Jaguar XK Coupe 4.2 2007 indigo blue with many mods and retrofits.

New car, XE R-Sport 25t 250Ps 18MY coming September!

Previous:
    S-Type 3.0L SE Auto
    X-Type 3.0L SE Auto estate.

Resident Super Moderator.
    V6 X-Type Oil Sump Replacement Guide

6. Thanks JimC64, Ashanti, DevonDavid, YORKSHIREMAN1 thanked for this post
    Likes JimC64, payno, Zero123, Willber G, rchiv and 2 others liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm sorry David what a load of Beep! Beep! Beep! Beep !!!!!
    Great post.
    XE 2.0 Portfolio 2015/16 in Celestial Black and fully loaded
    Previous Jags
    XF Sportbrake 2.2 Portfolio 2014/15
    XF Premium Luxury 3.0 2013
    XF Premium Luxury 2.7 2008
    S Type 2.7 Diesel Sport 2005
    X Type 2.5 V6 AWD Estate 2004
    S Type 3.0 SE V6 petrol 1999

also have Yamaha FJR1300

Post Thanks / Like
    Roy .............. not sure how to take that

In any case, for whatever reason(s), most of the people to whom that was addressed have now moved on. It is somewhat quieter, but somewhat less interesting, for those of us who still drop in here.
    David.
    XK8 Convertible 4.0 - 1997. Aerial switch, boot lid switch, remote key-fob operated hood, & tensioners replaced.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DevonDavid View Post
    Roy .............. not sure how to take that

In any case, for whatever reason(s), most of the people to whom that was addressed have now moved on. It is somewhat quieter, but somewhat less interesting, for those of us who still drop in here.
    David, most of those people didn't move on, they were banned, there were a couple that "moved on" as you say

As to quieter and less interesting?

Yes it's little quieter, or to clarify, there's less noise, less hassle, less arguments, less name calling etc etc.
    The noise and name calling is now happening on another site, even you and a few others here who thought they were friends have been slated and called various names. The forum that had welcomed them is regretting that decision as we speak.

Several existing members there have already left of their own accord. There's also been numerous posts asking for "their thread" to be deleted as it has thousands of posts of daily dribble or nonsense, pages of it that has to be waded through to get to anything with reasonable content........This as stated by their own members.

There's even an "ignore" thread which is dedicated to asking how can a member ignore or not see this particular thread!!

These particular members you mention David have upset the balance there after only a week or so, after annoying several existing members they then resorted to have a big public fight themselves on an open forum for all to see, really spitting the dummy's out......mainly James25 and Montyv8

As for less interesting here?
    Not by my reckoning David, there's plenty of topics ongoing, the general section and playground are still there for all to use for laughs / banter and or craic in general. We may be missing several hundred posts a day, but these were all about general day to day stuff and nothing of any real consequence

There's plenty of social media sites around for things like, "I'm having a bacon roll" or "I'm going for a kip" or "I'm having a beer" "bars open" comments etc etc etc
    Last edited by JimC64; 21-01-17 at 14:05.
    MY2008 ( 58 ) XJ X358 2.7 Tdvi Sovereign LWB remapped to 245bhp, Black, Ivory leather interior with black piping, 20" Alloys
    MY2009 ( 58 ) X type 2.2d Sport Premium, Heated seats, Front & Rear park assist, Sat Nav, 18" Proteus alloys, tinted rear windows, Heko wind deflectors

10. Thanks Neilr thanked for this post
    Likes payno, Ian D, reddiesel, Irish Pappy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sad as I was to see a few of those members either move on or indeed be banned (Big Ed, Barney and Phil) and I miss their contribution,
    I was disappointed that they clearly felt that our community couldn't meet their needs because I don't think their present location will either.
    Last edited by reddiesel; 21-01-17 at 23:39.

12. Thanks JimC64 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    To swear or not to swear that is the question when you hit yourself on the thumb with a hammer ����

14. Likes JimC64 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Minstrel View Post
    To swear or not to swear that is the question when you hit yourself on the thumb with a hammer ����
    "I know I'm a pessimist because my glass is always half empty...even when it's full".

2009 X-Type 2.2D Sovereign - Indigo Blue with Ivory Leather

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by reddiesel View Post
    Sad as I was to see a few of those members either move on or indeed be banned (Big Ed, Barney and Phil) and I miss their contribution,
    I was disappointed that they clearly felt that our community couldn't meet their needs because I don't think their present location will either.
    Yes Red, I guess some contributions will be missed to some degree from certain members. not all bad by any means
    That said, it seems that quite a few had at least several warnings for various offences, circumnavigating the swear filter for fun, wind ups galore, name calling and or baiting to name a few. Even after repeated warnings and then a short ban, the lesson was never learned, poor Ian really had his work cut out for him.

It seems that some think they are outwith the rules or perhaps see themselves as a "rebel" which is hilarious. The really crazy part is that they are somewhere between 50 - 70 years old. Generally they seemed to stay and "play" in the playground literally as if they were 12 years old, which I could never fathom.

The funny part for me is that there were at least 3 or 4 who "followed" almost unquestioningly, the blind leading the blind springs to mind.

I can't see how they for one minute would feel that this forum wouldn't meet their needs, in reality they didn't have a choice as they'd pushed just too far for too long and were told to go, and a few followed on behind.
    The forum they are now on, will meet their "basic" needs for use as a "chat room" but not much else in the short term I believe.
    James25 actually says - "to all,believe me in a few days or by the weekend when the crack banter dries up, afew will miss us their loss that's what was wrong with that forum they did notwant to have any fun, all they wanted to talk about was broken cars"

The above comments made by James25 really just say it all for me!

Their home forum now - It's an embryonic and very young forum, just starting to find its way and some 10 years or so behind this one, quite limited in terms of members, numbers, activity and mostly concerned with only the most modern variants to date, but that will change as they evolve.

I'm sure it will grow and become a fine forum in time, many years down the line. They've already upset more than a few and had their cards marked several times already, suffice to say its home for now.
    I for one genuinely hope it works out for all concerned

Jim

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast