Page 1 of 35 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: The Changing Political Landscape

Post Thanks / Like

The Changing Political Landscape

I was hoping that the Members of the Forum who have an interest in Politics could join together under the above Heading
    to engage in some Debate, Comment, Argument and even some Education from Forum Members perhaps more experienced
    than we are. I called the Thread " The Changing Political Landscape " because we are now in a countdown towards the Triggering
    of Article 52 in March whereupon we serve notice of our intent to leave the EU and commence the withdrawal process.
    Hopefully we can cover the issues as they arise and the Topics I suppose will be numerous.
    Please feel free to join us if you don't normally post and don't be afraid to express any point of view preferably contrary to
    everyone else's should you feel so inclined,it all adds to the vibrancy of the debate.
    Finally it goes without saying that we keep within the Forums rules and also its spirit, we are all decent people and if we err
    then please put your indiscretion correct as soon as possible, we are Jaguar Owners after all.

2. Likes Zero123, Ian D, ducmon, Jim_S-V6_2004 liked this post
    Dislikes ducmon disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    UK's ambassador to the EU has resigned:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-38498839
    "I know I'm a pessimist because my glass is always half empty...even when it's full".

2009 X-Type 2.2D Sovereign - Indigo Blue with Ivory Leather

Post Thanks / Like
    Its being reported tonight on the BBC that the Ford Motor Company has cancelled plans to build a $1.6 bn plant in Mexico
    instead preferring to spend $700million on expanding the Plant at Flat Rock.
    Ford have said that they need to reorganise to use existing facilities more efficiently amongst falling sales of its smaller cars.
    Fords Chief Executive Mark Fields said the decision was a vote of confidence in the Business Enviroment Donald Trump was
    creating,this investment at Flat Rock meanwhile creates an additional 700 jobs building a new range of Electric Cars.
    Well I wonder if this is going to be the first in a long line of jobs returning back to America I bet Theresa May is on the phone
    to Farage as we speak

5. Likes Ian D, frank the triffid liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Trump has tweeted that if cars are brought in from Mexico there will be a 35% tax on the imported cars. this probably influencing Ford's decision.
    Grumpy Old Git
    “When a government is dependent upon bankers for money, they and not the leaders of the government control the situation, since the hand that gives is above the hand that takes. Money has no motherland; financiers are without patriotism and without decency; their sole object is gain.”
    Napoléon Bonaparte

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi all - and a late Happy New Year to all - hope you all enjoy your Jag as much as I do !!

I own a small company ( don`t want to get into details ) and as it`s the turn of the year I`m looking into all kind of different sales statistics at the moment.
    Since the BREXIT decision from June the 23rd my company has increased imports from the UK by 356%. Imports from the EU are down by 221% .
    Partially due to devalueation of the UK Pound - but also building new and more business relations in advance of the day Britain finally says good bye to the EU.
    Not everything, but probably 80% of all goods that are traded in my company could be obtained in the UK in the future. So many small, enthusiastic
    specialst companies in the UK. Made in England / Made in the UK / Proudly made in Britain.
    I`m blessed not being in the EU - lots of things a much .....+++++ . I can sell around the world incl. to Russia and Crimea, my second favorite island after Jersey !!
    Just think of the EU sanctions against Russia - in return the Poles have to scoff their own apples all day long - apple pie in the morning, afternoon and evening.
    The Dutch are plastering their walls with cheese ....... . All because they are told by Brussels/Berlin what to do and what not. Just think of the possibilities out there, outside of the EU !!!!!
    Hoping the UK politicians make the right deal with the EU and NOT just the best they can do, because that won`t be good enough.
    Looking forward to having a great trade agreement with the UK. And let`s see what Trumps up to - only 18days to go. Things are changing, and being
    an optimist, I expect things to be better in future.
    Simon

8. Thanks reddiesel, Jim_S-V6_2004 thanked for this post
    Likes Jim_S-V6_2004 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    A great upbeat Post Simon and that was good to hear.I have always taken the view that I live in the Greatest Country on
    Earth and I firmly believe that we have absolutely nothing to fear from exiting the European Bloc.It absolutely breaks my
    heart when I here Politicians with vested interests and the usual media stooges spreading doom and gloom and predicting
    disaster at every corner.Take the Scots for example, these were the people that built the British Empire with their renowned
    Protestant Work Ethic, a tremendously resourceful intelligent people who are now reduced to little more than a Protest Movement
    when they should be charting the course ahead with the rest of us

Senior Member frank the triffid's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Red,

Like the new thread. I do wonder how long it will stay polite with a full-and-frank exchange of views. I did enjoy reading other's opinions and I offered a few of my own. I will admit, though, to being seriously disappointed with the entrenched animosity and hatred which was occasionally evident. Entering a debate usually means you're open to hearing other viewpoints and possibly, you may just change your own. There are a couple of guys who refuse to countenance that there may be an alternative and they alone know the answer. Sadly, I won't be offering any more inputs on those lines, I don't wish to be insulted any more.

I do have to hold my hand up and admit that very recently I too have had to change one of my views, leading from comments from the Forum and elswehere.

Latterly I've had a huge dislike of George Michael, mostly stemming from his being arrested in connection with a lewd act in Leicester Square toilets some years ago. Yet very recently, because his unreported charity became public, I had to question myself. Why was I not so revulsed by Freddie Mercury, in fact I was a huge fan? Probably because Freddie kept his activities private... maybe. But then... wasn't this double standards on my part, because when Hugh Grant was arrested in California (I think) for being fellated in a car I thought that was hilarious and didn't condemn at all.

Times change, we change, the world changes, nothing is perfect; least of all me.

Good luck,

Frank
    07 Sovereign TDVi & '02 HRV 4x4
    04 S Type SE 2.7
    02 S Type 2.5
    '93 HD Electraglide

Semi Retired, appreciating non-male 'architecture' and mature grape juice.
    Don't CATS just love the sun......

11. Likes JimC64, RBT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by frank the triffid View Post
    Hi Red,

Like the new thread. I do wonder how long it will stay polite with a full-and-frank exchange of views. I did enjoy reading other's opinions and I offered a few of my own. I will admit, though, to being seriously disappointed with the entrenched animosity and hatred which was occasionally evident. Entering a debate usually means you're open to hearing other viewpoints and possibly, you may just change your own. There are a couple of guys who refuse to countenance that there may be an alternative and they alone know the answer. Sadly, I won't be offering any more inputs on those lines, I don't wish to be insulted any more.

I do have to hold my hand up and admit that very recently I too have had to change one of my views, leading from comments from the Forum and elswehere.

Latterly I've had a huge dislike of George Michael, mostly stemming from his being arrested in connection with a lewd act in Leicester Square toilets some years ago. Yet very recently, because his unreported charity became public, I had to question myself. Why was I not so revulsed by Freddie Mercury, in fact I was a huge fan? Probably because Freddie kept his activities private... maybe. But then... wasn't this double standards on my part, because when Hugh Grant was arrested in California (I think) for being fellated in a car I thought that was hilarious and didn't condemn at all.

Times change, we change, the world changes, nothing is perfect; least of all me.

Good luck,

Frank
    I don't want you to take this as a Personal Attack on yourself because it isn't but I think its too easy for members to walk away in
    disgust and call for the banning of members and thread closures and generally take umbrage, perhaps we owe it to each other to
    be more "self moderating" and when someone transgresses we should be saying to them within the thread " I think you have
    exceeded the boundary of what I would call good taste with that comment " I don't believe we do that enough.
    The other thing of course with Political Threads is that they tend to attract people with strident views and opinions, I must admit
    and I am prepared to take it on the chin, but apart from a Forum Member being called a Liar, I found the Posts on Islam very informative
    on the whole though I accept there probably wasn't enough of an Alternative View put across assuming of course someone had one.
    I wasn't aware of any post that insulted you and if I was I would have spoke up against that.
    I hope you continue to play an active role on the Forum Frank I enjoy your contribution

13. Likes Ian D, JimC64 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by frank the triffid View Post
    Hi Red,

Like the new thread. I do wonder how long it will stay polite with a full-and-frank exchange of views.
    Sadly, I won't be offering any more inputs on those lines, I don't wish to be insulted any more.

Good luck,
    Frank
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by reddiesel View Post
    I wasn't aware of any post that insulted you and if I was I would have spoke up against that.
    I hope you continue to play an active role on the Forum Frank I enjoy your contribution
    +2

Best
    Jim
    MY2008 ( 58 ) XJ X358 2.7 Tdvi Sovereign LWB remapped to 245bhp, Black, Ivory leather interior with black piping, 20" Alloys
    MY2007 Audi A6 3.0 Tdi SE Quattro 176bhp Stratos Blue, Front & Rear park assist, Comms Pack High, Sline grille badge, 19" 7 twin spoke RS4 alloys,
    Rear tints, Dipped bulbs 80W, Mainbeams 100W, Foglights 100W, Number plate bulb LED's, Interior bulb LED's, First Aid Kit

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by reddiesel View Post
    A great upbeat Post Simon and that was good to hear.I have always taken the view that I live in the Greatest Country on
    Earth and I firmly believe that we have absolutely nothing to fear from exiting the European Bloc.It absolutely breaks my
    heart when I here Politicians with vested interests and the usual media stooges spreading doom and gloom and predicting
    disaster at every corner.Take the Scots for example, these were the people that built the British Empire with their renowned
    Protestant Work Ethic, a tremendously resourceful intelligent people who are now reduced to little more than a Protest Movement
    when they should be charting the course ahead with the rest of us
    Hi Red
    Perhaps you or someone else would / could / explain the fuss about Scotland leaving/ remaining in the UK. Is this about the Scottish wanting to leave or is this all just
    politics - politicians telling the Scots what to think ? I`m sure the EU would love Scotland to leave the UK and the EU , then accept a "re-enter the EU application" after surrendering all national identity and national wealth in exchange for EU Common Values and a down developing Euro currency. Am I wrong ? Just hope this never happens. Simon

Page 1 of 35 1234511 ... LastLast