Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ****** Farmers!

Post Thanks / Like

****** Farmers!

Good morning all
    Just had an expensive drive out down our country lanes
    The Farmer was cutting his hedges with the flailer type cutter and small bits of hedge were everywhere - and of course I got a bit through the sidewall of my front tyre - Lovely!
    My new tyre is not going along this lane until the bits have cleared.

merlin.
    And Then-----As if by Magic!

2005 - S-Type 2.7d -Auto

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah and don't forget you will pay for that damage twice as its the Taxpayer that pays for the Farmer maintaining those hedges.
    I remember years ago on my first Moped coming off the Nightshift at the Local Hospital and doing both tyres at 6am on a winters
    morning, I had to push it all the way home so I am feeling your pain Merlin.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow!
    I didn't know the farmers got paid to cut the hedges, I did ask when the Farmer was clearing the bits up off the road but I got a short reply.

merlin
    And Then-----As if by Magic!

2005 - S-Type 2.7d -Auto

Post Thanks / Like
    May be worth 'aving a word with Highways at your county council,because their contractor should not be leaving the road in a dangerous condition.
    2000 S Type manual(now sold and replaced with a Transit Connect!) BMW E30 cabbie in the very rare neon green colour and a Nissan Micra for 'er indoors!

5. Likes reddiesel, JimC64 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by merlin View Post
    Wow!
    I didn't know the farmers got paid to cut the hedges, I did ask when the Farmer was clearing the bits up off the road but I got a short reply.

merlin
    Absolutely no time whatsoever for these types Merlin,they are like Sir Richard Branson, incapable of running a business unless the Tax Payer
    is picking up the tab.

Post Thanks / Like
    As kids we used to get that problem with our push bike tyres at hedge cutting time. On the plus side, we all became very good at puncture repair. We used to compare inner tubes and count the patches to find a winner. They got me on my moped too. Haven't got me in the car yet, but in my experience, there only needs to be one thorn in the road to get a puncture.
    Jaguar x-Type 2.2D Super Turbo Saloon 2006 161k miles. Black. Six speed manual gears.
    Modified short final drive. Owned and thrashed from 128K miles.

8. Likes reddiesel liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Living in a farming district, you get used to the tractors and their bad habits.

One thing people don't seem to know, is that the farmer is responsible for clearing up the mess whether it be hedges or mud.

We had a young girl crash on her scooter because the farmer had not cleared up the mud. They have to do this or put out a sign saying "Mud on the Road". She won her case and was awarded damages for her injuries as well as the scooter.

Take a photo of the mess and the tractor if possible and tell the farmer you are claiming damages. If he does not cough up, the small claims court will make him.

Tony

10. Likes reddiesel liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by reddiesel View Post
    Absolutely no time whatsoever for these types Merlin,they are like Sir Richard Branson, incapable of running a business unless the Tax Payer
    is picking up the tab.
    Hang on a minute ................. are you suggesting that the farmers cut the hedges for nothing ?
    Broadly speaking - and I accept that there are exceptions - for "domestic" premises, there are records which state ownership of a boundary. That's probably not the case for most of the countryside. I live in very rural area and we're pretty much a "farm sandwich" between two farms. I cut, or pay to have cut, any hedges which separate two areas on my own land. The two farmers cut "their side" of all the hedges around their paddocks and fields. The grass and hedges which border the lanes are owned (I assume) by the highways agency and/or Devon County Council and they are responsible for upkeep and maintenance.
    They therefore pay farmers - who already have very expensive tractors and kit - to cut the grass and hedges which border their property.
    I don't think you should expect the farmers to do that for nothing - they are in business - they are not charitable institutions.

Clearing up is another matter. I probably get four punctures a year from flints that the farmers have brought out of the fields on their tractor tyres and other kit. There's often a thick layer of mud around many of the gates. Some are better than others at trying to keep the mess to a minimum but that's easier to say than to do. But - Yes - it is their responsibility and many do put signs up if required. I take the view that it is something that's inevitable "if you live in the country" just as the noise of police & ambulance sirens is inevitable if you live in a town. Haven't heard one of those round here in all the 12 years we have been here !!
    David.
    XK8 Convertible 4.0 - 1997. Aerial switch, boot lid switch, remote key-fob operated hood, & tensioners replaced.

12. Likes nichol*2010 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by E30MW View Post
    May be worth 'aving a word with Highways at your county council,because their contractor should not be leaving the road in a dangerous condition.
    I'd definitely be checking this out, sounds like half a job Harry was working that day.

Reading Davids text further down surprised me, don't know if I could live with 4 punctures per year, apart from driving me crazy it'd be quite expensive and I for one would be looking as to who would be paying in these circumstances.
    I'm going to shoot myself in the foot by actually typing these words and tempting fate........can't remember the last time I had a puncture

Jim
    MY2008 ( 58 ) XJ X358 2.7 Tdvi Sovereign LWB remapped to 245bhp, Black, Ivory leather interior with black piping, 20" Alloys
    MY2009 ( 58 ) X type 2.2d Sport Premium, Heated seats, Front & Rear park assist, Sat Nav, 18" Proteus alloys, tinted rear windows, Heko wind deflectors

Post Thanks / Like
    No beautiful Britsh Landscape with hedged in roads here. But farmers across Switzerland are paid for ploughing the snow in the countryside.
    Depending on the intensity of the snowfalls they have to get out and clear roads more or less often. All farmers that have a contract with the council
    are obliged to keeping the roads drivable at any time. It works very well.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast