Thread: Thousand Year Storage Discs (M Discs)

Post Thanks / Like

Thousand Year Storage Discs (M Discs)

Looking at a way to save for posterity and grandson my collection of DVDs. I started by transferring to a wifi hard drive and have now seen these discs. Good for 1,000 years. Soon they will have 100GB storage capacity.

Anyone actually tried one of these discs?

Tony

Post Thanks / Like
    How can anyone actually test that claim? Great how technology has advanced that much that storage capacity now lasts a lifetime without degrading.
    Current Car:
    2017 XE R-Sport 25t 250Ps 18MY.

Previous Cars:
    2000 S-Type 3.0L SE Auto
    2004 X-Type 3.0L AWD SE Auto estate.
    2007 XK x150 4.2L Coupe

Resident Super Moderator.
    V6 X-Type Oil Sump Replacement Guide

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian D View Post
    How can anyone actually test that claim? Great how technology has advanced that much that storage capacity now lasts a lifetime without degrading.
    No idea Ian, but that's the claim and no one in the industry says otherwise.

The downside is that they are not the quickest discs in the world and it will take a long time to download large files, but once done, no more degrading as in my old cassette tapes and some of my video library from the 70s.

Definitely on my list in a year or two when the have larger storage capacity.

Tony

Post Thanks / Like
    I did a bit of research some years ago in to long term storage, I worked in local Government and the Register office wanted to digitise their records as the paper was starting to deteriorate and storage costs were becoming prohibitive yada yada.... The brief was to have future proof technology that would last > 100 years, both media and replaying mechanism.

I was told that magnetic media was only safe for a year before degrading so needed to be refreshed and CD was only reckoned to last 10-20 years. This was before DVD was available so they were a bit flummoxed how to proceed.

I left before they made a decision but they were looking at putting it on to microfiche technology which I thought was a bit limiting.
    XF MY15.5 3.0d S Portfolio Stratus Grey with Ivory interior.