Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: JLR smashes the 500,000 sales barrier in 2016

Post Thanks / Like
    JLR have 3 plants in UK, a plant in China and a new one opened in Brazil.

5 plants to produce over 500,000 cars is nothing.

Red, I wasn't alerted at all by anyone. I read the replies and put my comment.

F-Pace sold 44,000 cars last year since Spring. People like premium cars.
    Last edited by Ian D; 10-01-17 at 11:44.
    Jaguar XK Coupe 4.2 2006 (2007 MY) in indigo blue, 16 way seats, slate blue/ivory interior, Portfolio mats, 19" Carelia alloys, keyless entry, 2014/15 sat nav DVD update.
    Mods: Power-fold door mirrors, ally weave dash trim, updated chrome stalks, XKR pedals, ACM kit, Speedpack Spoiler, XKR exhaust, late model seat and window switches, Alston Suede roof lining, Upper/Lower Mesh grilles, Redstuff pads all round.
    Resident Super Moderator.
    V6 X-Type Oil Sump Replacement Guide

Post Thanks / Like
    I would not take an MG China's idea of an SUV off you for free. I paid £40000 for the product I wanted.
    Onto Jaaag No 3 XF Sportbrake 2.2 Portfolio following 2 X-Type 2.0 Estates. Am I happy? Having read every fault mentioned on this website, I just have to say there isn't another brand or individual car that matches what the Jag delivers. If you want boring 100% reliability, buy a Lexus. If you want on-the-edge driving excitement, buy a bike. Otherwise, its got to be a Jag!

Post Thanks / Like
    An "aluminium" silver F-Pace was parked at the hotel down the road this morning - to me it looks like the most attractive SUV on the market today. Yes premium cars are expensive and SUVs, especially 2wd ones, are mainly pointless but we should let those who want to spend their hard-earned cash on modern Jaguars do so. We spend much too much time here bashing Jaguar, which strikes me as rather odd on a Jaguar enthusiasts' forum ... ?

Already owning two Jaguars, I couldn't bear the pain of owning an F-Pace for our "runabout", which my wife and son will batter to a pulp, but it is still a very desirable car and a surprisingly dynamic drive. Good job the more affordable options are pretty good too these days.
    S-Type 3.0 Manual MY2001 in Pacific Blue with Cashmere Leather Sport Seats, Sunroof, Melbourne Alloys, Premium Sound plus some other stuff ... 51k miles.
    XKR 5.0 Speed Pack MY2011 in Polaris White with Ivory/Charcoal Leather, Nevis Alloys and R-Performance Interior plus some other stuff ... 14k miles.
    FIAT Coupe MY1997 in Steel Grey with Tan Leather ... 51k miles.

4. Likes Ashanti, Ian D liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Straw View Post
    I would not take an MG China's idea of an SUV off you for free. I paid £40000 for the product I wanted.
    I agree Keith, but with Jaguars increasing Investment in overseas Production Facilities would you entertain a Jaguar
    built in China ?

Post Thanks / Like
    The Jaguar China plant is so they can have reduced tax on a vehicle built there rather than built in Castle Bromwich/Solihull/Halewood and shipped over. Same reason for the plant in Brazil too, less tax on vehicles that are built rather than shipped in.

The rest of the world gets Jaguar's built in UK.
    Jaguar XK Coupe 4.2 2006 (2007 MY) in indigo blue, 16 way seats, slate blue/ivory interior, Portfolio mats, 19" Carelia alloys, keyless entry, 2014/15 sat nav DVD update.
    Mods: Power-fold door mirrors, ally weave dash trim, updated chrome stalks, XKR pedals, ACM kit, Speedpack Spoiler, XKR exhaust, late model seat and window switches, Alston Suede roof lining, Upper/Lower Mesh grilles, Redstuff pads all round.

Post Thanks / Like
    Many manufacturers build in lower-cost geographies. Is a British-built Toyota, a Czech-build Hyundai or an American-built Mercedes as good as the original? It all depends on the actual quality achieved and any personal preferences as to location of manufacture. If the product is good, I would consider "Made in China", as we often have to these days in other product fields.
    S-Type 3.0 Manual MY2001 in Pacific Blue with Cashmere Leather Sport Seats, Sunroof, Melbourne Alloys, Premium Sound plus some other stuff ... 51k miles.
    XKR 5.0 Speed Pack MY2011 in Polaris White with Ivory/Charcoal Leather, Nevis Alloys and R-Performance Interior plus some other stuff ... 14k miles.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Neilr View Post
    Many manufacturers build in lower-cost geographies. Is a British-built Toyota, a Czech-build Hyundai or an American-built Mercedes as good as the original? It all depends on the actual quality achieved and any personal preferences as to location of manufacture. If the product is good, I would consider "Made in China", as we often have to these days in other product fields.
    I am not too sure if the Hyundai, Toyota comparison is a good one because with Jaguar we are talking about a Premium Brand that is indelibly
    British the same as Bentley, Land Rover and Rolls Royce. My suspicion is that few British Consumers would buy a Bentley or Jaguar made in
    China.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by reddiesel View Post
    My suspicion is that few British Consumers would buy a Bentley or Jaguar made in
    China.
    The younger generations seem to not know or care where a product is made as long as it does what they want. Heritage from 50-100 years ago stands for less and less. The Germans make their cars all over the place and most buyers again don't know or care - they still pay a premium for the "Made in Germany" image though. China was known for cheap products and the image will take time to mellow. Top-flight manufacturers manufacture in China to equally good standards as elsewhere so there is no reason why a Chinese built Jaguar, Mercedes, VW will be inferior to a European-built one is there?

Does Jaguar even want to be "indeliby" British. They want to be attractive to modern buyers and hence the move to be less wood and leather wafting and more towards performance, handling and up-to-date design.

The Japanese were known for reliability and people bought their cars largely because of this proven trait. A Toyota made in Turkey appears a lot less attractive to me than one from Japan. Jaguars, or most other British-built cars for that matter, were rarely viewed as the pinnacle of automobile quality (even though they are pretty good these days). The fear that a foreign Jaguar will be significantly worse is not that great. It will be sad if Jaguars are no longer British-built but I don't see it as a major problem for Jaguar.

Post Thanks / Like
    BMW X3, X4, X5 and X6 - Made in USA
    VW Passat - USA
    VW Eos - was made in Portugal
    Mercedes CLA - Hungary
    VW Jetta - Mexico
    Mercedes C Class - USA
    Audi Q7/Porsche Cayenne - Slovakia
    Audi A3 - Hungary
    Smart Car - France
    Mercedes G-Wagen - Austria

All the above are not made in Germany and sell well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jag75 View Post
    Maybe now they could spend some time on customer service.
    I can't say I have anything to complain about with Jaguar Customer Service.

Perhaps they could be quicker but they are miles better than Kia, Subaru and Seat which are the only other cars I have owned under Warranty.

And they didn't try and pass the buck like Mercedes and BMW have done to friends and colleagues.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast