Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 30 of 30

Thread: JLR smashes the 500,000 sales barrier in 2016

  1. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    489
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Neilr View Post
    Many manufacturers build in lower-cost geographies. Is a British-built Toyota, a Czech-build Hyundai or an American-built Mercedes as good as the original? It all depends on the actual quality achieved and any personal preferences as to location of manufacture. If the product is good, I would consider "Made in China", as we often have to these days in other product fields.
    Actually American built Mercedes like the ML had build quality issues for many years, I assume they have sorted this by now.

    Also American built Subarus don't seem to be as reliable as Japanese built.

  2. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    489
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by reddiesel View Post
    I agree Keith, but with Jaguars increasing Investment in overseas Production Facilities would you entertain a Jaguar
    built in China ?
    Would you buy a Chinese Built smartphone?

  3. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    489
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian D View Post
    BMW X3, X4, X5 and X6 - Made in USA
    VW Passat - USA
    VW Eos - was made in Portugal
    Mercedes CLA - Hungary
    VW Jetta - Mexico
    Mercedes C Class - USA
    Audi Q7/Porsche Cayenne - Slovakia
    Audi A3 - Hungary
    Smart Car - France
    Mercedes G-Wagen - Austria

    All the above are not made in Germany and sell well.
    The question you need to ask is how many of the buyers of these cars know they aren't made in germany?

    Remember the qualitynproblems when Mercedes started building cars in South Africa.

    And the quality problems with the Dacia Duster when they made RHD ones for the UK in India? They now make U.K. RHD models in the same factory as LHD vehicles.

    I would personally always prefer to buy a British made vehicle.

    Though I also like Japanese built vehicles and Korean built vehicles.

    Chinese build quality will improve there is no question of that.

  4. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Milton Keynes
    Posts
    1,758
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bigjl View Post
    Would you buy a Chinese Built smartphone?
    I wouldn't buy anything knowingly that was made in China but thats not the issue I was trying to raise some comment on,
    we all know about brands and the money corporations spend on creating a particular image to go with their product, is the
    Jaguar brand and image compromised if they for example moved all production to China, I think it was Neil that said earlier
    that todays typical buyer is of a generation that is either ignorant of heritage or considers it of no consequence as long as the
    product does what it says it does, I believe however that cars are often an emotional purchase and things may not be that simple

  5. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    489
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by reddiesel View Post
    I wouldn't buy anything knowingly that was made in China but thats not the issue I was trying to raise some comment on,
    we all know about brands and the money corporations spend on creating a particular image to go with their product, is the
    Jaguar brand and image compromised if they for example moved all production to China, I think it was Neil that said earlier
    that todays typical buyer is of a generation that is either ignorant of heritage or considers it of no consequence as long as the
    product does what it says it does, I believe however that cars are often an emotional purchase and things may not be that simple
    All iPhones and iPads are Made In China?

    Are you going to go Android? Has the Apple brand been devalued them making product in China?

    It is very unlikely they will ever move all vehicle production to China.

    They are only doing it to be able to sell the vehicles in China more profitably

  6. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    41
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian D View Post
    BMW sells 20 different model lines, Jaguar sells 5.

    It's a good start for Jaguar with the new model range and their best sales in a long time.
    My son advised that BMW 3 series sales were down 30 percent last year and BMW sales generally are down. I had enough of BMW and moved to Jaguar and so far I am very pleased.
    AL

  7. #27
    Senior Member Tiptronic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Cotswolds Glos.
    Posts
    2,475
    Post Thanks / Like
    I could probably tolerate China , Mexico & Brazil ....But made in India ??? Not so sure !!
    X 400 " 2.5 " Spirit " LE Auto . JR green 2005 .Petrol X type

    " Trust no One "

    Diesel ?? The motor trade bet on the wrong Horse ....

  8. #28
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    41
    Post Thanks / Like
    As manufacturing continues to be outsourced a lot depends on workers wages which have come up to double digits in China. Eventually, other locations will be considered for product production. I doubt Jaguar will build their cars in India. India is well down on the productivity level in many areas at number 54 which is way behind China. Low wages is one factor in India but quality and consistency of production is another. Quality control is critical for Jaguar as it's sales increase against a very resilient competitor base in Germany ie MB BMW and Audi.

  9. Likes reddiesel liked this post
  10. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Milton Keynes
    Posts
    1,758
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BCJAG View Post
    My son advised that BMW 3 series sales were down 30 percent last year and BMW sales generally are down. I had enough of BMW and moved to Jaguar and so far I am very pleased.
    AL
    Your probably old enough like myself to remember when a BMW was a comparatively rare sight on British Roads,
    they are now this generations equivalent of the Ford Cortina, they are everywhere, mostly on finance or leasing
    agreements. I constantly marvel at the endless variations with barely six months going past before you are greeted
    with another New Release and the public flock to the showroom.

  11. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Milton Keynes
    Posts
    1,758
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bigjl View Post
    All iPhones and iPads are Made In China?

    Are you going to go Android? Has the Apple brand been devalued them making product in China?

    It is very unlikely they will ever move all vehicle production to China.

    They are only doing it to be able to sell the vehicles in China more profitably
    I think that the Far East has established since the seventies a reputation for Electronics and indeed innovation
    in this field with companies such as LG, Sony and Samsung so its no surprise to find Apple there also.
    Totally different from producing a Jaguar there and selling it back to the UK market which I don't believe they
    would do, so I await to see what their plans are for these factories. I was merely attempting to gauge some opinion
    from the Forum Members as to whether they would buy a foreign built Jaguar, I wouldn't.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •