Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Just ordered new coil and lambda is it worth doing plugs too ??

Post Thanks / Like

Just ordered new coil and lambda is it worth doing plugs too ??

Me again,

Biught a new lambda and coilpack but do you think its worth doing the plugs at this point too anyone know the correct ones or is it the same as the lambda, a screwball type for just that year lol ????
    I also Bought some reverse E torx sockets for the ABS module screws as you need a E5. Got plenty to be getting on with, just hope the weather is better tomorrow ?? As I want to at least get the old sensor out. And I also have to remove the snorkel to the throttlebody to get to bank 1 coil 1
    Happy days

L
    1998 Jaguar XJ8 4L LWB in Jaguar Tudor White, Huggy
    1999 Jaguar XJ8 4L LWB in Jaguar Tudor White, Celeste
    Above all, Have Fun

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Lance. With regards to the plugs it's hard to say and depends on age and mileage they have covered. What i will say is that when you are disconnecting the coil pack from the loom be careful. There is a small lug on the coil that holds the loom connection together. As i reconnected one the plastic broke. I suppose they can become brittle with age. Good luck with the weather.
    98 XJR. First Jag and still loving it after 5 years.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi,

Cheers matey, will be careful with the clip. Think I will take the plug out and check the condition as I bought them last year from a good mate of mine and I will ask him if he had them changed, would make sense to replace them with the same type already in as had a look on british parts they are selling NGK PFR6G-13E but think these are for like yours the Supercharged. Had a look on jagrepair for my 1999 year and on the technical notes for it it stated NGK PFR5G-13E for the normaly aspirated 4.0l so im glad I checked.
    Mines coverd 128000 mile so I may just get some, dear do though but thats what comes with Jaguar ownership. Read your foot note and yes I would agree im loving them

Lance
    Above all, Have Fun

4. Likes JimC64 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    As stated above, it depends on mileage. The Jaguar maintenance sheet for the XJ8 says 70,000 miles for the normally aspirated engine. That seems too high to me. I'm due to change mine again this spring, but I'm waiting for warmer weather. I last changed mine about 30,000 miles ago. Some of them were very tight, nearly seized. Probably best to use a small amount of copper grease.

It's not a difficult job; just a little fiddly. I took my time in case anything was brittle with age and heat.
    Present car: 2000 XJR Platinum Silver 200,000+ miles

Previous Jaguars: 1977 XJ6L 4.2
    1985 Daimler Double Six V12
    1990 Jaguarsport XJR 4.0

Post Thanks / Like
    Well,

Got my tools out and removed the airbox and snorkel to the throttle body, took the coil cover of and got the plug of the coil with no problems, I decided to take the spark plug out, it wasnt a PFR5G-13E it was a IFR5N 10 wasnt in bad condition so dont think I will change the plugs.

Then started on the Lambda sensor, what a bit#h lol took the coolant header tank off then the pipes and the diverter valve. Then the three torx T30 screws for the heat shield. That was the worst job of all, leaving the sensor with WD40 on it waiting for me in the morning ??? Hopefully. The coil pack should arrive tomorrow so fingers crossed the Cat will be purring once again.

All the best

Lance
    Above all, Have Fun

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok here I go,

Got the lambda sensor off, replaced theheat shield with new bolts not the original t30 torx screws. Put all the pipes back on in the correct placement filled it up with coolant (no leaks) fitted the new coil pack and replaced the throttle snorkel. Checked everything again then started her up, all fine sounding great, BUT slight steam from that area just coolant lost on the exaust and burning the wd40 off so wasnt too botherd !!! Or was it
    Checked water level all was good.
    Got in the car and felt for warm air from the vents, cold air blowing ?????
    Took her for a spin round the estate still cold, checked the pipes all warm ish from the pump but the top pipe from the Denso diverter thingy was cold.
    Do I just need to take her a good drive around with the temp in thecar on Hi I dont think I have missed anything.
    Had to take the denso diverter and the heater pump off to get to the Lambda ????
    Had a look through the book to see if there was a fuse but couldny find it ????
    Light if fading now so will leave it till the morning hope it doesn't snow tomorrow.

Cheers

Lance
    Above all, Have Fun

Post Thanks / Like
    humm.

or does the coolant need bleeding.

When cold, Take cap off. Start car. Let it warm up a bity. Squeze a few pipes.

Turn off and fit cap.
    XJR 2001 Pacific Blue
    Range Rover Sport 2005 Red 2.7 TD

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Andy,
    Going to try that in the morning. Everything went well with putting it back together. Does feel like a airlock but I was concerned about the steam but I think it was the catalictic converter just burning off.
    Nothing leaking so just baffled at the moment mate.
    Eaven looked through car book and on jagrepair to see if there was a heater valve fuse or relay but canr find anything ???
    Do you think if I drive it around a short distance with the cap off the filler tank it will clear it ?? I did have the cap off and pumped the pipes best I could

Cheers

Lance
    Above all, Have Fun

Post Thanks / Like
    I think if you drove it with the cap off it would heat up and you would loose a lot of coolant

worth leaving the cap a bit loose in this weather. May help.

Maybe the valve has broke. I don't think they are too reliable.
    XJR 2001 Pacific Blue
    Range Rover Sport 2005 Red 2.7 TD

Post Thanks / Like
    Might leave cap loose as I do think it is a airlock. The valve I noticed that the gate flap was closed so blocking the through flow of water. Might actualy take it off again tomorrow and have a better look ?????
    Thanks again Andy K appreciate your help mate.

Lance
    Above all, Have Fun

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast