Thread: where is remote gas cap release?

Post Thanks / Like

where is remote gas cap release?

I am just purchasing an 1988 XJ6 Vanden Plas and cannot figure out where the gas cap release is...I do not have an owner's manual (why do people throw them away??).
    Thanks for any suggestions......

Post Thanks / Like
    As far as I understand it when the car is unlocked it should just be a matter of pressing on the flap,
    in fact you can usually hear the solenoid operating,Some of these models also came with a lever in
    the boot that allowed it to be opened manually. I hope that helps, its many years since I owned one
    so I speak from memory rather than any recent experience.All the best.

Junior Member FRENCHFAIRPLAYDRIVER's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Gas cap release

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture d’écran 2017-01-10 à 15.39.27.png 
Views:	7 
Size:	424.6 KB 
ID:	21311
    Quote Originally Posted by reddiesel View Post
    As far as I understand it when the car is unlocked it should just be a matter of pressing on the flap,
    in fact you can usually hear the solenoid operating,Some of these models also came with a lever in
    the boot that allowed it to be opened manually. I hope that helps, its many years since I owned one
    so I speak from memory rather than any recent experience.All the best.

best regards
    JAGUAR XJ40...1989...3L6...CRIMSON METAL...LEATHER DOESKIN....140000KMS...DAILY CAR

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I was wrong, it is a 1992. The fitting on the gas filler lid is missing. Some piece of plastic that latches. Anyone have a spare of this or know where I can find one?? I found the owners manual and they go into needless detail about ho9w to remove the gas cap (a no brainer), but opening up the flap is only mentioned by using a hidden lever in the trunk...so, if there is no remote from in the car itself, then the latch must be push to lock push to unlo9c type and that llbit of plastic is missing...at least as far as I am able to figure out....

Post Thanks / Like
    Is your flap completely flat or is there a raised hump on the back edge?
    2005 55 reg 06MY 2.0D Sovereign.
    Jaguar Racing Green - HGZ