Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tesla Cars

Post Thanks / Like

Tesla Cars

Has anyone done any research on Tesla cars, models and options?

I like the "Ludicrous Speed" and "Auto Pilot" options

Here are some of the cars on Autotrader today with their price ranges:

Tesla X E P90D (D=Diesel? )
    2017: £170,000 (only 1 available)

Tesla X E SUV
    2016: £125,000 (only 1 available, as new, 100 miles)

Tesla S E P90D
    2016: £74,000-£99,000
    2015: £72,000-£96,000

Tesla S E P85D
    2016: £75,000 (only 1 available)
    2015: £56,000-£95,000
    2014: £55,000-£64,000

Some have P prefix and 85, 90 seem to be the KwH. Not clear what the D is.

The P100D is the new 2017 model.

Post Thanks / Like
    it has an electric motor so in my book its utter rubbish
    I'm 16 and Currently own an almost fully loaded 2005 S Type 3.0 Radiance Red with the HIGH LUXURY PACK interior
    no SUNROOF or SATNAV.
    Wanna see it? >> http://www.jaguarforum.com/showthread.php?t=95691

slow project never finished..

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry_B View Post
    it has an electric motor so in my book its utter rubbish

Sadly Henry, by the time you reach my age and I count myself as one of the younger ones on here,

You could well be eating those words

At least you'll be able to tell your grandkids stories about how you once owned a car that made a lot of noise and ran on a fluid called petrol.

As for Tesla, saw yet another one here in Huddersfield this morning, they're a big car and I'd have one.

Rich
    Silentum Sicarius

Born 24 November 2005
    Jaguar Super V8 LWB in Midnight Black with Ivory
    All options except Sunroof. Lambswool Overmats are MIA
    Longlife Exhaust - Rear Silencers Removed
    Nextbase 412GW Dashcam for the idiots in front of me
    Nextbase 312GW Dashcam for the idiots behind

My Showroom Thread

2000 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 ES Td5
    A 7 seat, go anywhere family bus
    Back up and running, ready for the summer

Post Thanks / Like
    The thing with Tesla is that ludicrous mode can only be used a couple of times otherwise it overheats and goes into protection mode. They don't sell all that well and the big manufacturers are catching them up.

Porsche are developing a Cayenne Coupe that's all electric, BMW will have the I range, Audi will have the e-Tron and Jaguar the I-Pace.

They weigh over 2 tons, comes with 8 year warranty but only on the batteries which expire and basically write off the car if not exchanged within the warranty period (everything else is 50k miles and 4 years) and IMO don't look all that good, although a lot of people seem to make a big thing of the autopilot which is still a bit rough round the edges. Tesla have taken on an ex Apple swift programmer to combat this.
    Jaguar XK Coupe 4.2 2007 indigo blue with many mods and retrofits.

New car, XE R-Sport 25t 250Ps 18MY coming September!

Previous:
    S-Type 3.0L SE Auto
    X-Type 3.0L SE Auto estate.

Resident Super Moderator.
    V6 X-Type Oil Sump Replacement Guide

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Jim,

I would suggest the 85 and 90 are Kw not Kwh, which is not really a lot of power (90 = 120 H.P.).

Electric powered vehicles just do not appeal to me, certainly they are a bit of a novelty but no thanks.

I saw a report today about a VW combi type van concept and one of the figures given was it's battery can be charged to 80% in half an hour, unfortunately the power required to do that is greater than the normal U.K. domestic electrical capacity. This is one of the fundemental issues, to have a quick charge requires relatively high amounts of power for domestic users.

Alec
    2004 2.5 X Type Estate, MK 2 3.8 (Long term restoration), 2.5 P.I. Triumph saloon, 564 Hymer motorhome.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian D View Post
    The thing with Tesla is that ludicrous mode can only be used a couple of times otherwise it overheats and goes into protection mode. They don't sell all that well and the big manufacturers are catching them up.

Porsche are developing a Cayenne Coupe that's all electric, BMW will have the I range, Audi will have the e-Tron and Jaguar the I-Pace.

They weigh over 2 tons, comes with 8 year warranty but only on the batteries which expire and basically write off the car if not exchanged within the warranty period (everything else is 50k miles and 4 years) and IMO don't look all that good, although a lot of people seem to make a big thing of the autopilot which is still a bit rough round the edges. Tesla have taken on an ex Apple swift programmer to combat this.
    I am with you Ian they don't attract me either. I am surprised to hear Rich say that he would have one.

Post Thanks / Like
    One of my bosses at work has one and I personally think they're brilliant. He can start to warm the car up 30-60 minutes before he goes home on cold mornings/evenings, he also had the "come to me feature" (not sure what it's really called) activated and just by a click on his iPhone app the car drives to where the phone is. He also gets a message to say when it's fully charged so he can turn the charging off to save power, the onboard computer also tells him exactly where the nearest charging point is based on the available charge left in the batteries. Excellent innovation to be honest.
    Dave

2003.50MY Facelift Midnight Black XJ8 3.5 V8, Electrochromic Rear View Mirror & Electrochromic Folding Wing Mirrors, Heated Dove Grey Leather Memory Seats with 16 Way Adjustment, ARTS Active Headrests, Factory Sat Nav, Factory Bi-Xenons, CATS Air Suspension. Bluetooth & Voice control now retrofitted and working. Currently about to start the rear entertainment retrofit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Fitzy,

as I said novelty features, but what really is the point of them?

Alec
    2004 2.5 X Type Estate, MK 2 3.8 (Long term restoration), 2.5 P.I. Triumph saloon, 564 Hymer motorhome.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashanti View Post
    Sadly Henry, by the time you reach my age and I count myself as one of the younger ones on here,

You could well be eating those words

At least you'll be able to tell your grandkids stories about how you once owned a car that made a lot of noise and ran on a fluid called petrol.

As for Tesla, saw yet another one here in Huddersfield this morning, they're a big car and I'd have one.

Rich
    When I'm old err

The xj or any jag will be a bean shaped hover craft as apposed to the wonderful saloon it is today
    I'm 16 and Currently own an almost fully loaded 2005 S Type 3.0 Radiance Red with the HIGH LUXURY PACK interior
    no SUNROOF or SATNAV.
    Wanna see it? >> http://www.jaguarforum.com/showthread.php?t=95691

slow project never finished..

Post Thanks / Like
    Alec,

Thanks for the correction.

There are more details but I can't find them now, typical.

As for novelty features, no. Those are the standard features, and what all cars are going to be fitted with if the price is paid.

Remember The Jetsons?

Here's some info on home charging for the Tesla...

Source: https://www.tesla.com/en_GB/support/...g-installation
    What to install?

We recommend to install a Tesla Wall Connector at home as this is the most convenient way to charge. Tesla Wall Connector has a dedicated cable which plugs directly into your car and is available in two different cable lengths: 2.5 and 7.5 metre. Other cars with a Type 2 inlet can also charge on this unit.

A Tesla Wall Connector enables charging up to 22 kW. The achievable charge rate depends on your grid connection and vehicle configuration.

The majority of homes have a 1-phase grid connection, allowing you to charge up to 7.4 kW or 22 miles/hour*. This is more than sufficient for overnight charging.

Some homes have a 3-phase grid connection. This connection enables you to charge up to 11 kW or 34 miles/hour*.

If more power is available or if you plan to upgrade your grid connection, a Tesla can charge up to 16.5 kW or 51 miles/hour*. To achieve this charge rate, the car needs to be equipped with the High power charger upgrade.

The Tesla Wall Connector can be purchased at your Service Centre, priced at 398 GBP (2.5m cable length) and 438 GBP (7.5m cable length).

*Refers to the rated range added on Model S per hour charging

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast