Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Amount of Electricity to Charge 2 Million Electric Cars

Post Thanks / Like

Amount of Electricity to Charge 2 Million Electric Cars

My brain is dead tonight (as it is most nights) but I was thinking that all this hype about electric cars and charging them.

2 million electric cars as an example..

A Nissan Leaf needs 30 KWatts of mains elecy to fully charge.

2 million time 30 KW = 60 Gigawatts or something.

Ratcliffe is a 2 Gigawatt power station so I guess we need a lot more coal fired power stations if the greens get their way with cars.

It just seems all wrong somehow.

Tony

Post Thanks / Like
    Ye cannae change the laws o' physics, cap'n!
    55 X-Type 3.0 Sovereign estate, automatic, midnight blue, barley leather

Going back through time...
    X-Type 2.2d SE estate, Alfa GT, Porsche 928, Lexus GS300, Mercs E320 & E280, Rover 600, Vauxhall Senator, Opel Ascona, Fiat 127, Dutton Phaeton, Hillman Avenger

"The problem with quotes on the internet is that one cannot validate their authenticity." -
    Charles Dickens

Post Thanks / Like
    Du sum o them there power stations run on deesel or petrol or somat similar.lol
    SE05 JAG stype, 2. 7 DIESEL,zircon/barley,sat nav2012,xenons,winter pack,rear park assist,
    Retrofitted > cdc,bluetooth phone module, pairs 5phones, jaguar voice, Led cabin lites.chrome grille &light surrounds, power points +leds in boot, ,DRLs, boot spoiler, Dash cam front/rear, Folding mirrors on double lock, Intergrated Reversing camera, Webasto heater manually selectable, Half wood st/wheel,burr walnut interior, dash clock, 84,000 mlies umbrella.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Tony,

assuming they are all on charge at the same time, however at this moment the U.K. grid load is 42 G Watts, and 60 G Watts is rare so at the top end of our capacity. Also, as mentioned in another post there is a strong push to get rid of fossil fuel heating and cookers. Who dreams up these schemes?

Alec
    2004 2.5 X Type Estate, MK 2 3.8 (Long term restoration), 2.5 P.I. Triumph saloon, 564 Hymer motorhome.

Post Thanks / Like
    There are only currently just over 90,000 plug in electric cars registered in the UK. Last year 37,000 were registered, at the rate they are currently being registered it would take 50 years to reach 2 million electric cars in the UK. It'll probably take off more though when more manufacturers get involved in electric.
    Jaguar XK Coupe 4.2 2007 indigo blue.

Mods: Power-fold door mirrors, ally weave dash trim, late model chrome stalks, XKR pedals, ACM kit, Speedpack Spoiler, XKR exhaust, 5.0 XKR diffuser, late model seat and window switches, Alston Suede roof lining, Upper/Lower Mesh grilles, Redstuff pads all round. Aerial removed and re-located to spoiler.

Resident Super Moderator.
    V6 X-Type Oil Sump Replacement Guide

Post Thanks / Like
    In my twisted logic, I would imagine that 2 million electric cars will be at the lower end of the scale if the anti diesel and green lobby get their way.

As most of the charging would be done in the evening/night time, most of these cars will be charging at the same time.

Chaos anyone?

Tony

Post Thanks / Like
    I am sure I have read that the smart meters that there is a push for everyone to have, can inform you on how much energy each appliance is using. Seems to me that it it would very simple to then take readings of how much your electric car is using and then taxing accordingly. I could be wrong and just cynical .
    XK 150 4.2 2006 black convertible

Post Thanks / Like
    Could charge the battery on the mains of my neighbour - looking forward to that

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by woo5ie View Post
    I am sure I have read that the smart meters that there is a push for everyone to have, can inform you on how much energy each appliance is using. Seems to me that it it would very simple to then take readings of how much your electric car is using and then taxing accordingly. I could be wrong and just cynical .
    Why taxing?

Shouldn't we just be paying for the extra power at the same rate or even a lower rate on a separate meter at worst?

I'm being devil's advocate, I realised long ago that the country can't afford to lose road tax.

The only question is how they will recover that amount of money from us.

By the way the Tesla can take a wide voltage range, and single phase or three-phase.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Jim,

I'm sure the government has plans for that, at the moment they want to encourage people to buy them by giving a grant but once there are sufficient on the roads, there's bound to be some sort of tax?
    Three phase chargers will give the shortest charge time (charge time being dependant on the size of the power supply) but for a domestic user it is quite expensive to have the single phase supply changed to three phase.

Woo5ie, do you have any idea how these so called 'smart meters' can detect which appliance(s) is drawing the current, never mind how they measure it?
    Alec
    2004 2.5 X Type Estate, MK 2 3.8 (Long term restoration), 2.5 P.I. Triumph saloon, 564 Hymer motorhome.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast