Thread: Fit Cam Shims 92 - 3.2 engine

Post Thanks / Like

Fit Cam Shims 92 - 3.2 engine

My mechanic has told me I need to fit cam shims to open my valves up as the gap is too small. ( To improve running/idle) Can anyone tell me how long time wise (hours) will this repair take I am trying to get some idea of how much it is going to cost me for the repair as he has not done this repair before.

Post Thanks / Like
    don't take it back to that mechanic , he doesn't know what he is doing with your JAG

idle is set by the idle control valve, if idle is hunting the stepper motor may need cleaning, also clean the throttle body

it goes without saying to replace all plugs, leads and dizzy cap , and ensure the crank position sensor is in good order

you can also try changing the engine mounted temperature sensor which tells the ecu if the engine is hot or not

BB

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi brake buster I have had a new stepper motor plugs leads dizzy cap rotor and air and fuel filters fitted same result will not idle properly. The throttle body was cleaned and checked as well as air mass meter oxygen sensor replaced all new parts. The valve clearances were checked and all were below specifications. When these valve clearances are not opening properly it causes rough idling according to other mechanics. I have just got it back today (two weeks after the other parts listed were fitted) after having the front end bushes tie rods replaced today. When I got home about an hour later the car would not run it would start but you could not rev the engine up as it kept stalling. I seem to have a problem with the distributor now so it is going back to the workshop again. Here in Queensland Australia trying to find a mechanic who knows anything about Jaguars is just about impossible with most mechanics not game to touch them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Finally had these spacer shims fitted. My mechanic had one awful handful of work on his hands it ended up taking him 11 hours to do the job but charged me for 8 hours. It has certainly made a great deal of difference to the power output from my engine. It is going like a rocket. It worked out to be pretty expensive as I had to buy the special tools to hold the cam shaft in place $250. $1,300 all up I just hope I get something more than a rocket out of it now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by brake buster View Post
    don't take it back to that mechanic , he doesn't know what he is doing with your JAG

idle is set by the idle control valve, if idle is hunting the stepper motor may need cleaning, also clean the throttle body

it goes without saying to replace all plugs, leads and dizzy cap , and ensure the crank position sensor is in good order

you can also try changing the engine mounted temperature sensor which tells the ecu if the engine is hot or not

BB
    Tight valve clearances could be a correct diagnosis for the issues, the valves and seats wear over time and can result in tight clearances and loss of compression and slight variation in valve timing and yes it is a big job, it takes longer than removing the cylinder head and replacing it again.
    2003 X350 3.5SE

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Scrubber
    As my last post explains it was a lot of work. I had to buy the special tools so as to not have to remove the head and supposedly make the job easier. After it was all said and done the car is running very smoothly and the acceleration has improved dramatically. All said and done was it worth it. Yes as this is the best my car has performed since I have owned it (12 years).
    (John) ubetido