Thread: 2007 Jaguar X-Type Estate 2.2D Black Smoke under Acceleration (above 3,000 RPM)

Post Thanks / Like

Question 2007 Jaguar X-Type Estate 2.2D Black Smoke under Acceleration (above 3,000 RPM)

Hi there,

I have just signed up to this forum for some tips, advice and suggestions to a problem I am having with my wife's car.

Under acceleration, there are plumes of black smoke being chucked out of the exhaust. I just have blanked off the EGR valve with a metal plate and while it helped it hasn't really fixed the problem. I have unplugged the MAF sensor to test and still the problem persists.

However, if I drive the car aggressively and hang on to the gears the smoke eventually clears and it's okay for a short while even under load/acceleration.

What else should I be checking? The injectors were replaced (all of them) before I purchased the car for her.

Thank you for your help in advance.

Post Thanks / Like
    You need to remove EGR and inlet manifold give them a good clean, very messy job. Don't use supermarket fuel. And every now and then give it what we call an Italian tune up.drop a gear foot to the floor.
    04 X TYPE 2.0 D SE . DARK BLUE. FULL LEATHER/ Barley/ FACE LIFT GRILLE/ NIGHT BREAKERS/LEDs INTER./ CHROME LIGHT SURROUNDS FRONT & REAR / SMOKED SIDE REPEATERS./MATCHING REAR TREADPLATES,WOOD ASHTRAY & MATCHING WOOD GEAR STICK SURROUND .DASH VENT CLOCK.RETRO FITTED SAT NAV.

3. Thanks joesouthcott thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the reply.

The EGR function has been removed with one of the popular EGR blanking plates. So that's "deleted" anyway so I'm not going to clean that. Perhaps the intake manifold does need cleaning; I will look into that. As I said, I do give it an "Italian tune up" every now and then and after about 10 mins of heavy driving (hanging onto the gears etc) the smoke does disappear. But the next day it's back again. Any ideas?

Post Thanks / Like
    Same problem on my wife's 2004 Mondeo
    All Derivatives using this engine (Mondeo's. Fiat ducato's etc..) suffer with the same problem.
    I cleaned the egr and manifold. Also found a crack in the pipe feeding the egr.
    Never managed to clear 100%.
    Jaguar Keys & Remotes
    Castle Locks
    196 London Rd
    Hadleigh
    Essex
    SS7 2PD

07792 552423
    01702 555557
    castle.locks@btinternet.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Sometimes occurs when one of the hoses has a small split. Turbo hose is a normal culprit.
    Silver 06 X Type 2.2d Sport

Post Thanks / Like
    I would suggest a diagnostics read with a mongoose JLR/SDD which should give an idea. Could be a blocked pipe, turbo actuator or EGR.
    The 2.2 has an electronic EGR which requires a hole in the blanking plate to enable ECU to read the function.
    Also cleaning the turbo could help. There are threads on here showing how to do this.

Roger
    HEY I THOUGHT I HAD RETIRED, Ex Auto Electrician
    2006 X Type 2.2d SE Manual Estate. Zurcon Blue Champagne/Mocca, F/R Parking sensors, ,Auto Lights, Auto Wipers, Headlight Washers, Sat Nav 2012 update, 17 in Wheels, 102K Mods:- Electric Autofold Mirrors on Locking , HID Dip Beams
    Simple Autofold Mirrors on Locking,http://www.jaguarforum.com/showthrea...irrors+locking
    UPDATE YOUR SIGNATURE http://www.jaguarforum.com/showthread.php?t=91945