Thread: X300 electrical/wiring help required

Post Thanks / Like

X300 electrical/wiring help required

Hi all
    Some wiring assistance required - I am currently refurbing a 1996 Daimler six Lwb, and for the most part it's going ok. However I have found a few strange issues with the wiring/electrics on the car.

Firstly there is no power to the boot lights at all, that's one for investigation, secondly the car will not go into 'learning mode' when trying to programme in a second key fob, I have replaced the valet switch and still no response from the car.

But the third and most pressing issue is the wiring for the radio, when I bought the car the standard jaguar radio didn't work - it had no power. I planned to replace this anyway so this wasn't an issue. I have recently bought a DAB radio and antenna, and was fitting everything over the weekend. And that's when I knew not all was well, the ski slope at some point has been removed by what must have been a crow bar, as the frame that supports it is snapped in a few places, so that's junk and will be binned. Then when I removed the radio, I noticed that it was not connected to anything - I plugged it in and tried it but no life at all. I pressed on anyway, and installed the DAB antenna, followed by the new radio. Unfortunately for me the new radio isn't getting any power at all either. And this is the bit I need help with, the only thing I have tried is taking the ignition live from the cigar lighter(although I haven't tested the cigar lighter yet) and feeding that through onto the radio wiring harness, but still no power.

The wiring has been chopped around a bit before as there is an aftermarket fm aerial installed in the rear window and there is cable for that that runs through the transmission tunnel(signal wire), and another couple of cables that run through the roof and down the A pillar(power), then splicing into the radio wiring harness ignition 12v feed.

Any suggestions what to check next? I'm new to car electronics, but I do have a multimeter. Next on my list is to check power to the cigar lighter I tried as this may not actually work, this may also explain why the valet switch doesn't work either. Also check all fuses as I haven't checked any thus far. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    '95 x300 4.0 sovereign swb - Daily driver
    '96 x300 4.0 Daimler Six lwb - Restoring/weekend car

'94 x300 4.0 Daimler Six swb - Was restoring but toooo far gone - now stripped and crushed
    '07 X350 2.7tdvi sovereign swb - Sold
    '90 XJ40 4.0 XJ6 swb - Sold - Moved to Austria

Post Thanks / Like
    Try jagrepairs.com there are excellent wire prints on this site, they helped me more than once.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I fixed the radio wiring harness, it had been butchered by someone else and the ignition live had been severed. So I just pinched the cigar lighter one for now, I will replace the wiring properly next time I take the centre console apart. I thought I'd done this before but I got the wrong wire! I confirmed which one was the ignition live this time with a multimeter.

Next up is trying to fix the internal boot lights, I have to strip the boot linings anyway soon to replace the has struts so I'll combine the 2 jobs. And rather than mess around trying to trace a fault, I might just put an additional wire in from the nearest fuse box using one of those piggy back fuses, would save a lot of hassle.

'94 x300 4.0 Daimler Six swb - Was restoring but toooo far gone - now stripped and crushed

Post Thanks / Like
    Ps. Thanks for the wiring diagrams tip! Now I know where to find them, very useful indeed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Fixed the boot lights as well now, it was the boot catch and micro switch, both items worked independently but for some reason didn't work with each other, and someone had cellotaped the switch closed meaning the boot lights could never come on.

I replaced the whole unit as I had a spare from the last x300 I broke for spares. All fixed now.