Thread: Its a car but not a Jaguar ?

Post Thanks / Like

Post Its a car but not a Jaguar ?

As the title goes, if its a car and not a Jaguar then post it here....

Feel free to chat about any other car brand, you may have a second car, or your husbands, wife's, son or daughters car is not a Jaguar, let us know about it...

As always there are some goo car brands and some not so good.... We all have had experiences over the years
    Rory - Jaguar Forum Administrator - Help Support the Forum

2. Thanks Ian D thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice one Rory

I'm sure there's lots of members out there with a stable of Jaguars, but as you say, probably just as many with 2nd or 3rd cars in the family too....

I'm wondering if we'll see any exotic brands?

We have 4 Jags between myself and 3 sons and my wife has my old Audi A6, which I had from new
    I'll get mine added, looking forward to seeing what else turns up??

Jim
    MY2008 ( 58 ) XJ X358 2.7 Tdvi Sovereign LWB remapped to 245bhp, Black, Ivory leather interior with black piping, 20" Alloys
    MY2009 ( 58 ) X type 2.2d Sport Premium, Heated seats, Front & Rear park assist, Sat Nav, 18" Proteus alloys, tinted rear windows, Heko wind deflectors

Post Thanks / Like
    I've got a nice stable, although some may have their doubts.

Apart from our second car, a Rover 75 V6 Connoisseur which is almost like new considering its 15 years old but I also have a couple tucked away in the garage.
    A fully restored SD1 Rover Vitesse and a very late model Vanden Plas Princess 1300 automatic which has only got around 34k since new in 1974. The Vitesse is a 1986 model not long before the SD1 was replaced with the 800 series.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0045.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	603.9 KB 
ID:	22172

This is a photo of the Vitesse I have hanging up in my conservatory, it was taken during my restoration.
    To think the car only had minimal corrosion around the wheel arches.
    The rebuild took me three years and approx 7k
    2010MY 3.0D XF Premium Luxury Azure Blue
    Plus a few others

5. Thanks JimC64 thanked for this post
    Likes reddiesel, JimC64, Rondu liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The SD1 was some car when you look back on it, I believe it won car of the year upon its introduction.
    Its one of the great pleasures of my motoring life that I was fortunate to live through a period of great
    Rover cars, my own personal favourite being the predecessor of yours the 3.5 S.
    Some say nowadays that it was sheer folly on the part of British Leyland to have so many mid to luxury
    brands, Jaguar, Daimler, Rover and Triumph all competing in the same marketplace for the same customer,
    that wasn't how I remember it as a young boy growing up, and other members especially in the Midlands
    may correct me on this, but there was tremendous brand loyalty back then and a Rover man was totally
    different from a Triumph man, but the Jaguar man, he sat at the top of the tree.

7. Likes JimC64 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Vanden Plas Princess was a lovely little car, almost like a limousine in miniature complete with
    picnic tables and a lovely wooden dashboard, from memory I believe the seats were leather also.
    I wonder who the typical buyers of that car were? it certainly was rare around Glasgow and I think
    was gone by around 74. Didn't they produce some Vanden Plas abomination based on the Austin Allegro ?

Post Thanks / Like
    I used to work with an Austin Rover main dealer who latterly also had Jaguar & Land Rover. I fitted cruise control systems to many of them (Econocruise)
    I always liked Rovers having owned a 2000TC P6 when I was just 21. The Vitesse I've had since it was three years old and I knew it's previous history very well. It's a cracking car and when I restored it I made a custom boot floor and rear valance to allow me to convert it with a duplex exhaust. The car was exhibited at the 2010 Classic Car Show in the NEC

The Vanden Plas was actually supplied to Appleyard in Glasgow when new but found its way down to Prestwick. It's no secret that it was loosely based on the Rolls Royce with the dashboard and switch design very similar and yes it does have leather trim with the drop down picnic tables. It also has a nice cloth headlining and even the grille is similar to RR.

The last one you mention was a bit of a last gasp for the Allegro, mind you I had a few as company cars but only one gave me loads of trouble, it was a 1500 Special which looked very nice in Russet Brown with Velour trim but it was absolutely gutless. I could barely get it up to 5th gear on the way down from Kilmarnock to Ayr.
    2010MY 3.0D XF Premium Luxury Azure Blue
    Plus a few others

10. Likes reddiesel liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jag 75 - superb

Guys like you that do these restorations just blow me away. I remember the Rovers and particularly loved the old P6 Rover I think it was

The later Vitesse too rings bells with me and had a following for sure

Thanks, but just a tad light on the pics??

Jim
    MY2008 ( 58 ) XJ X358 2.7 Tdvi Sovereign LWB remapped to 245bhp, Black, Ivory leather interior with black piping, 20" Alloys
    MY2009 ( 58 ) X type 2.2d Sport Premium, Heated seats, Front & Rear park assist, Sat Nav, 18" Proteus alloys, tinted rear windows, Heko wind deflectors

12. Thanks Jag75 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Its very sad now that they have all gone,I spent my life in places like Appleyard , McHarg Rennie and Lindsay, Fergusons of Drumclog
    and Arnold Clark at Mount Vernon which probably had one of the best Jaguar selections in the West of Scotland at that time.
    The E Type was still available to buy new, but now with the V12 it had drastically put on the weight in comparison to earlier models,it had
    gone from a lithe sports car to a bulbous GT. My grandfathers sister owned a smallholding near Newhouse and she bought nothing else
    but the P6 both in SC and TC guises, she never drove and looking back on it I wonder how she sourced her vehicles , she had no husband
    and had a succession of drivers, years later you wonder how she paid them. My father only ever came close to owning a Rover 3500 S once
    in his motoring life and that was when a digger driver from Harthill wanted to do a deal to swop for the Fathers Dolomite Sprint, both cars
    were 73 Models, the boy even brought the Rover to the front door but the old man being a Triumph man wouldn't do the deal and wasn't
    about to be swayed by an 11 year old kid either.
    I must have seen your Vitesse at the NEC as I go every year apart from last, for me the Vitesse a comparatively rare beast was one of those
    cars that came perhaps too late in the models lifetime to have the impact it should have, Leyland and Rover Triumph had many of these over the
    years that for want of proper development or more investment were just missed opportunities to take the brand forward in the market place.
    I wasn't too sure if I had imagined the Allegro version, they were an awful car in my opinion though the Vanden Plas you own was a dignified
    mini limousine , and as I said earlier you wonder where they were pitched in the Market Place, different times back then.

14. Thanks Jag75 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I got my hands dirty starting out as an apprentice for Rover (Farnells in Guiseley) I've loved the brand ever since and have owned a few. Unfortunately with all the kids and modern work, a classic car isn't right for us yet so a few more years! I started in '93 when thy were just changing the brand to the new 200,400,600 and 800 series. However I still had the pleasure of working on the older cars.

They were superb cars in there time, my first one being a 214 3 door coupe ( I thought it was a racing car at the time!) my mate had an orion 1.3 which was like a rattle box compared to my smooth, quiet 1.4 fuel injected beast! It was the sli spec so had all the toys for a '90's car like electric windows, plush carpets, velour trim and even air conditioning. It also had an Am/Fm radio with......wait for it 4 speakers!

I remember rebuilding hundreds of gear boxes for the 1.4 range as the diff washers and input shaft bearings constantly failed on them. Head gaskets were constantly failing too and the early ones really struggled with sticking valves.
    2007 X-Type Saloon sport 2.5 AWD in Black.

2010 Zafira Elite 1.9 CDTI (with the chocolate M32 Box)

20 years experience with motor vehicle engineering.

16. Likes Ian D liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I only ever owned one Rover the 220 Turbo Coupe and although I reached 150 mph in it several times it was absolute junk .
    The shaft jumped out of the Gearbox at somewhere north of 140 mph at 2am on the M1 near Toddington Services , it scared
    the life out of me as an Engineer told me I could easily have been killed , needless to say I got shot as soon as it was fixed for
    an E55 Mercedes . Evans who were at that time the Milton Keynes Mercedes Agent had the Rover sat on a rostrum as their
    " Used Car of the Week " I was dating a beautiful Nigerian Doctor who sadly died from Breast Cancer , we would drive past in
    the E55 laughing at the Rover on the rostrum .