Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Any "other" cars in the stable?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Jim it's a small world this Britsh motoring scene!

Post Thanks / Like
    With the demise of my XF after the problems I had with Parks Jaguar Ayr and of course with Jaguar, yesterday we collected a stunning Mercedes 220 CLS Shooting Brake.

I never thought I would go this route, buying German I mean, but having driven many cars over the years the CLS stands out in first place so far.
    Its an ex demo which came fully loaded with extras and just reached 1000 miles today. Other than the lower power (my choice) it has everything and more than the Jaguar offers but I’ve no doubt some will disagree.
    Mercedes CLS AMG design Shooting Brake.

Post Thanks / Like
    The only Merc I've ever driven was a Sprinter, so probably not the best comparison for comfort and toys. Sometimes a change is nice, I very much doubt that I'll drive a Jaguar all my life.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jag75 View Post
    With the demise of my XF after the problems I had with Parks Jaguar Ayr and of course with Jaguar, yesterday we collected a stunning Mercedes 220 CLS Shooting Brake.

I never thought I would go this route, buying German I mean, but having driven many cars over the years the CLS stands out in first place so far.
    Its an ex demo which came fully loaded with extras and just reached 1000 miles today. Other than the lower power (my choice) it has everything and more than the Jaguar offers but I’ve no doubt some will disagree.
    I don't know about disagree but some will no doubt say that its early days . I have owned several Mercedes the last being an E55 and I currently run
    5 Sprinters . Milton Keynes has more Mercedes than possibly the rest of the Country on account of the Head Office being based here and their Employee
    and Friends Scheme where even the African Cleaner drives one . I don't doubt you will be happy with the CLS just don't expect it to be the Mercedes of old
    because like Jaguar and BMW , manufacturers now build cars to a Price not necessarily to a Standard of Quality

5. Likes 20inchguns liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Current cars:-
    2008 x type 2.0D s
    1989 Porsche 944 cabriolet.
    2013 fiat 500.

Post Thanks / Like
    My pride and joy, porsche 944 s2 cabriolet
    Recently had a new burgundy roof fitted to replace the original black, all belts, rollers and tensioners replaced along with water pump and timing chain. New sills and wings, new tyres, oe replacement badges, decals and stone guards, new number plates and interior overmats. new windscreen, new brake lines and a total repaint in the original black. Only comes out in the spring and summer months, never sees rain.

Last edited by Al n; 28-11-17 at 23:56.
    Current cars:-
    2008 x type 2.0D s
    1989 Porsche 944 cabriolet.
    2013 fiat 500.

8. Thanks JimC64 thanked for this post
    Likes JimC64, stevemiller, Tink liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks lovely Al, babied to the max obviously too!

Jim
    MY2008 ( 58 ) XJ X358 2.7 Tdvi Sovereign LWB remapped to 245bhp, Black, Ivory leather interior with black piping, 20" Alloys
    MY2009 ( 58 ) X type 2.2d Sport Premium, Heated seats, Front & Rear park assist, Sat Nav, 18" Proteus alloys, tinted rear windows, Heko wind deflectors

10. Thanks Al n thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by reddiesel View Post
    I don't know about disagree but some will no doubt say that its early days . I have owned several Mercedes the last being an E55 and I currently run
    5 Sprinters . Milton Keynes has more Mercedes than possibly the rest of the Country on account of the Head Office being based here and their Employee
    and Friends Scheme where even the African Cleaner drives one . I don't doubt you will be happy with the CLS just don't expect it to be the Mercedes of old
    because like Jaguar and BMW , manufacturers now build cars to a Price not necessarily to a Standard of Quality
    Our town hosts the Merc Sindelfingen plant where the Es, CLSs, Ss, Maybachs, AMG GTs are assembled and it feels like there are more Mercs here than all other cars put together! Almost all workers, present or retired, get the option of 1-2 cars per year at a good discount. So, not including the African project managers, who get company cars anyway, most workers take one even if they sell it on every year at just about the same as they paid for them. They often have customers waiting and have actually speced the car for that customer.

When you take the factory tour, you see that Mercedes still makes some attempt to build a better car. How much is marketing and how much is also done by other manufacturers is not clear. However, in Schwabenland, if you don't have a Porsche, then you should have a Merc. The Germans are even parochial about their purchasing choices

A new CLS is about to hit the market: http://www.evo.co.uk/mercedes/cls/20...rce=newsletter
    S-Type 3.0 Manual MY2001 in Pacific Blue with Cashmere Leather Sport Seats, Sunroof, Melbourne Alloys, Premium Sound plus some other stuff ... 55k miles.
    XKR 5.0 Speed Pack MY2011 in Polaris White with Ivory/Charcoal Leather, Nevis Alloys and R-Performance Interior plus some other stuff ... 16k miles.
    FIAT Coupe MY1997 in Steel Grey with Tan Leather ... 55k miles.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Neilr View Post
    Our town hosts the Merc Sindelfingen plant where the Es, CLSs, Ss, Maybachs, AMG GTs are assembled and it feels like there are more Mercs here than all other cars put together! Almost all workers, present or retired, get the option of 1-2 cars per year at a good discount. So, not including the African project managers, who get company cars anyway, most workers take one even if they sell it on every year at just about the same as they paid for them. They often have customers waiting and have actually speced the car for that customer.

When you take the factory tour, you see that Mercedes still makes some attempt to build a better car. How much is marketing and how much is also done by other manufacturers is not clear. However, in Schwabenland, if you don't have a Porsche, then you should have a Merc. The Germans are even parochial about their purchasing choices

A new CLS is about to hit the market: http://www.evo.co.uk/mercedes/cls/20...rce=newsletter
    I totally understand that scenario Neil and I have long admired the Germans for their Engineering Prowess and Brand Loyalty .
    I have owned thirteen Jaguars over the years and I simply don't class them in the same bracket and I include the DB9 in that
    statement also . Jaguars I buy with my heart more than my head and I always have done , for me its akin to sticking a Union
    Jack in the window . The other quality that a Jaguar enjoys over most German Brands ( Audi can run them pretty close ) is the
    beauty of the styling , is that largely gone now ? Probably so .

Post Thanks / Like
    Al, my step dad has a '79 Porsche 924 he's been working on for a few years now, I often get called in for a second set of hands when the work goes beyond a single person job and have even been allowed the keys on occasion (which is saying something as it's his pride and joy).

Reddiesel, there is something about the way British cars were designed cosmetically, especially the interiors; to me a good British car always makes me look over my shoulder when I park up and walk away. Although this is only my second Jaguar (with the first being a '93 XJ40), I have owned countless Rovers over the years and was toying with getting my second Rover 800 when I bought the S-Type, although the 800 seems to have a bad reputation with motor journalists there's something about them, that and the Rover800 forums is an amazing community.

14. Likes Al n liked this post
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast