Thread: Oil Pressure problem with E Type 4.2

Post Thanks / Like

Oil Pressure problem with E Type 4.2

The oil pressure p. s. I. on the gauge keeps fluctuating, either it is zero or 60 p.s.i or then 40 or drops down to 5. This can be when travelling at a constant 50/60 mph. Have replaced the oil pressure gauge with a new one, also a new matching sender unit but problem remains. There does not appear to be any worrying noises from the engine We are now scratching our heads as to what this could be, any ideas please?
    Thanks,
    Stanley

Post Thanks / Like
    Find someone with a Volt/Ohm Meter (aka VOM) that can check the voltage at the back of the meter for you. If as Steve in Las Vegas said you instrument voltage regulator is failing then you will see more than 10VDC at the back of your instruments. The regulator is a small metal can that is mounted on the back of the fold down panel at the top drivers side. It has green and green yellow wires on it. Once you know that then you can move to other ideas or replace that part.
    Jim.
    2009 XK 5.0L PortfolioPast:-87'XJS 3.6L, 93'XJ40 3.2L gold, 95'XJ6 4.0L sport, 00'XJ8 3.2L sport, 2005 XK8 4.2L coupe in that order and enjoyed all of 'em.

I do not offer advice, I only say what I would do with the set of circumstances presented. Your choice always.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Jim,

does the E Type also use this regulator for the fuel and temperature gauges, if it's faulty then those will also be erratic. Variations of such magnitude indicates to me a very poor connection which is affected by movement\vibration?

Alec
    2004 2.5 X Type Estate, MK 2 3.8 (Long term restoration), 2.5 P.I. Triumph saloon, 564 Hymer motorhome.

4. Thanks Stanley thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I believe it does Alec. I also agree on a bad connection or wiring fault being the most likely cause to the OP's problem as he has replaced the sender and the gauge.
    Jim.
    2009 XK 5.0L PortfolioPast:-87'XJS 3.6L, 93'XJ40 3.2L gold, 95'XJ6 4.0L sport, 00'XJ8 3.2L sport, 2005 XK8 4.2L coupe in that order and enjoyed all of 'em.

I do not offer advice, I only say what I would do with the set of circumstances presented. Your choice always.

6. Thanks Stanley thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would fit a mechanical gauge.
    Cant go wrong and gives true pressure.
    Jaguar Keys & Remotes
    Castle Locks
    196 London Rd
    Hadleigh
    Essex
    SS7 2PD

07792 552423
    01702 555557
    castle.locks@btinternet.com

8. Thanks Stanley thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    A mechanical gauge is a good idea to make sure that the oil pressure is as it should be (I used them on rover v8's renowned for poor oil pressure...), then investigate the rest of the sensor / wiring / gauge and supply.
    2005 X-type 2.2D estate 16" wheels & michelin snow tyres for the winter season

Post Thanks / Like
    Many thanks for the advice, will get it checked out,
    Regards
    Stanley

Post Thanks / Like
    First thing to do is get a mechanical pressure gauge screwed into an oilway to ascertain the actual oil pressure. I don't want to alarm you but I had a similar problem many years ago that was traced to failed oil pump seals. If all is ok then you need to check the voltage stabiliser as noted by another "threader". Good luck.