Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Not a newbie, but I do have newbie questions.

Post Thanks / Like

Not a newbie, but I do have newbie questions.

Hi guys, I am sure some of you will know I currently have the X100 but some have suggested "upgrading" (their words not mine, flame proof shirt on now) to a X150. Now I know the X100 XKR changed in 2003. Correcting faults/mistakes with earlier models. Did the same thing happen with the X150?

If I did change id want a XKR convertible version. Something along the lines of a 2008? Guessing £25k+? or did they change and loose something from an earlier model?

Are there desirable options that I should be looking out for? E.g heated steering wheels?

Is there a version of Zircon Blue, a good Silver version or a nice blue option?

Any other information would be gladly accepted.

Thanks!
    2003 Zircon Blue XKR Convertible.
    It's in the detail.

To see index of "Franks Story" up to 8th March 2017 Please Click Here. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    No the 4.2 X150 XKR never had any major changes, they came about with the introduction of the 5.0L. The 4.2 X150 had a few major changes from the X100 such as VVT and the paddle shifts it is pretty much bullet proof.
    As to a Zircon blue convertible, well I'm biased... very few were produced it was only available for one year and it was replaced by Frost blue which is pretty close. There are darker shades such as Kyanite
    2007 XKR Convertible , Zircon Blue, Ivory leather.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Shmee View Post
    No the 4.2 X150 XKR never had any major changes, they came about with the introduction of the 5.0L. The 4.2 X150 had a few major changes from the X100 such as VVT and the paddle shifts it is pretty much bullet proof.
    As to a Zircon blue convertible, well I'm biased... very few were produced it was only available for one year and it was replaced by Frost blue which is pretty close. There are darker shades such as Kyanite
    Thats exactly what I mean. When did they shift from 4.2 to 5.00L? After a certain date are they all 5.00L or was it an option? Frost Blue and Kyanite, thanks I will look those up. Tell me when they introduced the 5ltr version did they drop the 'R'? Seem to able to find lost of XK's but fewer 'R's.

Thanks for the reply.
    It's in the detail.

Post Thanks / Like
    2010 MY for the 5.0L, no more 4.2 after that, the R was always available but the XK in 5.0L form had 380bhp, not far off the 4.2 XKR.

The 4.2 XKR, well my one has 420bhp stock, but in 07/08 went down to 416bhp, like you'd notice. The 5.0L XKR had 503bhp but not much different in 0-60 time. The big change was the gearbox changed to the next generation, it got an e-diff and the interior underwent a big change the J gate went and the rotary shifter came in. Cosmetically the front end changed a fair bit, later the headlights changed too.

The colour palette for the 5.0L cars became much darker and restricted IMHO. I prefer the 4.2L XKR. I'd like a Dynamic R convertible but they're very rare and I'd do something sacrilegious like respraying it non stock.
    2007 XKR Convertible , Zircon Blue, Ivory leather.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Shmee View Post
    2010 MY for the 5.0L, no more 4.2 after that, the R was always available but the XK in 5.0L form had 380bhp, not far off the 4.2 XKR.

The 4.2 XKR, well my one has 420bhp stock, but in 07/08 went down to 416bhp, like you'd notice. The 5.0L XKR had 503bhp but not much different in 0-60 time. The big change was the gearbox changed to the next generation, it got an e-diff and the interior underwent a big change the J gate went and the rotary shifter came in. Cosmetically the front end changed a fair bit, later the headlights changed too.

The colour palette for the 5.0L cars became much darker and restricted IMHO. I prefer the 4.2L XKR. I'd like a Dynamic R convertible but they're very rare and I'd do something sacrilegious like respraying it non stock.
    Yep you have got me thinking now. If there is not much change in performance from the 4.2 XKR then the main changes are basically cosmetic. Different gear changes, body style and 'toys' in the cockpit. I have to admit that is my weakness, boys toys (not toy boys that's something entirely different, which I am NOT into by the way.)

I intended to try and go for the 5Ltr but if as you say there is not much difference performance wise then I wont bother. Rather have a nice colour and the same performance.

Thanks for the replies.
    It's in the detail.

Post Thanks / Like
    The 5.0l cars do make a filthy noise though, especially with the active exhaust.
    2005 Jaguar S-Type R in Ebony Black

Post Thanks / Like
    Ohh my little XKR produces some lovely music. Been told by a couple of my neighbours that they love the sound of my car driving off into the distance. Hmmm or it could just be a hint though..........

I have noticed that the cars are starting to meet in value though. The top of the range X100 are around the bottom rungs of the X150. Seen a couple of X100's costing more than some X150's.
    It's in the detail.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmmmm, sounds like someone's tempted and having thoughts??
    Keep us posted Frank

Jim
    MY2008 ( 58 ) XJ X358 2.7 Tdvi Sovereign LWB remapped to 245bhp, Black, Ivory leather interior with black piping, 20" Alloys
    MY2007 Audi A6 3.0 Tdi SE Quattro 176bhp Stratos Blue, Front & Rear park assist, Comms Pack High, Sline grille badge, 19" 7 twin spoke RS4 alloys,
    Rear tints, Dipped bulbs 80W, Mainbeams 100W, Foglights 100W, Number plate bulb LED's, Interior bulb LED's, First Aid Kit

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JimC64 View Post
    Hmmmm, sounds like someone's tempted and having thoughts??
    Keep us posted Frank

Jim
    As mentioned before one or two have suggested going over to the dark side and buying the X150. There is nothing at all wrong with my XKR. All the parts, hopefully, that could wear out have been replaced. Rust proofed, if there is such a thing, from front to back. Gearbox serviced, the entire suspension replaced. Now I am down to the basics of cosmetic repairs. Bonnet insulation to be done. Minor paint blemishes. The exhaust needs to be de-rusted, not repaired, just cleaned up. Then to be honest that is it. My ambition was to get the car back to factory, if not better, standard and I am almost there. Some parts are now actually better than factory standard. So I need another project, yes I know I should just sit back and enjoy it.

This time, hopefully, I am a little more 'clued up' on what I would like. Not worried about the year of an X150 just need to get the right one with all the options so I do not need to modify it later. Problem is I dont know what those extra options are. For example I have hear people mention heated steering wheels. Is that an option or standard? Cruise control is there an adaptive version? I was tempted to go for the 5ltr version as I thought it would be better performance but apparently not. XKR but that was phased out with the 5Ltr? Then of course its what colour. I love my Zircon Blue but I am sure there is an equally nice version on this car. Interior do I go for another sideboard or go silver or black? I definitely want Ivory or cream interior and a convertible.

Lots to ponder and investigate. That is why I am on here. You guys have the knowledge so I am just trying to use that to find the best one for me. So come on guys post up your favourite colours and options to go for. Thanks!

This is the beauty I am thinking of replacing.

[img][/img]
    Last edited by frankc; 30-03-17 at 06:35.
    It's in the detail.

Post Thanks / Like
    There is definitely a 5.0 XKR! It's a lot of fun and makes the sorts of popping noises on overrun that would make the hooligan inside you happy.

I'm not sure I could really notice the extra performance over the 4.2 'R' though.
    2005 Jaguar S-Type R in Ebony Black

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast