Thread: Help please Re: Draining Fuel Tank

Post Thanks / Like

Help please Re: Draining Fuel Tank

Hi Everyone,

I have got a 1969 2+2 LHD and would like to drain the fuel tank. Do I just undo the nut on the end of the 'tube' that sticks out of the bottom of the petrol tank?

Any help would be greatfully received.

Kind regards,

Andy

Post Thanks / Like
    Problem now solved.
    I received an explanation from another forum.
    To any E-type owner wanting to know, the answer is 'yes'
    Regards,
    Andy

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry for late response, I have just joined the forum. I had a lot of problems with fuel starvation, changed pump etc, and eventually realised that the pump was not picking up enough fuel. Removed the tank top panel and found that the bottom of the tank had accumulated a thick deposit of black tar like material, which I concluded was the coating from the inside of the tank. This had completely clogged the feed pipe sock filter, leading to the fuel starvation. This pipe / filter is located in the small collector tube at the bottom of the tank, visible from the outside of the car underneath. Of course, with this deposit in the bottom of the tank, nothing was coming out of the drain hole! My solution was to remove the sock filter altogether, with just the open pipe in the tank (after cleaning out of course) and to add a glass filter in the feed line to the pump. This filter can be a) seen to be clear or not, and b) easily dismantled to clean it out if necessary. No problem since. Conclusion: Modern unleaded fuel has removed the inside coating of the tank, and a long period without use allowed it to settle and clog the bottom of the tank. And the tank drain now works too.

4. Likes SV8Predator liked this post